Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on February 29, 2024, 02:11:39 PMLife in general seems a bit underdimensioned, leaving no time for anything relaxing at all. Well - it's just to lean forward, I guess, and plod on.

I know what you mean.  I only work a 25 hour week and yet there is never enough time to do all the relaxing I feel I am entitled to.

<sigh>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

As Bill Waterson once said, through Calvin; 'There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do.' ;)

Pellson

Sunday, and finally a break, if a short one. This week's been a buzzshow of meetings, travelling, kids logistics and - as a positive stress point - lunch and theatre with very good friends yesterday. But while it's too seldom we get to hang out without the kids, it's still taking energy holding schedules and being social, and as things are now, I'm really longing for some retreat time, just cutting off the world and its tribulations. But we'll get there. Eventually.

In the meantime, on Friday, we drove to collect that second youth car, for the mid lass. Another little Suzuki jeep, a Grand Vitara this time, but an unreasonably well kept example and it does also seem to be a very much neater installation of the speed limiter than in the older sisters Jimny. Hopefully, this one will be somewhat less maintenance intensive as well, but that remains to be seen. The seller, however, was a genuinely nice chap with apparent technical knowledge, so I have hopes.

Speaking of the Jimny - it's been sitting for a few weeks as it's had an annoying habit of cutting out irregularly, pointing firmly towards some kind of intermittent connection in the ignition system. The appalling weather, however, has kept me from doing something about it, but today, the sun unexpectedly came out, so I geared up and went to work. And would you believe, I did find a bad earth link, and having sorted that, it seems that the dodging thing actually is working again. I'll have the designated driver take it for a proper spin later tonight before calling it solved, though. One has just a tad too much bad experience to celebrate prematurely..

Also, while chomping about with the Defender and two tonnes of car trailer behind, we went to check out a possible contender for Her Ladyships next transport, and as it happened, it seemed good enough and was accordingly negotiated and procured. While also being a Land Rover, hence inherently prone to annoying faults, this was a very pretty example indeed, well kept in and out and with an impeccable service history, so hopefully, this is spelling the end of whining about uncomfortable road trips. Also, I think the colour helped a bit - it's very red indeed - and thus less masculine despite its otherwise rather chunky appearance.

You cannot view this attachment.

I do think I will have to do something about the absolutely ridiculous wheels attached, though, as there won't fare well on our local tracks and trails out here in the sticks. They're firmly Chelsea-adapted, methinks.

Well - I have another document to work my way through before closing this day, so I'd better get on with it. The models will have to wait another few days.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rick Lowe

Very nice.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, those ridiculously-over sized rims with the rubber bands are more for the Posing value than anything a Respectable Working Girl* would wear.

*No, not what I meant and you know it - you lot get your minds out of the gutter, thank you! I did use the Modifier 'Respectable' ;)

Very satisfying to have (potentially) tracked down the other issue, too.

NARSES2

Nice looking Range Rover  :thumbsup:  Don't think I've seen one in that colour
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 04, 2024, 12:13:07 AMVery nice.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, those ridiculously-over sized rims with the rubber bands are more for the Posing value than anything a Respectable Working Girl* would wear.

*No, not what I meant and you know it - you lot get your minds out of the gutter, thank you! I did use the Modifier 'Respectable' ;)

Very satisfying to have (potentially) tracked down the other issue, too.

I see various 'Murican suburban assault vehicles with those, and my reactions go from "Why?" to "He ain't taking that out in the snow and ice.  Not if he wants to live."
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 04, 2024, 05:34:47 AMNice looking Range Rover  :thumbsup:  Don't think I've seen one in that colour

"Firenze red", the colour code says. Yes, large cars are rare in extravagant hues, and while possibly for a good reason, I think this is quite nice while also packing a somewhat "sod off" punch. At least, that's what the esthetician daughter said upon seeing it live for the first time (it came home today).
All I pray for now is that it'll stick together long enough. After all - it's a Land Rover..  :rolleyes:

Lovely weather today, even if I've mostly been stuck in front of a screen all day. The mandatory dog walks were quite nice, if nothing else, but that's about the spare time I've been granted between work, logistics (thank God the eldest is driving herself again!!) and cooking. Now to clean up after tea, then head first in the night shift. Tallyho!!

Nick

Any colour is better than the dull primer grey as seen on so many cars now. I get that bright red is attractive to car thieves but let's be honest, if you're happy with dull grey then you've probably got a dull car to match your dull personality.

