Chronic's Completed Builds

Started by TheChronicOne, November 24, 2016, 01:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: zenrat on January 31, 2018, 07:04:22 PM
Could the reason for all white gliders be weight?  If whatever the outer skin is made of is white then painting it will add weight.

Could be - there again, a 'skin' like they used for the Air NZ LoTR schemes would save a fair bit of weight? But it's probably be astronomically costlier than paint, too...

It probably comes down to cost - white paint would be cheaper for the manufacturer and hence, the consumer.

Tophe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 31, 2018, 04:20:00 PM
1/72 scale SZD 16 "Gil" Polish glider as a "Racing Glider."  :laugh:
Not famous, so this is providing us with surprise, in a nice way ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Could the reason for all white gliders be weight?  If whatever the outer skin is made of is white then painting it will add weight.

Most gliders these days are made from fibreglass or various composites and the outer skin is self coloured, although some have stripes added.

A couple picked at random at my club :-

An ASK-21 (available as a Revell 1/32 kit) Yeah, I know it says ASH-25 Light on the side, but that's a gliding joke...

A Duo Discus, the highest performance sailplane I've flown. And also a Revell kit.

Older gliders were built from steel tubing, wood and fabric covering, like this K-13, and were painted in any scheme you liked.
That's me making a rubbish landing in it BTW......  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Squizzaa on January 31, 2018, 06:56:59 PM
Looks great.
Thanks! It turned out a real treat despite all attempts at assassination.  ;D

I like that an engineless aircraft is sponsored by oil companies amongst others.
Good job Brad C.

One of my favorite aspects.  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Tophe on February 03, 2018, 01:27:36 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 31, 2018, 04:20:00 PM
1/72 scale SZD 16 "Gil" Polish glider as a "Racing Glider."  :laugh:
Not famous, so this is providing us with surprise, in a nice way ;)

Right on!  Thanks... that's why I dig stuff like this. As far as the meta model building community globally is concerned, I can toss a stone and have it bounce off 15 Spitfires but how many lil cute lil gliders are being bandied about!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2018, 04:40:46 AM

Most gliders these days are made from fibreglass or various composites and the outer skin is self coloured, although some have stripes added.

A couple picked at random at my club :-

An ASK-21 (available as a Revell 1/32 kit) Yeah, I know it says ASH-25 Light on the side, but that's a gliding joke...

A Duo Discus, the highest performance sailplane I've flown. And also a Revell kit.

Older gliders were built from steel tubing, wood and fabric covering, like this K-13, and were painted in any scheme you liked.
That's me making a rubbish landing in it BTW......  :banghead:

Man, that Duo Discus is gorgeous!!! I'm going to have to get that kit and build that sucker.

Looks like a good landing to me?  Or is there a hedge row or pole just out of frame?

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 04, 2018, 04:46:24 AM

Man, that Duo Discus is gorgeous!!! I'm going to have to get that kit and build that sucker.

Isn't it? The Concorde of sailplanes, that wing shape is amazing. I flew one for 2.5 hrs, and it was just mind blowing.

It's a BIG aircraft in 1/32 though, you'll need big shelves.

Quote from: TheChronicOne on February 04, 2018, 04:46:24 AM

Looks like a good landing to me?  Or is there a hedge row or pole just out of frame?

That was the second bounce..............  :banghead:

The spoilers were going in and out like a one armed paper hanger.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Aye!!  ;D

And uhhh.... 1/32 huh... hmmm.... well, It would have to go from the ceiling then!!  Banked perhaps so I can put the lil engine on top and still be able to see it...  :lol: :mellow:
Them wings tho... I agree... they're bird-like.. I can almost see them flapping.

These gliders are cool. I think I dig these more than some troop ship or something from WWII.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Here's a pic of the Revell Duo Discus kit, and that's a 1/72 scale CF-104 in the middle for comparison!

I told you it was big..........  :o

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Those wings would look great on the Starfighter.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Dizzyfugu

You might laugh, but that would not be too far away from a U-2...

TheChronicOne

Matter of fact, sure enough!!!  All kinds of ideas rollin' around now. . .. . .   :unsure:
-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

my laugh was of pleasure : I am actually tempted !

(and might be tempted to add a float or two as well ...)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 06, 2018, 02:48:33 AM

Those wings would look great on the Starfighter.

What makes you think that I, of all people, hadn't already thought of that?  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Real world this time. 1/72 scale Pioneer2 (PM) kit done with craft acrylics by hairy stick. Scratch built the exhaust and stuff on the spinner.

More here, pages 112 and therebouts: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,42778.1665.html

EDIT:  It's a Fokker D.XXI     
-Sprues McDuck-