Soviet GB Suggested Rules

Started by NARSES2, December 19, 2016, 02:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which clarification of the term 'Soviet' do you favour for the rules of this GB? (see reply #79 for details)

Anything Goes
21 (48.8%)
Soviet Russia Only
22 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: January 09, 2017, 09:31:39 AM

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 10, 2017, 01:41:36 AM

Dizz is right.  NATO reporting names will be a complication.  I don't want to make extra work for anyone but maybe we should have a moderated thread listing our choices to avoid any repetition?

Doesn't matter if you are building from the Soviet side of the Iron Curtain. They didn't use them  ;D Only matters if the backstory involves a Western intelligence report or similar.

Mine won't need one as it will be 1944/45 or if they actually used them then Chinese circa 1948.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 10, 2017, 07:01:41 AM

Dizz is right.  NATO reporting names will be a complication.  I don't want to make extra work for anyone but maybe we should have a moderated thread listing our choices to avoid any repetition?

Doesn't matter if you are building from the Soviet side of the Iron Curtain. They didn't use them ;D Only matters if the backstory involves a Western intelligence report or similar.

Mine won't need one as it will be 1944/45 or if they actually used them then Chinese circa 1948.

But it's so nice to use them.  :wub:
May I reserve the name "Hemorroids" for an helicopter I'd like to build?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

JasonW

Quote from: loupgarou on January 10, 2017, 12:09:31 PM

May I reserve the name "Hemorrhoids" for an helicopter I'd like to build?
Consider the NATO reporting name "Hemorrhoids" reserved for you.

(See what I did there? Fixed it for you....) :)
It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.

- George Burns

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 10, 2017, 07:01:41 AM

Doesn't matter if you are building from the Soviet side of the Iron Curtain. They didn't use them  ;D Only matters if the backstory involves a Western intelligence report or similar.

I understand that they thought 'Frogfoot' was hilarious, hence the Czech Su-25 with the cartoon frog stomping on tanks that did the rounds back in the '90s (?).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Ah good.  The result I wanted.
Close one but.

Here is a relevant wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name
I note NATO doesn't differentiate between strike aircraft and fighters.  Maybe Whiff NATO should?  I would suggest "S" names.

Your wish is our command.

Well, it's more like a suggestion really, but we decided to humour you.... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on January 10, 2017, 08:00:22 PM
...Your wish is our command...

That really isn't a good idea you know.

Whaar haar ha...

:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

Am I right in thinking that the Soviet Union could, via a plausible backstory, be considered as not having ended in 1991?
The Cold War or even World War Three might be happening now?

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Dizzyfugu

Digging for ideas and potential builds to run under the Soviet GB, I came across a scope problem: what about license-built or bluntly copied Russian/Soviet designs that might have been built, developed or operated elsewhere? This concerns specifically China, where several MiG fighters (and the Il-28) were produced at first, and later these were the basis for local designs (but might also be true for Czechoslovakia and Poland, and other countries that might be whiffed to the list). Would such an aircraft also fall under the Soviet GB (as long as the Russian roots are still visible)?

One such case is the J-7FS, a rather "illegal" mutation of the MiG-21MF - not that I want to build one, but it's a good example for the "problem".  ;)

Any official comment?

Hman

At the risk of appearing a bit dim, is the matter of the rules settled now? 
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Weaver

Quote from: Hman on January 17, 2017, 02:21:59 AM
At the risk of appearing a bit dim, is the matter of the rules settled now?

The rules will be Soviet Russia Only as per the poll.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on January 15, 2017, 03:01:40 PM
Am I right in thinking that the Soviet Union could, via a plausible backstory, be considered as not having ended in 1991?
The Cold War or even World War Three might be happening now?

Yes, that's fine.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 16, 2017, 12:43:21 AM
Digging for ideas and potential builds to run under the Soviet GB, I came across a scope problem: what about license-built or bluntly copied Russian/Soviet designs that might have been built, developed or operated elsewhere? This concerns specifically China, where several MiG fighters (and the Il-28) were produced at first, and later these were the basis for local designs (but might also be true for Czechoslovakia and Poland, and other countries that might be whiffed to the list). Would such an aircraft also fall under the Soviet GB (as long as the Russian roots are still visible)?

One such case is the J-7FS, a rather "illegal" mutation of the MiG-21MF - not that I want to build one, but it's a good example for the "problem".  ;)

Any official comment?

It's under discussion.  Good question! :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much for consideration.  :thumbsup:

Librarian

I'm going to build at least one of two ideas and I'd like to confirm if they're OK.

An Antonov AN-2 transport in Japanese markings

An aircraft based around the Spiteful but Sovietised and in Soviet colours and markings

Any problems with either?