Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Well, at least one of them is safe - and progress on the models is a good thing, even a small amount.

Pellson

Springlike weather, but windy! Remnants from Storm Otto ( named by the Danes, I'm sure it was called something different in Scotland) that passed by early this morning but didn't live up to the expectations raised by the tabloids. Do they ever?

The LWB Defender is annoying me with vengeance faults, such as an indicator going black and the brake lights stopping to work. Sorted both, but it turns out to be typical standstill faults, so I expect  :rolleyes: some more.
Even more annoying is that the daughters youth car is playing up again, and that may likely not be as easily dealt with. Well - she's having a week off school now, so no panic, but I'd better get to it. Otherwise I'll have to rise in the middle of the night to get them to school. It's a lot better when they drive themselves..
it's really good to be dailying the Defender again, though. It's me, that car. I'm about as reliable, physically, as you've seen  :rolleyes:

Painted the identification search light on the port side of the Voodoo yesterday. It turned out ok, but will need some trimming. Also tried on a pitot tube, but that didn't work at all. Will probably make another one today. If I get past that sodding youth car, that is.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

Pitot sorted, last painting as well, so ready for varnish. If I don't break anything..  :rolleyes:

For the moment, that youth car works, but we'll see later next week. I can't say I trust it..  :angry:

Kip time!

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on February 18, 2023, 05:45:38 AMSpringlike weather, but windy! Remnants from Storm Otto ( named by the Danes, I'm sure it was called something different in Scotland) that passed by early this morning but didn't live up to the expectations raised by the tabloids. Do they ever?

Nope, called Otto this side of the North Sea as well. Was fairly nasty up the North of Scotland according to the Beeb
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

killnoizer

Greets from Germany,  yesterday only storm and rain , glad that i was working Friday...
Today sunny and no wind .  Keep your 110 ,  LWB is much better than that short one .

You cannot view this attachment.

Wunstorf Air Base , watching the fleet .

It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Pellson

Quote from: killnoizer on February 19, 2023, 08:18:11 AMKeep your 110 ,  LWB is much better than that short one .

You cannot view this attachment.

Well - the 90 and the 110 are very very different animals. Where the 110 is stable, roomy and more practical, the 90 is significantly more sprightly as well as incomparably more easy to park in a tight space.
Another nicety with the SWB is that the club seating in the back comes so much closer to the front seat occupants, making for a more intimate climate when carrying people. And that's fun, actually.

But it's the LWB staying for the time being. There's just too much work remaining on the SWB for now, and I have to prioritise. Also, considering we're actually relatively often more than six people in the car, the eight-passenger capacity is a good thing, as is the five-pax plus loads of cargo.
But one day... ☺️

That pic, btw. God, how I long for summer!! I am beyond words fed up with this climate. 😔

Just going to the desk to varnish that Voodoo. We'll see if I can be left to my own for long enough to complete it..  :rolleyes:
I have had a go at the backstory too, so maybe there'll be a Voodoo-thread tomorrow.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

What's the turning circle like on a LWB Land Rover?
I've driven 60 Series Land Cruisers and ISTR theirs was pretty big.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

killnoizer

We got a Military Defender Tithonus 110 with stronger springs and it needs official 13,50 meter , without power steering .

My Mercedes Truck with 9,00 meter length need less than the Defender for turning  .
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on February 21, 2023, 03:40:39 AMWhat's the turning circle like on a LWB Land Rover?
I've driven 60 Series Land Cruisers and ISTR theirs was pretty big.

It's adjustable. I have a different offset on my rims, moving the tyres out from the ladderframe, allowing a steeper turning angle in the steering mechanism. Hence, my turning radius isn't that bad, even compared to the Jaguar. But standard, it's a bit like turning an oiltanker. You do need a bit of space.

The best turning circle I've experienced was on an old Volvo 940. It was like a London cab. Almost folded midships. Amazing feature. All in all, that old Volvo was very nice, unless you were in a hurry, because its roadkeeping abilities were severely comfort compromised, but comfort and loadspace (mine was a station wagon) was top notch. A magnificent cruising tool. .

PR19_Kit

You want a small turning circle? Try anything with Triumph Herald front suspension and steering, they can do a 180 in 24'6" !  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2023, 07:21:46 AMYou want a small turning circle? Try anything with Triumph Herald front suspension and steering, they can do a 180 in 24'6" !  :o

A bicycle will do it in less!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I've got four of them...............

All with REALLY small wheels and they'll turn even sharper.   ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2023, 07:21:46 AMYou want a small turning circle? Try anything with Triumph Herald front suspension and steering, they can do a 180 in 24'6" !  :o

However, if you set off with far too much acceleration and the front wheels on full lock, problems could arise.  I've heard of more than one boy racer stripping the tyres off the rims by doing this.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Was the Spitfire based on a Herald chassis ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.