Soviet GB Suggested Rules

Started by NARSES2, December 19, 2016, 02:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which clarification of the term 'Soviet' do you favour for the rules of this GB? (see reply #79 for details)

Anything Goes
21 (48.8%)
Soviet Russia Only
22 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: January 09, 2017, 09:31:39 AM

Weaver

Quote from: major on January 05, 2017, 05:05:20 PM
Quote from: Weaver on January 05, 2017, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: major on January 05, 2017, 09:36:33 AM

Sooooo! Which one do i select if I want to do a Mig-28?  :wacko:

I've never entered a GB, but, I've a bit of time on my hands and sorely tempted, in order to actually get something finished!

Give us the outlines of the backstory and we'll tell you! Basically, where is it made and who's flying it?

Well , I guess it's going to be built and operated by Soviet Russia. Quite fancy some of the demo and display team colours used by the Soviets!

In that case it'll be fine. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Leading Observer

Am I correct in thinking that ex-Third Reich machinery operated by the Soviet Union fit the Soviet only interpretation, as I have a couple of possibilities in mind for some of the late WW2/Luft'46 stuff
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Weaver

Quote from: Leading Observer on January 07, 2017, 02:52:17 AM
Am I correct in thinking that ex-Third Reich machinery operated by the Soviet Union fit the Soviet only interpretation, as I have a couple of possibilities in mind for some of the late WW2/Luft'46 stuff

Yes: if it's operated by the Soviet Union then it's okay.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

JasonW

Yes, that would be correct. Me-262 or some such in Soviet service/markings, or as developed further by Soviets post WW2 would be within the rules in either of the poll scenarios.
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

Leading Observer

Quote from: JasonW on January 07, 2017, 07:04:26 AM
Yes, that would be correct. Me-262 or some such in Soviet service/markings, or as developed further by Soviets post WW2 would be within the rules in either of the poll scenarios.

Great - I have an idea for an alternative Tu-4 [amoungst others]
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Leading Observer on January 07, 2017, 03:47:47 PM
Quote from: JasonW on January 07, 2017, 07:04:26 AM

Great - I have an idea for an alternative Tu-4 [amoungst others]

GMTA!! I was thinking of doing one, too! I was thinking of making a Cuban one. Instead of nuclear missiles, the Russians were sending Cuba Tu-4s..    Not sure if I'll get to it, though,  so I'm looking forward to seeing yours. 

Any how, I hope I'm not dragging the thread off topic. Just wanted to stop and say I like your idea. 
-Sprues McDuck-

ysi_maniac

Pity, If I could vote, there would be an even.  :banghead:
Will die without understanding this world.

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Tight!  I've got admit, I was hung and went with Soviet Russia only, one vote either way could have tipped it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Te outcome suits me down to the ground, hopefully the kits I have in mind, behave themselves and go together ok, and not cause me too much stress, as I have a prototype Tupolev and 1 possibly 2 MIG's too. Or I could get really creative and make something out of the spare russian armour bits I have, and hopefully it will have enough Russian parts on it to pass scrutineering of the G.B.
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

One issue we will certainly run into is the necessary mass of new NATO codes we will need, esp. for fighters! Looking forward to the weird ideas that certainly will come up.  ;)

zenrat

Ah good.  The result I wanted.
Close one but.

Dizz is right.  NATO reporting names will be a complication.  I don't want to make extra work for anyone but maybe we should have a moderated thread listing our choices to avoid any repetition?

Here is a relevant wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name
I note NATO doesn't differentiate between strike aircraft and fighters.  Maybe Whiff NATO should?  I would suggest "S" names.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

"S" names are used for surface-to-surface missiles; so I'd suggest "T" or "P" names for ground-attack/CAS/strike aircraft, if you really want to differentiate between them.

(Although, what do you call a Frogfoot under those circumstances? :unsure: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Hmm, yes.  Bugger.  I missed that.
Shame as I had some good S names in mind.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 10, 2017, 12:52:53 AM
One issue we will certainly run into is the necessary mass of new NATO codes we will need, esp. for fighters! Looking forward to the weird ideas that certainly will come up.  ;)
That's why you need to have a Tsar Bomba -sized hardcover Webster's Dictionary so you can browse for inspiration ;)

(Yes, I still find dead trees the preferable user interface for randomly browsing the pages.)