There is a car mods place near me that sold souped up Range Rovers and pickup trucks. It was called Deranged and aimed mostly at the deranged bunch with more money than sense. Full leather interiors, extra loud exhaust, booming stereo, fancy wheels etc.
The colours were mostly black but some came out in bright orange or lurid green.
Each to their own I suppose!  :lol:

Pellson

Finally at the cottage yesterday late after yet another week in Mach 3. I have to slow things down - I am not entirely well and while having loads of fun, it also eats loads of energy I can't easily restore. But coming out here does help. The effect this place has on my soul is difficult to fathom

We took Her Ladyships "new" Land Rover out here, and while expected, it was an unexpectedly nice ride on the small and bumpy roads. I had forgotten how beautiful the air suspension performs under these conditions. While the car is quite large and certainly feels somewhat substantial on the road, it isn't clumsy in any way. Rather dignified.
Also, as we drove late, we had the opportunity to test the large driving lights added to its front. Now - THAT was an experience! What a light! The units doesn't look that impressive on the grille, but they do actually turn night into day. Useful, out here where deer and boars roam the territory.
All in all, Her Ladyship is quite pleased, and so are the kids (it's got electrically heated rear seats as well) so as long as it stays in one piece, we should be fine.

This morning, we woke up to a thin layer of snow on the ground, but despite intermittent snowing during the day, the temperatures have been such as to thaw away the existing layer and most of what has arrived, leaving only about as much as we had this morning when I look outside now. However, as the temperature is below zero again, one should probably expect more for tomorrow morning. And that is less than satisfactory, one has to conclude.

As "someone" took to clear weed and small trees today, there wasn't much time for models. However, there'll be days for that too, so I'm not going to let that annoy me now.

And now the dog wants out in the cold again. Ah, well..

Rick Lowe

Nice to see the new ride performs as anticipated and was a good buy.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, you need time to rest and restore - something I still have trouble remembering.

What is it with animals and wanting to go out in cold/wet weather?  :-\

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 09, 2024, 10:00:06 AMFinally at the cottage yesterday late after yet another week in Mach 3. I have to slow things down - I am not entirely well and while having loads of fun, it also eats loads of energy I can't easily restore. But coming out here does help. The effect this place has on my soul is difficult to fathom

It can be difficult to remember sometimes that our bodies are not quite up to what they used to be. I know I do sometimes. At least you appear to be in the right place to recuperate  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Pellson on March 09, 2024, 10:00:06 AMAll in all, Her Ladyship is quite pleased,

Bonus  ;D 

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 09, 2024, 12:31:44 PMWhat is it with animals and wanting to go out in cold/wet weather?  :-\

I don't mind the cold (UK not Scandinavian/Canadian definition  :angel: ) as long as it's bright and dry.  I can even deal with harsher weather as long as I have the correct clothes.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2024, 01:32:53 AMI don't mind the cold (UK not Scandinavian/Canadian definition  :angel: ) as long as it's bright and dry.  I can even deal with harsher weather as long as I have the correct clothes.

Yeah, it very much depends on context! ;D
And using the right gear is always a good idea!
The idea that you're on the way home to a fire/warm dry clothes/a nice hot cuppa can help a lot, too!

Pellson

Cold, deathly morning, with a bleak sun barely making its way through the sky veils. Yet beautiful in a tranquil way.
Her Ladyship is off working, so I'm left to my own devices dealing with kids and dogs. Not really being a morning person (by far!), this comes with a certain effort and a tangible lack of positive attitude. The children, being of common descent, all have similar issues meaning it's a surprisingly silent home in the mornings, only interrupted by short growls when one individual comes too close to another one. But it's about an hour, and then they're off. Some having walked to their pick-up point, and some others having been driven the 9 miles to their. And the dog (who has the nicest temperament of us all, by far) has had his breakfast and morning walk. And then I can retreat to the office/hobby desk, mulling over power grid, renewable energy technology and some modelling progress. Or the lack thereof.

Yesterday saw me toiling through another Monday, but in the process also finding enough time to add a little bit to that S35E photo bird (more in relevant thread). Other than that, not a very memorable day. Well - unless you count the ceremonial flag hoisting in Bruxelles, of course, but then again, it also sounds as if NATO is on its way out, so we'll probably be the final and most short-termed member. One has to catch the day, though. Or try to, at least. But I have to admit I'm increasingly questioning my StashTM policy of just endulging. While long ago having come to terms with the fact that much of it will have to be left for the next generation, I'm increasingly worried about there even being a next generation having the possibility to enjoy the kits. Our European future hasn't looked worse since I was a kid and we had nuclear shelter practices at school.

Well, well.. I'll have better days still. Once spring comes for real. These cold, icy mornings are, however bright, not my cuppa.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Always been a "Morning Person". Dad was up at 4:00 am and as my bedroom shared a common dividing wall with the kitchen in our flat no matter how quiet he and mum tried to be I was woken up, and it's stuck  ;D  Still up around 6:00 am even though long retired.