Chronic's Completed Builds

Started by TheChronicOne, November 24, 2016, 01:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Does it pretend to run into a pane of glass?

Sorry... I couldn't resist! :wacko:
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Over me head, Greg!!!  ;D     
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

As promised!  This is the first Spitfire I built back in 1991 or 1992? 93 maybe?  20-25 years ago, we'll just put it like that. I was 11, 12, 13....   something. I don't have no damn clue what mark it is or anything like that.... I didn't paint canopy framig, I didn't fix seams... I put the transfers right on top of matte acrylic paint (amazingly they seemed to have stayed on relatively well though!! ), etc etc 

Fully intact!! Even all five prop blades are still on it.  :lol:

Old meets new! 

This is the kit it came from:

I have the other three, as well. I've posted a picture of two of them I think? Maybe???  I dunno. I'll try to get them all togeth for pics though. I think one other is complete still but the others are missing stuff... 
-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Quote from: strobez on July 30, 2018, 07:53:47 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 30, 2018, 01:50:56 AM
Over me head, Greg!!!  ;D   

https://media1.giphy.com/media/bOT2HL3xTXb0s/giphy.webp
;D ;D

I'm such a tool!!! It's obvious, now!   :banghead:

I used to be decent at the invisible box....   If I did that in public, though, I'd likely wind up in the stockade.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Snowtrooper

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 30, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
As promised!  This is the first Spitfire I built back in 1991 or 1992? 93 maybe?  20-25 years ago, we'll just put it like that. I was 11, 12, 13....   something. I don't have no damn clue what mark it is or anything like that.... I didn't paint canopy framig, I didn't fix seams... I put the transfers right on top of matte acrylic paint (amazingly they seemed to have stayed on relatively well though!! ), etc etc 
Based on the bubble canopy it looks like it's the very last Spitfire mark, F.24 (F.22 had bubble canopy too but was only used operationally by one squadron and the fuselage letters do not match to photos of that, F.23 was never built). There's certain symmetry here, the earlier build is one of the last Spits and the newer build is one of the very first (what with the two-blade propeller) ;D

EDIT: Royal Auxiliary Airforce used Mk 22 too, so could be that too, but my comment still stands.

EDIT 2: I googled, it's actually a Mk 22 of 610 Squadron from their time in RAuxAF. Oh well.

PR19_Kit

5 will get you 10 that it's the ancient Hawk kit, for years the only 1/72 Griffon engined Spitfire anywhere.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2018, 06:40:03 AM
5 will get you 10 that it's the ancient Hawk kit, for years the only 1/72 Griffon engined Spitfire anywhere.

Yup I remember getting that and feeling diddled because of the lack of undercarriage  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Snowtrooper on August 01, 2018, 05:13:09 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 30, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
Based on the bubble canopy it looks like it's the very last Spitfire mark, F.24 (F.22 had bubble canopy too but was only used operationally by one squadron and the fuselage letters do not match to photos of that, F.23 was never built). There's certain symmetry here, the earlier build is one of the last Spits and the newer build is one of the very first (what with the two-blade propeller) ;D

EDIT: Royal Auxiliary Airforce used Mk 22 too, so could be that too, but my comment still stands.

EDIT 2: I googled, it's actually a Mk 22 of 610 Squadron from their time in RAuxAF. Oh well.

Cheers!  Yeah,now that you mention it, it is pretty neat to have one of the first and one of the last together.  :mellow:

Now I just need to make the 3 or 4 in between!  ;) ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 01, 2018, 07:21:02 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2018, 06:40:03 AM

Yup I remember getting that and feeling diddled because of the lack of undercarriage  ;D

Sounds about right, this surely ain't got not UC (neither did the others ) and it has lots of glorious bigazz rivets and stuff. Wing pieces are in 1/3s and the wing roots up top are angled (vs. straight) and have a bit of a hockey stick thing going on.  I have to say, I really like it, though! Has a good look about it.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 01, 2018, 09:57:18 AM

3 or 4?  :o

More like 33 or 34!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Definitely the Hawk 22.  It's closer to an early production 22 before they switched to the Spiteful tail surfaces.  Even so, the fuselage has an odd cross section.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 01, 2018, 03:47:19 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 01, 2018, 09:57:18 AM

3 or 4?  :o

More like 33 or 34!
;D ;D

It's going to be years long ordeal I imagine, but with Spitfires, it's worth going for the gusto. Hard to have more "cool" factor :mellow: than with a Spitfire.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-