Gun DUWK

Started by Joe C-P, November 27, 2016, 02:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

During WW2 the USMC realized they needed a better method to bring artillery support to shore with the troops. Dragging 37mm guns through the surf was often difficult at best.
One inventor took a standard DUWK amphibious truck and adapted the upper turret of a Lee tank (sans cupola to save top weight) with its 37mm gun and coaxial machine gun, which resulted in this:

By the time production could be started other, better methods of bringing tanks to shore were being readied, so this became a one-time experiment.

This is a melding of a DUWK and some leftover parts of really old 1/72 tank models I've had since I was a wee lad, which was definitely before the 1980s.  ;)
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Hobbes

Poor driver, with the gun blasting away just over his head...

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

I can see it on Riverine operations . Maybe in Vietnam

Modelling_Mushi

Cool as !

But Joe, don't forget to add it to the finished builds thread.

Ciao
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Joe C-P

Quote from: Hobbes on November 27, 2016, 11:03:22 PM
Poor driver, with the gun blasting away just over his head...

That was the other reason it never went into service.  :rolleyes:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

I really do like that. Neat idea and build  :thumbsup:

If they can stick a London Fire Brigade ladder with mg's attached onto a DUCK then that is eminently sensible and plausible.

Could see it armed with a light weight 75mm howitzer as used on the Stuart chassis ? for use in the pacific.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Great idea ! Looks plausible to me, and actually surprised that it didn't happen ! I like the Riverine idea as well.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?