Chronic's Completed Builds

Started by TheChronicOne, November 24, 2016, 01:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

More C.R.A.P.!  Chronic's Really Awesome Pictures that is..(ha..  I love acronyms)...   I was going to make that the title but my own decency will not allow it. Proclaiming myself to be awesome and all that... ehhh..   So Chronic's Completed Builds is what it is instead.  Been trying to get this done for like 2 or 3 weeks but have been busy/lazy.  Today being Thanksgiving in the U.S. I have some free time so here goes.

I wanted a place outside of my blog to put the pictures of my finished builds so they are easier to find, etc. As it is, everything aside from GB's is talked about in the blog but that means lots of stuff to sort through to get to pictures. I'm already at over a dozen pages so I need something more efficient.

All of the "in progress" stuff and pictures of that will remain in the blog and only thing I'll put here are pictures of the finished projects and links to the build page(s).  As with the blog, discussion is more than welcome! I just don't want to bog this down with dozens of my WIP posts and funnies. Nothing but finished builds pictures and conversation here.

I plan to do this chronologically. I took a 20 year hiatus from doing models and I was just a teenager back when I quit. I just started again around 6 months ago so bear in mind my stuff probably isn't all that great but I try to keep it interesting and I've learned a lot already and I think my stuff is getting better. But, we'll go in order and see if I am truly getting better or not.   ;D

With all this in mind, the first plane done since coming back was the Testors quick build P-51 Mustang I scored for $3 flat off Ebay. I decided to make it a Mirror Universe (Star Trek) plane of the Terran Empire.. uhhh... Air Force or whatever.

I tried my hand at weathering and I don't know whether it worked or not.. I mean... I guess it did?  I didn't really know what I was doing. I read up on it but once underway it was like a monkey loving a football.

Not really a build page, (wasn't a member here when I started and finished it) but the thread about it is here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42665.0.html
Anyway, there you have it.. Terran Empire P-51.

It's taking a while to get all this stuff sorted out and gathered up but more to come very soon.

Thanks for stopping by!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Next up was the first built I started AND completed whilst a member here. It is a Yak 9 that I just sort of slapped a scheme together on. No true back story (although I had one in the works) and not even really sure what branch of the military it is although the transfers came from a Navy F/A-18.

Build page: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42694.0.html
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

First ever civil aircraft. I wanted to wait around and practice more before starting this but I was just waaaay too excited to get under way so I just went for it. I had quite a few problems with it but in the end it turned out pretty well. One of my favorites of my whole collection.  :laugh:   I wrote a pretty nifty back story for it, as well, so you might be interested in that.

Build page and story here (the whole thread is sort of written as a story) : http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42714.0.html
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

This one was done for practice in preparation for the group build. I wanted to hone my skills just a tiny bit before I tried making my entries for the OKGB. I did this one OOB and in the "historically accurate" livery.

Build here, pages 1-3:  http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42778.0.html
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

First ever group build!  First plane completed for it. An Airfix Yak 9 from the old bagged kit made into a flight team demonstration plane. I really like this one!!!

Build page and quite a few more pictures here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42808.0.html
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Second OKGB build. From the Minicraft/Hasegawa  MiG 27 kit from the late 70's I believe it was. Made into a USAF production jet.

Build page:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42766.0.html

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

This was SUPPOSED to be a Halloween Surprise for you all here, but I failed to get the kit soon enough.  Good thing, though, as I was able to put more effort into it instead of rushing. The newest tool Airfix T.11 made into Draculas personal plane for the Imperial Transylvanian Air Corp.

Build here, pages 10-14: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42778.135.html

-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

You're stacking up quite a display! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Yeah,it's a lot of fun! Thanks!  I've had to dispense with hobbies(other than bargain basement video games) for years now, it's good to have one again. I discovered "whif" and met all you crazy cats, etc.   Starting to worry about where to put all this stuff, though.
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 24, 2016, 02:11:01 PM
This was SUPPOSED to be a Halloween Surprise for you all here, but I failed to get the kit soon enough.  Good thing, though, as I was able to put more effort into it instead of rushing. The newest tool Airfix T.11 made into Draculas personal plane for the Imperial Transylvanian Air Corp.
This twin-boomer is my favourite in your collection :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Tophe on November 25, 2016, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 24, 2016, 02:11:01 PM
This twin-boomer is my favourite in your collection :thumbsup:
Heheh!  I am not surprised.  :D :D   Thanks, friend.  It's definitely an interesting bird and was a fun build. And..... one can never go wrong with the twin boomers.. ;)
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 25, 2016, 12:24:06 PM
one can never go wrong with the twin boomers.. ;)
Thanks for these words of Wisdom! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

strobez

The fact that you built Dracula's personal plane out of a DeHaviland Vampire makes you my personal hero! Are you sure you just started up again six months ago? Those are some pretty impressive builds. I can empathize with the feeling of how nice it is to have a hobby again - I'm more or less the same. I started up again about six months ago too, after messing around with some crazy glue and plastic cars as a kid. I'm really enjoying the craftsmanship aspect rather than being overly concerned with realistic accuracy. That's why I love this What if forum. It puts me in contact with people who are more interested in creating Transylvania Air Force One rather than a specific plane from a specific squadron.
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Wow, thanks dude!!  Yup, just six months ago. I built a couple Trek models in 2009 just to "play" (I was bed ridden and ill and needed SOMETHING to do) but the last model I made was in 1996. Independence Day just came out and I went to see that, then bought an  F/A18 to build. I 14 years old. After that, I stopped. Even had 2-3 kits in the stash. One was a ship that I did build.. forgot about that.. I don't even remember when.. early 2000's but that was essentially the end of the hobby.   You know how it is at that age... Kids stop trying to do kids things and do more adult things and modeling was one of my "kids" hobbies.

But yeah, back at it now since June or July. I'd never done things like use filler, sand, etc before. I can say, the internet has helped as I've spent many many hours looking over articles and stuff about techniques. I also think years and years of doing construction and trade type work has helped a bit.  But mainly... having patience has helped.  I could say the same for you, those planes you finished up the other day turned out GREAT!  Truly!  I'm only just now figuring out how to not butcher canopies.  LOL

"I'm really enjoying the craftsmanship aspect rather than being overly concerned with realistic accuracy. That's why I love this What if forum. It puts me in contact with people who are more interested in creating Transylvania Air Force One rather than a specific plane from a specific squadron."

I couldn't agree more!  Not much to add to that as you nailed it.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and I look forward to more of your builds and more chit chat in the future.  :D 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Managed to crank out another bird today.   :laugh:

The first kit ever produced by Italarei when they were Aliplast.    Correction, this may be Aliplast's first kit but they actually split, one owner went on to become Italeriei, the other became Supermodels, the latter continued to produce the Centauro, not Italerei.  (This is what I get for trusting rando quotes I see on the net!! My source was only partially correct.) 

The Fiat G.55 Centauro done up as Vatican City Air Force plane in the Transylvanian Empire fictional universe. The Vampires had to have SOMEONE to square of with. .  ;)  (1/72)

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,43045.0.html
-Sprues McDuck-