Squadron Models - 1/72 Haunebu II - Premium Edition Now Available!

Started by Madoc, December 21, 2016, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 26, 2016, 06:21:18 AM
The evidence for Nazi saucers is highly dubious at best and anything you read on the subject should be taken with an ocean of salt.

I concur. Its a bit worrying just how many supposedly educated people believe that they were real and are still hidden at (Insert your fav secret base here).  The Germans were ahead of the allies in most aviation feilds, but not that far ahead.

The Wave models Haunebu 1 I built last year certainly raises a good few smiles and questions when its on the SIG stand at most shows, usually from the kids.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Madoc

I think even saying "dubious at best" is being far, far too complimentary.

I put this sorta stuff in the same league as swords 'n sorcery fantasy fiction.  "Dieselpunk" at best.  Sort of the "super science" pulp fiction from the 30s - with a darker side.  The folks who actually believe it all make me wonder just how much lead had leaked into the water supplies they drank from as children...
Wherever you go, there you are!

seadude

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 26, 2016, 06:21:18 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on December 25, 2016, 07:14:06 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 24, 2016, 03:17:03 PM
The weapons are coming off as they just don't look right on the design.  The lower ones definitely have to go as these are supposedly the field propulsion units, not gun turrets.

Funny though, just about every picture on google shows them as turrets. Where did you get your information from Lee?

Nowhere specific - I just read a lot of UFO books and have watched a few Mark Mckandlish videos on youtube. 

The evidence for Nazi saucers is highly dubious at best and anything you read on the subject should be taken with an ocean of salt.

If we're going to settle this once and for all, then let's get Jaime and Adam from the Mythbusters to either Confirm, Bust, or Plausible this issue.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Got the Haunebu II model kit from my best friend today. It was a slightly belated birthday gift.  ;D  After opening it up and viewing the contents, here's my initial preliminary report.

This is a really nice World War II "what if" model subject. The Squadron 1/72 scale German Haunebu II Flying Saucer model kit normally retails for around $75-80. It comes in a very nice box that has a slipcase covering it. On the outside of the box are pictures of the finished model as well as a brief history of "supposed" German saucer development. The saucer is quite big at about 15 inches in diameter. There are 14 parts sprues labled A through J.
The 12 page instruction booklet is nice as it's in color as well as black & white. One major downside is that the color callouts are only for AV Vallejo colors. If a person wants to use Testor, Tamiya, or something else, then you'll have to figure that on your own. The decal sheet is also pretty simple. If a person wanted to add more markings to the saucer than what is available on the sheet, then you'll have to use any extra stuff from your spare parts box.
The instrument consoles on Sprue F look nice, but I feel that with extra work, a modeler could detail them up further with photoetch instrumentation, extra decals, and dry brushing. The picture of the control cabin in Step 8 looks nice, but again, I feel this whole cabin could be further detailed with more machinery, piping, instrument consoles, etc. other than just having 3 instrument consoles and 9 chairs which looks pretty boring. And speaking of chairs.........9 chairs go in the control cabin, but there are 10 chairs total on the letter I sprues. Maybe the 10th is a spare? Unfortuneately, there are no crew figures included in the kit to pose in the chairs or to put outside the saucer if building a diorama. All the gun barrels are molded in plastic. But a skilled modeler could replace these with metal tubing and rod if desired which would probably look a lot better. More reviews can be found at the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaF7VIgM7SY
http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/haunebu-ii

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

seadude

2x  of Sprue J parts.

2x  of Sprue I parts.

Sprue E part (Left and Upper Right)
Sprue D part (Lower Right)

Sprue C parts.

Sprue F parts.

Close-up of Sprue F control panel parts.

One side of Sprue A parts.

Other side (Bottom of saucer) of Sprue A parts.

Sprue B parts.

One side of Sprue G parts.

Other side of Sprue G parts.

Sprue H clear parts.

NARSES2

There's a fair few of those appearing at shows over here in the UK. It's a big kit
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Big hit, eh? Sounds interesting. ;)  Probably won't be as big a hit as what I've got planned.  :wacko:  My evil genius intellect has come up with the ultimate humorous diorama for the Haunebu II.  :mellow:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 10, 2017, 08:47:59 AM
The darn things are breeding I tell you!  :o

And after they take over the modeling community, they'll take over the world!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 10, 2017, 07:42:19 AM
Look forward to that  :thumbsup:

I have a brilliant idea of creating a large diorama. First, create a "house floor" base with linoleum or wood. Buy a realistic looking boy baby doll toy and have it set up like he is playing with a toy spinning top on the floor. Add my Haunebu kit in front of the baby and put some sort of wording on the base or elsewhere that says: "Werner, you dummkopf! You've transported us to an oversized children's toy area! Get us out of here, NOW! Schnell! MACH SCHNELL!"  ;D
Think about it. Those toy spinning tops are round and do sort of appear in the shape of a UFO. Kid plays with regular top toy, then spots the newly appeared German UFO and thinks that's a new toy top and wants to play with it. What could be more funnier?  ;D

seadude

Can anybody here translate German? I found the following images on the Net, but do not know what the words mean.

TomZ

Just like a disk, but OMG!

Based on the emblem carried by the Me-163 of JG400: "Just like a flea".

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 10, 2017, 06:43:59 AM
There's a fair few of those appearing at shows over here in the UK. It's a big kit

Well I had these two on the SIG stand at the Cosford show.......................
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Liebemaister

Hi there,
I build it too see my post in this forum title German on the moon