Su 22UG - PDRV Republican Guard

Started by zenrat, December 03, 2016, 03:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Su22 Fitter E  12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Supplied to the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria in CKD (Complete Knocked Down) form and built up with local engines, radar and guns the Su 22UG was a dedicated attack version of the Su 22U trainer with the rear seat turned over to a weapons operator.
Su22 Fitter E  15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
As with the Su 22U only one gun is carried.  In this case a 20mm gatling in the right wing root.
Su22 Fitter E  4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The PDVR Republican Guard used the 22 in a variety of strike roles but the aircraft pictured is configured for cross border anti-radar missions with a pair of Kh-31 ARMs capable of targeting both ground and airbourne radars and thus viable against SAM sites, Early Warning Installations and AWACs.
Su22 Fitter E  17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The Model:
Hobbycraft Su 22U Fitter E.
Scratchbuilt back seat consoles.
Nose cone replaced with a section of 1/48 drop tank.
1/35 Minigun barrel.
AS-17 Kryptons from ICM Soviet Air to Ground missile set.
Su22 Fitter E  5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
PDRV border camo scheme developed by sitting (liquid fuelled) on a veranda on the Victorian side of the River Murray gazing at the hills on the New South Wales side and working out what colours you'd use to paint a warplane operating there.
Su22 Fitter E  16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The kits a bit of a mixed bag.  Engraved panel lines are good but there is no detail in the wheel wells and the undercarriage itself is simplified.  Cockpit detail is vey basic.  Fit is mostly good except for some issues on the wings which needed material removed from inside to allow them so swing right back fully.  Its a good start is you want to build a Fitter and are willing to put a bit of effort in (or don't care if its a bit simplified).  Would I build another?  Yes.  I will build the Fitter F (single seater) I have in my stash.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

That long nose cone changes the look of the Fitter completely! Nice work - the scheme reminds me of some contemporary Ukrainian Su-25s with a splinter scheme?

NARSES2

Nice one mate  :thumbsup:

The canopy reminds me of some of those under fusalage gondolas bombers used to have. Just needs a couple of guns sticking out the back  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That's a mean looking beast with that loooong nose and the weapons fit.  :thumbsup:

I'm glad I don't live in NSW......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 03, 2016, 05:35:59 AM
The canopy reminds me of some of those under fusalage gondolas bombers used to have. Just needs a couple of guns sticking out the back  ;D

LOL. But you are right...!  ;)

DogfighterZen

Very nice work, love the gatling gun detail especially, but everything else is also very good! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

The Rat

Man, that is one gorgeous bit of work! Bravo!  :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Thanks folks.  Glad you like it.

I used the same basic camo shapes I had used on the MiG 29.  The MiG 29 scheme being taken from this Cuban one with the colours changed.

http://www.mig.mariwoj.pl/mig-29-cu.htm
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks Womby.  And both in Mordor's scale too... ;D
Fred

Old Wombat

Sheesh! Don't remind me! I must be ill! :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

OOOH!! very very nice builds, both the Mig and the Sukhoi, look great Fred.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Fred

comrade harps

Eye popping Riverina scheme there  :thumbsup: 
Whatever.