Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on September 02, 2023, 12:49:18 AMHas anyone seen the film "Yesterday"? Having been shut out of here for a good 14 hrs, it seems no one else did, leaving me somewhat frustrated and wondering whether I was the only one experiencing yesterday at all? The rest of the interwebz seemed to work flawlessly so I really hadn't thought it was a local thingy.

Strange.

Well - the family is down with a rather bad cold that our 14yo dragged home from school the other day. While I seem to cope better than the rest (probably due to my rather intense Covid vaccinations) the others are rather slow, so no bigger adventures this weekend, so I might actually just get some desk time..  ;)

I was getting "Error 502 Bad Gateway"  for much of yesterday whenever I tried to log on to the site.................so I gave up, took Madame R out for a meal  and committed herbicide on our garden paths..

My sympathy to your  cold sufferers;  I currently have the use of our family cold (it is shared equitably amongst family members)  but I'm still breathing.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on September 02, 2023, 03:16:57 AM
Quote from: Pellson on September 02, 2023, 12:49:18 AMHas anyone seen the film "Yesterday"? Having been shut out of here for a good 14 hrs, it seems no one else did, leaving me somewhat frustrated and wondering whether I was the only one experiencing yesterday at all? The rest of the interwebz seemed to work flawlessly so I really hadn't thought it was a local thingy.

Strange.

Well - the family is down with a rather bad cold that our 14yo dragged home from school the other day. While I seem to cope better than the rest (probably due to my rather intense Covid vaccinations) the others are rather slow, so no bigger adventures this weekend, so I might actually just get some desk time..  ;)

I was getting "Error 502 Bad Gateway"  for much of yesterday whenever I tried to log on to the site.................so I gave up, took Madame R out for a meal  and committed herbicide on our garden paths..

My sympathy to your  cold sufferers;  I currently have the use of our family cold (it is shared equitably amongst family members)  but I'm still breathing.

Ah, there's two of us in this dimension, then. That feels better!  ;D

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on September 02, 2023, 03:16:57 AMI was getting "Error 502 Bad Gateway"  for much of yesterday whenever I tried to log on to the site................

Indeed so, it was a bit like having an arm cut off! :(

I spent much of the day trying to maintain a mental 'WhiffWorld/RW' balance without much success.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

I was getting it on this side of the pond as well.
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2023, 04:41:38 AM
Quote from: Rheged on September 02, 2023, 03:16:57 AMI was getting "Error 502 Bad Gateway"  for much of yesterday whenever I tried to log on to the site................

Indeed so, it was a bit like having an arm cut off!

And I concur with the disHonourable Man in the Hat from the Forest of Dean.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Not just you Euro-Americas-Trans-Atlantic types, it was a World Wide phenomenon, this "502 Bad Gateway" error.

Yes, even we in the Antipodes were World Wide Webless, when it came to this site.

As usual, I started going through withdrawal symptoms within the first 15 minutes after getting home from work.

Seriously, if the WWW collapsed, the ONLY thing I would miss is this site & you guys. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

I was getting it here, too, but as it was in the evening and I was about to be otherwise engaged, I was able to deal with any withdrawal symptoms.
Although I'm not sure how I would have coped, had it still been an issue today...

Pellson

Thoroughly enjoying the fact that things here work again, I'll take the opportunity to file a report of today's activity.  ;)

While witnessing my own cold grow worse, I valiantly defied it and took to clean up my modelling table a bit. Possibly not the most logical thing to engage in, under the circumstances, but all sanding, in particular on the Fishpot nose extension, had left rather an unpleasant layer of statically charged and hence annoyingly sticky dust all over. And something had to be done.
Now, I have claimed about one third of our big dinner table for storage to be able to clean properly, and having cleaned, I obviously had to sort through everything I just carried out in bundles to put things where they're supposed to be rather than back on the desk in piles. So dinners are eaten in the kitchen for a few days. Or so.
The better part of the family might not be overly enthused, but I'm taking advantage of the fact that she's not up for a fight in this, cold-ridden, state. Evil, but practical.

As a part of this, I also packed in the kits I've been working on, but having cleaned the desk, I couldn't help myself but had to get the KP Fitter out again, just to sort the final construction. Not much left, see. And now, that one too is ready for painting.
The KP kit is a lot finer than the Cooperativa near sister, as earlier explained, but the instructions are equally awful, and most of the small intakes and antennae has to be located from photos found in references. While the Fitter is reasonably well covered, the Fishpot wasn't, but from what I could find, it seems most engine related things are the same across the types, so I could easily coordinate between my two kits.
The final thing I attached however was, as usual, the canopy. Having stolen the closed up canopy part to the Fishpot, I had to make do with the two-piece open one for the Fitter. These parts are quite thinly cast, and, as most clear styrene, very brittle. Not an optimal combination as I had to carefully sand them both to make them close up nicely. Age and routine might have done something, though, because it went quite well and I am rather pleased with the overall end result. So - painting, and then arming and decalling. Or the other way around, depending..

