Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on February 09, 2023, 05:31:32 PMSo - tired and sore today, but also safely at home. Feeling the need for LR progress I've greased the bearings and mounted the seals, now being fully prepared for a frontal attack tomorrow.

We are all delighted and somewhat relieved to hear you are safely at home, after your encounter with A&E.   As to the greasing of bearings and mounting of seals, do you think that this procedure might help my left ankle, which is presently reminding me that I played rugby in my mis-spent youth?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Basically, you should always do your best to stay out of A&E's, methinks.

Speaking of the Landy, it's actually finally back on its own four wheels.  Not a minute too soon, tbh. Still it seems the ABS sensor got knocked to pieces when the bearings broke down, but I'll replace that another day. The car's moveable - that's a good start.

Feeling better and better day by day now, I actually also got around to scratch a few antennae on the Voodoo, and with that, I think it's ready for final painting and then decalling. But today is our youngest little laddie's tenth birthday, so no more hobbies today. It's his day today.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on February 10, 2023, 09:28:00 AMBasically, you should always do your best to stay out of A&E's, methinks.

Speaking of the Landy, it's actually finally back on its own four wheels.  Not a minute too soon, tbh. Still it seems the ABS sensor got knocked to pieces when the bearings broke down, but I'll replace that another day. The car's moveable - that's a good start.

Feeling better and better day by day now, I actually also got around to scratch a few antennae on the Voodoo, and with that, I think it's ready for final painting and then decalling. But today is our youngest little laddie's tenth birthday, so no more hobbies today. It's his day today.

Happy Birthday Pellson Junior!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on February 10, 2023, 09:34:17 AM
Quote from: Pellson on February 10, 2023, 09:28:00 AMBasically, you should always do your best to stay out of A&E's, methinks.

Happy Birthday Pellson Junior!

From the Old Wombat, too! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

10, double digits  ;D  Happy birthday sunshine  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Birthday cake today too. Not bad!

The Defender is finally rolling again, and that feels really good. It took too long, but today, it's been reasonable temperatures and even a bit of sunshine, so I got properly to it despite still having some abdominal discomfort. And tomorrow, it's the daughter's youth car that's in for brake caliper replacement. Always something..

But I painted a little detail on the Voodoo again. Might paint some more before I call it decal time. We'll see. I'm enjoying myself fiddling with it and that's what counts.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Pellson on February 11, 2023, 03:13:34 PMI'm enjoying myself fiddling with it and that's what counts.

Amen, Brother! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on February 11, 2023, 03:13:34 PMBut I painted a little detail on the Voodoo again. Might paint some more before I call it decal time. We'll see. I'm enjoying myself fiddling with it and that's what counts.

Sometimes that's all you need to do  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Only car work today, but as the temperatures are at least bordering to survivable, it's been pretty alright. Mixed success, though - we easily sorted the brake calipers and pads but the electronics - not so much. On it again another day.

Quite tired now, though.

Pellson

Found the electric mishap today, and was able to easily correct it. Happy chappy! Tomorrow, finally, the girls will drive themselves again.

Otherwise mainly been engaged in getting on with the renovation of our bathroom. Christ, what a mess! We got a first qoute of nearly £50k, and I'm dumbfounded! Luckily, the insurance will cover all but the last £2k, but I don't trust the budget to be watertight. This will be a significant headache over the coming months..

Well well. The modelling desk is at least not affected directly..

Rick Lowe

Good that the insurance will come to the party... you could have had some sort of 'Gradual Damage' clause.  :banghead:
And yeah, cost overruns/materials increasing in price... :angry:
So it seems like the LWB is safe? :unsure:

NARSES2

I'm firmly convinced that most firms don't understand the concept of quoting a price for a job nowadays and just assume that picking a price out of thin air will do  :banghead: 

Rick Lowe

Over here, there are so few of them and there's so much work that I understand they will sometimes quote an astronomical figure just to get you to go away.
If you're willing to pay said outrageous estimate, well then... caveat emptor.
Only it also drives up the price for any subsequent jobs...

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 15, 2023, 05:07:47 PMOver here, there are so few of them and there's so much work that I understand they will sometimes quote an astronomical figure just to get you to go away.
If you're willing to pay said outrageous estimate, well then... caveat emptor.
Only it also drives up the price for any subsequent jobs...

I've heard of that happening to Rick, but have no personal experience or as far as I know have any of my friends.

Pellson

Still no complete solution to the bathroom renovation issue, but it's looking up, at least. Hopefully, I'll get even closer tomorrow.

The LWB Defender is indeed safe. In particular as it is currently running..  :rolleyes: The short one is awaiting a new OBD socket (the old one just oxidised away on me) and once that's sorted, it'll get on the sales list. And while a bit sad, it's actually also a relief. At this point, I can only take so many disobedient cars as one time. At another time in life, I may be able to buy another SWB just for fun, but that'll be then.

Modelling wise, it's been a bit of a still for a few days, but this afternoon, I got some feeling and did the final painting and decalling on the Voodoo renovation. Nothing remarkable, but it's getting there. Some varnish, and she'll be done. I just need to close the backstory, of course, but I can steal from another one I've written earlier, so it shouldn't be too far off. And in any case, I'm enjoying myself thoroughly.
Pics will have to wait until daylight, and then there's that varnish issue, of course