Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Lovely summers day here today. Maybe it's because it's Monday.  :rolleyes:
Anyway - yet another family member fell to the cold this morning, and number four this afternoon. Annoying. I was quite happy having the Mrs for myself a few days. Having three kids at home, that certainly is a rare occasion.

The modelling has actually gone rather according to plan, which much like the aforementioned family situation is somewhat rare. The main structures of the Yak is now together, and interestingly, again, once properly cleaned up, the parts went together really well, forming an aircraft looking more like something from the Star Wars saga than something out of this world. A fascinating shape indeed. There's been some PSR, and there is indeed some left, in particular on and around the engine gondolas, but again - it looks good! Tomorrow looks a bit busy from this vantage point, but maybe, I'll be able to push the build all the way to RfP (Ready for Painting) status.

Beside that Firebar, I took the opportunity to putty up the worst deficiencies on the old Airfix Flogger. It's really just putting make-up on a pig, and I would likely reach much better results with an entirely new kit, but I enjoy my old models, and even more so to refurbish them a bit when I can.  Twice the joy per investment, one could say.  ;)

Finally, I glued together some intake parts for the Flagon. It's fallen behind as I've focused on the Firebar, so it felt good to play a little catch-up. I'm not 100% sure of how to finalise that intake step, though (the instructions is only bearing a very superficial resemblance to the reality in this case) but I am fairly confident I will be able to sort that once this first step has set properly.

Interestingly, building these Amodel kits has proven more fun than I originally anticipated. While definitely not being cast in a way that allows for a model that's falling together by itself, in the way f.I a modern Airfix kit will, the parts will fit well once properly cleaned and sanded. Sometimes, one has to sand a little extra, but I have so far only in two cases had to add material to the kit - the rear turbine faces and a landing flap on the Yak. Perhaps this is what gives me so much joy. The fact that it is a challenge, but that when treated well, the kit will reward you with very nice shapes.

Another reflection is how quickly my mojo swings. And I'm not referring to up/down amplitude this time (while those swings surely can be quick too) but rather how my focus of interest changes for no apparent reason, and, if I grab the occasion, how much I can achieve by riding on such a focus wave. For some reason, I came too look at Soviet stuff just about a week or two ago, and now there's three almost completed builds on the desk, together with one half built and a fifth that's in refurbishment. And since before the summer, I really haven't built much at all!

In a corner, there's a couple of well boxes, containing the rest of the Soviet StashTM. In there, among a few other things, there's an Esci Tu-22K Blinder. On one hand, that is a proper desk-eater due to its size, but on the other hand - it's been a while since I went for something bigger. So maybe. If that old KP MiG-17 doesn't pull me in first. The KP Fitter was a fit nightmare in some respects (landing gear doors!!  :banghead: ) but it turned out really well too.

On the dinner table (that's further offloaded, btw) the two Danish fighter bombers from this spring are sitting unfinished, looking grimly at me whenever I'm in sight. Not that much work left on either, really, but I seem to have lost all drive for them right now. Maybe it's because I've broken that Super Sabre pitot (again!) and to make that last, I probably should replace it with something metal. And to do that I need some new drills. And a hand held drill bit to run it in.
A little while ago, I came across some such items on the German hobby rail manufacturer Faller's homepage, and today, I placed an order. To be honest, the Danish Superhog wasn't the main reason but again, the Russian influence triggered some action. The Yak, see, has a big air data boom on each wingtip, the type looking like medieval jousting lances, you know, and Amodel will have you to butt-glue that to the wing. As if that would last five minutes! However, drilling those out a bit and reinforcing with an internal needle.. Hence the drill stuff.

Well - that's it for today. And having no decent britcrimes left on my available streaming services, I've resorted to a rather awful Danish one. At least, the surroundings are nice..

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

Looking back at my blog posts here, I'm suddenly realising that a comparatively significant share of said posts are quite long. I haven't thought about that, actually, but now that I do, I have to admit I enjoy writing them almost as much as I enjoy reading your comments. Hence, there is a certain risk that you'll have to bear with my novels in the future as well. I hope you don't mind.

Old Wombat

I don't mind. ;D

In many ways it's kinda cathartic to read someone else's trials & triumphs, as it makes you feel less alone; especially when you realise their mental processes are quite similar to your own.

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on September 04, 2023, 02:14:09 PMLooking back at my blog posts here, I'm suddenly realising that a comparatively significant share of said posts are quite long. I haven't thought about that, actually, but now that I do, I have to admit I enjoy writing them almost as much as I enjoy reading your comments. Hence, there is a certain risk that you'll have to bear with my novels in the future as well. I hope you don't mind.

It's your blog mate.  You can make your posts as long or as short as you like.  It's good you've got something to say.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

At least you seem to have mastered the art of ten finger typing. I could never peck that out in less than a week. It would help if the gremlins would stop moving the letters around.

Keep it coming, I like it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 04, 2023, 06:19:01 PMI don't mind. ;D

In many ways it's kinda cathartic to read someone else's trials & triumphs, as it makes you feel less alone; especially when you realise their mental processes are quite similar to your own.

Quote from: zenrat on September 04, 2023, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: Pellson on September 04, 2023, 02:14:09 PMLooking back at my blog posts here, I'm suddenly realising that a comparatively significant share of said posts are quite long. I haven't thought about that, actually, but now that I do, I have to admit I enjoy writing them almost as much as I enjoy reading your comments. Hence, there is a certain risk that you'll have to bear with my novels in the future as well. I hope you don't mind.

It's your blog mate.  You can make your posts as long or as short as you like.  It's good you've got something to say.