The Amodel interceptors, however, are still in their respective boxes, but back on the desk in a neat pile. Having sorted the final items on the dinner table (tomorrow, if according to plan) I'll get back to them too. One has to hammer while the iron glows..
If my state permits, that is. Right now, my cold is about to cross into mancold land, which is something I'd rather avoided.

But it won't kill me. Not this time.

Rick Lowe

"That which does not kill me; had better know how to run."
So says a friend of mine... but then he's got the build and the skills to back that up - me, not so much.

kerick

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 02, 2023, 06:37:32 PM"That which does not kill me; had better know how to run."
So says a friend of mine... but then he's got the build and the skills to back that up - me, not so much.

Nice friend to have around!
And better a friend than an enemy!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on September 02, 2023, 10:45:55 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 02, 2023, 06:37:32 PM"That which does not kill me; had better know how to run."

Nice friend to have around!
And better a friend than an enemy!

True.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 02, 2023, 02:27:31 PMThe better part of the family might not be overly enthused, but I'm taking advantage of the fact that she's not up for a fight in this, cold-ridden, state. Evil, but practical.

"The best laid plans of mice and men" ?  :rolleyes:  Theory sounds great, but the practice ?   :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 03, 2023, 03:07:14 AM
Quote from: Pellson on September 02, 2023, 02:27:31 PMThe better part of the family might not be overly enthused, but I'm taking advantage of the fact that she's not up for a fight in this, cold-ridden, state. Evil, but practical.

"The best laid plans of mice and men" ?  :rolleyes:  Theory sounds great, but the practice ?   :angel:

Take advantage when they're down & there's always a cost in the long run! :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 03, 2023, 03:07:14 AM

Once you have finished using the table, polish it and use the vacuum cleaner on all surrounding areas, place a posy of local wild flowers in a vase on the clean table and she will (probably) accept that you are trying to be helpful, rather than just being trying!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Quote from: Rheged on September 03, 2023, 09:07:21 AMOnce you have finished using the table, polish it and use the vacuum cleaner on all surrounding areas, place a posy of local wild flowers in a vase on the clean table and she will (probably) accept that you are trying to be helpful, rather than just being trying!

That does sound as if based on long and painful experience..  ;)

Not that much modelling today, actually. We had to go out to the cottage to empty the boat after the latest round of monsoon, and while there, took a short trip "round the block". Lovely weather, and darting about in that little boat in this environment is what's keeping me (relatively) sane throughout the darker two thirds of the year.

You cannot view this attachment.

Modelling achievements - just some minor fiddling with guns and launch rails on the MiG-23MLD rebuild, and then a little work on the gear doors of the Firebar. I also glued in the inlet cones in one half of each engine gondola. I now have to sand in the last support (of three) to close up said gondolas and hope they end up centered. There must have been a better way of representing this..
Anyway - a small step for human kind, but a somewhat bigger for me. Having sorted the gondolas, next stop is attaching wings, fin and stabilators. And then it'll look as an aircraft, would you believe it!

I left the Flagon in its box today, quite on purpose as I suspect I wouldn't have dared attacking those Yak gondolas if I had an alternative right under my nose.

While continuing to tidy up my dinner table mess (oh yes, I still aim to beat the cold by having closed the table issue before the cold is done with the Mrs) I came across my Soviet/Russian air-to-air missile stash, pausing to have a think on the armament of the Su-9BM. Looking at an out of service date in the mid to late eighties, I would probably get away with the rather old K-8 missiles used on Flagons, Firebars and actually also the IRL upgrade of the Su-9, the Su-11, but the are rather cumbersome and not very manoeuvrable. Very much anti-bomber weapons. That said, I might just have a pair of R-24's as well, as used on the later MiG-23's, and it seems that these actually did dispose of the odd F-16 in the Middle East. I shall mull on this. In any case - the Soviet missiles do look good in comparison to their rather skinny and minuscule western counterparts. And looks matters too.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Pellson on September 03, 2023, 02:05:43 PM
Quote from: Rheged on September 03, 2023, 09:07:21 AMOnce you have finished using the table, polish it and use the vacuum cleaner on all surrounding areas, place a posy of local wild flowers in a vase on the clean table and she will (probably) accept that you are trying to be helpful, rather than just being trying!

That does sound as if based on long and painful experience..  ;)

The 'Voice Of Experience' is there to save the rest of us, by their previous example... ;D