Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on January 04, 2017, 07:13:58 PM
Heres an A-7 in greys with a twist.
http://www.air-and-space.com/19901006%20Edwards/901569%20YA-7F%2071-344%206512TS%20left%20side%20taxiing%20l.jpg

Thanx.

The A-7F. I've actually made one out of an old Airfix A-7E, but never got as far as painting/decalling. It's still around, though, so one day I'd guess it'll show up again, probably in "Europe One". 😁
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Yup, hope the recovery speed picks up
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on January 04, 2017, 01:11:27 PM
...Whining done. Over and out.

OK.  We'll allow a small amount of whining but do hurry up and recover.  I want see more pictures.
:smiley:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on January 06, 2017, 02:39:02 AM
OK.  We'll allow a small amount of whining but do hurry up and recover.  I want see more pictures.
:smiley:

Totally agree with the gentleman's words... ;D Get well soon! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Pellson

OK, while not much modelling has been done lately, I've at least gotten around to shoot some old stuff not previously shown, so I thought I'll just throw them up here in anticipation of creating a background for them. And if nothing else, to bask a bit in the attention. 😉

So - first out - the previously unveiled Washington R.2A. The old Airfix offering, originally built as "Joltin Josie" by my old man in the late 70:ies but rescued by me when he decided to minimise storage spaces. Ever since (some odd 10 years) it's been sitting on my top shelf dusting about until I finally, last November, got inspired and added some random blobs and antennas, and in an attack of severe hybris, also an EO/IR/Laser targetting ball turret. To get that into the backstory will crave some creativity, but hey - it's whiffworld! Decided to try out my new hemp enamel and I kind of like the turnout. Should have thought twice about the lightning bolts on the fin, though (they should have been lower set) but now they're under three layers of Johnsons and some varnish, so..

Pellson

Pellson

Next up - a subject I suspect most of us has looked at. A Freighter C.2 in MEAF colours. Basically straight out of the box, camo estimated from the Aden based Beverleys, however slightly modernised along Andover lines. General backstory idea is UK staying put in Aden, creating an arabian Gibraltar but also continuing supporting various local entities, such as Omani interests etc. I would be happy to receive further input here if someone feels they would like to contribute. Time frame would be mid 70:ies, or so, but think it as a not very prioritised theatre with old, second line aircraft and a backlog of modernisation long as a starvation year.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Cool indeed but I particularly like the RAF Tu-4  :mellow: :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Hi all

Apparently, it's been a while since I updated this page. As I write, there's a big red square on top of it, encouraging me to start a brand new topic rather than posting in an ancient thread. Well - I'm getting ancient too, so I think I'll just carry on..

In the mean time, my modelling has become somewhat erratic. Partly due to having to work entirely from my hobby desk since March, partly from also having my wife working from her hobby desk just opposite mine and last but not least from having to home school the kids during a large portion of the spring. But mainly due to lack of focus. And it's not that bad, actually. I've given up on staying on a subject and these days, I build whatever I feel for in the moment. The result is a rather messy build shelf, littered with more or less complete projects, and most annoyingly a certain difficulty to finish off when something is almost there. On the other hand, when I get a little time to create, I do it with more joy and less angst. In all, I think its a good trade - for as long as the space allows, that is.

My current feel, however, doesn't improve things from a shelf space perspective. I have finally gotten round to make some progress on the tanker that'll benefit from the old Matchbox Victor Mk 20 pods kindly provided by Kit, and that is a rather substantial aircraft, even in my preferred 72nd scale. Things got even worse when I out of the blue managed to pick up an old AMT RC-135V. My second, as a matter of fact, and suddenly I can build an Airseeker as well as a Rivet Joint. My unability to choose version has been the reason for not starting my old one for years. Now, I can start both. Two RC-135:s, that is. Good fun, but the shelf is moaning everytime I glance at it..
Also I now need new CFM56 engines. Eight of them. Which have to be sourced from the US (Contrail, thanks lads!). That is if I can't hide away money enough to invest in two more Airfix/Heller AWACS kits, for NATO (E-3A) and USAF (E-3G) use, respectively - which would then provide nice engines for free. Well - free and free...  :rolleyes:

Speaking of accidentally increasing stash. In May, I came across another (yes, I know) old Matchbox Canberra PR9. I bought and built my first one about 40 years ago, and I've loved its sleek uncomplicated lines ever since. Even to the point that I for no other reason than aesthetics prefer it over the otherwise much improved Airfix issue. Anyhow - stumbling on this latest one triggered a Canberra bonanza, actually making me completing three unstarted 'Berras, starting a reconstruction of my original one (third time over) and also rebuilding an old Airfix B(I)6 while I was at it. Good fun, and while uncomplicated builds, I really enjoy the result.

Another project I think went well was the radar equipped Hunter built and painted during the summer. This project came about when I surfed across a drawing of a P.1100 and was quite taken by its good looks. Having completed it, I got inspired enough to take the opportunity to scavenge the scrap heap for another old Hunter, rebuilding it as a tactical recce bird.

Now, back to real work and then try to remember to actually write up the backstories. After all, that's actually almost as fun as the build itself.. ;)

Knightflyer

I do like those two Hunters  ;D

And scrolling upwards (to revisit your ancient history  ;D) the Washington R.2A is superb!!
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

ChernayaAkula

That recce nose works really well on the Hunter!  :wub: Beauty!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?