Concur with both my (Allegedly) Honourable Trans-Tasman Colleagues. ;-D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on September 04, 2023, 10:50:53 PMIt would help if the gremlins would stop moving the letters around.

They do that to you too? I'm glad it's not just me then................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Nor do I. It serves to give my own Mojo a nudge  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 05, 2023, 05:43:41 AM

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Nor do I. It serves to give my own Mojo a nudge  :thumbsup:

I can relate. Thanks, gentlemen.
And believe it or not, but I actually write most posts on my IPhone. Mainly because it's better than anything else when I want to attach pictures, but also because it's there. The PC most often is not, as I usually write at the end of the day.

Like now, reporting todays progress, which, if not having taken that much time, still is enough to please this old grump.
Having sorted the last PSR on the Yak, I sorted the final bits and bobs (but for the aforementioned jousting lances, remember? Still no drills..), mainly small ram intakes, and then went on, true to tradition, to whif it, just the tiniest little bit. Targeting a slight modernisation to allow the Firebar to stay in service until the fall of the wall, I just added a newer IFF antenna and an IRST, both as per a late MiG-23. Once it's painted and decalled, I'm thinking of replacing the original K-8's and K-14's with R-24's and R-60's. Rather subtle changes, but enough to create a bit of confusion, I hope.  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

It's an interesting design, the Firebar, really looking like nothing else.

The Flagon finally got its air intakes, and next step should probably be to sort the landing gear doors. The main gear doors have a rather complex shape, inherited from its older cousins, the Su-7/9/11, and as you know, just having built models of two of these, I can report that neither KP nor Cooperativa was very successful in providing doors that fitted the gear bays. While the Yak's doors admittedly have simpler shapes, they also fitted reasonably well when being glued in gear-up position, so I have some hope, at least. Which would be nice as the part split of the Flagon wings don't allow for adjustment from the inside of the gear bay once glued in.

However, it looks as if the weather will stay rather summery for a while, and that might impact modelling time. I won't complain, though. I've been longing for weather like this since bl00dy June, so I'll enjoy it as much as I can. Modelling or not.

Old Wombat

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

For everything but, mostly;

Quote from: Pellson on September 05, 2023, 01:34:13 PMRather subtle changes, but enough to create a bit of confusion, I hope.  ;)

And;

Quote from: Pellson on September 05, 2023, 01:34:13 PMI've been longing for weather like this since bl00dy June, so I'll enjoy it as much as I can. Modelling or not.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Lots of meetings and stuff today that had me sitting in front of the computer, just listening. The upside - some time to do a little on the Flagon. So wings, stabilators and all landing gear doors sorted. The latter were a bit work intensive, but in all fairness - that was expected. And it should also be said that the Amodel gear doors were a significantly better fit than their KP and Cooperativa counterparts. But with a little sanding-fitting-sanding and more fitting and then some sanding, they went in.

Some small intakes and alike left, one of them being what I believe is an IR-sensor under the nose. There are three different variants of that sensor but I've only been able to see one of them on a photo, and to be fair - the vast majority of pics of Flagons doesn't have anything in that position. Also, all those three alternative sensors look rather draggy to be installed on a Mach 2 fighter jet. I'm not really keen on using any of them, but some kind of IRST would be useful, methinks. I'll mull on that for a bit.

Shooting a couple of quick pics of the Firebar, it is indeed a strange design. And the kit went together better than I expected when I first saw the sprues.

A few challenges presented themselves, though, the engine gondolas already being mentioned. But as the kit is designed for gear-down display, some adaptations had to be made, the trickiest one being the spur wheels at the wing tips. When stowed, they're folded back and mostly hidden behind doors in a slim pod just short of the wing tip. The kit will only provide the extended gear and a couple of very badly fitting gear doors, but based on them and some photos found on the web, I was able to improvise an in flight wing tip with a few pieces of sprue and a wheel from the spare parts bin. I think it's looking alright, but the proper test will - as always - come when the model is painted.

Well. Another day to the archives, I suppose. I've had worse, so I think I'm fine.
For the weekend, we're planning for the cottage, and as the weather is looking really good, I don't think I'll bring any modelling stuff, but one never knows. I have had a few of my better modelling sessions at that kitchen table..

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on September 06, 2023, 01:25:51 PM...one of them being what I believe is an IR-sensor under the nose. There are three different variants of that sensor but I've only been able to see one of them on a photo, and to be fair - the vast majority of pics of Flagons doesn't have anything in that position...

It appears that also the Trumpeter Flagon has at least one of these sensors included, and >>THIS<< build is one of very few where I can see it used. I'm referring to the beercan-on-a-pod thingy right by the hockey stick antenna under the nose.

The two alternatives are two different sizes of what looks like fairings for a small, forward facing disc antenna. I don't know if that's what it is anymore than I'm certain of what this, shown one is, but I'd really like to know. They look a bit out of place, as said, and they're all but impossible to find on photos of actual aircraft.

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated, because this does tickle my curiosity.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

Interesting paint scheme on that HyperScale build.

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 07, 2023, 12:55:14 AMInteresting paint scheme on that HyperScale build.

It is indeed, but is actually historically correct, at least in principle. For a few years, also the PVO (Soviet air defence forces, in contrast to VVS, their tactical air force) actually camouflaged most of their interceptors. It lasted only a fwe years, however, and then a return was made to all grey or different tones of grey, as we now know them. Look f.i >>HERE<<.

Still searching for more and better data on that Su-15 sensor, but to no avail. Annoying! What I have found though is one (1) actual photo where the device is present. >>This<< French page has a photo, but nothing in writing.