Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

i hate to say this but " organic substances " covers a multitude of sins,  some of which are really unpleasant.   Cyanide is by definition an organic compound  ( CN  ,  a single carbon atom triple bonded to a single Nitrogen)   so be careful on that front.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Old Wombat

And copper arsenate (the usual grren stuff preserving softwoods) is an organic salt.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on July 25, 2024, 06:38:25 AMThat said, I would have expected the lazy prick just whining until we would have gone to get him out ourselves.. :rolleyes:

Yup, known a couple of dogs like that  ;D And as for cats, I think they do it deliberately  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 26, 2024, 05:12:53 AMi hate to say this but " organic substances " covers a multitude of sins,  some of which are really unpleasant.  ...
Yes it does ... and the general purpose file that I read isn't particularly specific. EU allows the sale of treated wood to private persons, so it cannot be all that lethal.... ;)

I believe I mainly eat "organic substances".

edit:
I'm aware that old wooden railroad ties were treated with pretty nasty stuff. I wouldn't use those for anything where anything alive would get in contact with it.

Steel Penguin

the only " non organic food " is the bone in my chop and the odd bit of eggshell in my omelette    ;D  :thumbsup:

other wise as it contains Carbon, by definition it is an organic compound .   ( sorry this is a bit of a bugbear /  hobby horse.  I rarely have an attack of the pedantic s  but this is one thing that does set me off.)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

zenrat

Don't both eggshell and bone contain Calcium CARBONate?   ;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on July 26, 2024, 05:46:35 AMDon't both eggshell and bone contain Calcium CARBONate?   ;D

Yes, & both are classified as organic substances.

Pellson

Quote from: perttime on July 26, 2024, 04:53:37 AMDIY places around me seem to sell green tinted treated wood that is relatively safe. They use copper carbonates and "organic substances". When working on the treated wood, you are adviced not to inhale the dust or get it in your eyes, and you should wash your hands before eating.

Same here.

Fred: That's a very nice decking indeed.

Steve: Danish brown liquid soap seems to be the stuff you want to use. That said, the old decking lasted 25 years without, and it had much worse conditions to cope with. Also - the likelihood of me bothering aboth this in 25 years from now is very limited..  ;)

Rick: b) applies, thank God for that..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

Linseed oil is very good for preserving wooden garden furniture and prevents bleaching from the sun.

Pellson

Having had a rather lovely few days in the cottage with different friends popping in and out, today, we were left entirely to our own devices. As the lovely Mrs P has some proper tanning to tend to given the necessity of wearing somewhat protective clothing while working on the decking, I was able to sneak off and completely occupy the kitchen table. Having been able to do some detail painting over the last week, I could now engage for real in construction of a few kits. I like having two or more kits on the table simultaneously. There's often one or another glue joint that'll need to set properly and while waiting for that, having another kit in line will allow for not losing pace (or mojo). 

While initially planning for the two Mirages, the very very well detailed Special Hobby F1CG just looked a little bit too serious to me, so instead, the Italeri M2000C was accompanied by that Heller (Airfix) Corsair II I've been eying up. It's not a bad kit, but for the abysmal fit of the landing gear doors if you want to have your model airborne, and the Italeri M2000 also has its challenges, especially around the intakes, but as todays session is nearing its end (someone's growling about alternative uses for the table I'm on), I've gotten most things together. Nice, quick, rewarding builds.

You cannot view this attachment.

The Hellenic Super Deuce is also kept in hand as an inspiration, as is the inevitable cuppa. ;D

Some touch-up in the cockpits, as always, and then I'll be able to close up the canopies. While doing that, I'll have a think or two on how to move these Spartans to the next level. Some new sensors etc, and loadout. And then painting.

But all that's for another day.

Old Wombat

Can't go wrong with a SLUF & the 2K is looking pretty good, too. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 27, 2024, 09:20:16 PMCan't go wrong with a SLUF & the 2K is looking pretty good, too. :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 28, 2024, 12:31:02 AMThey are looking good  :thumbsup:

Honestly, they don't look that amazing. But then again - they don't have to. Some putty here and there and they'll be good enough. And I find quite a lot of joy in these rather simple kits that doesn't require a week's worth of work even before you get to close up the fuselage. It's taking me back to the old days, when I was a kid and less worried about accuracy, paint schemes or reasonable loadouts. Bette days, in many ways.

And yet maybe not. This hobby was lonelier then. No internet groups, and not even a local IPMS chapter. If I even knew IPMS existed. And sourcing information was an outright nightmare. Books and magazines were few and far between - if you weren't living in Stockholm where there was one (1) bookshop carrying international militaria. I was not, maybe visiting Stockholm and relatives twice a year.

These days, anything is an inspired googling away, and it's get to rub ideas and inspiration on you guys. That's a stark difference to my childhood when everyone else in my neighbourhood was more into which local footballer was better than another and I was the only one looking up at the different Flygvapnet jets howling by. When, in time, learning to identify them by their different engine noise, I was seen as something of a geek. That was painful then but today I'm actually rather pleased that I still can perform that very trick. Not that there's that many old SAABs flying overhead these days. Nor landing where you actually could watch them close up on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

You cannot view this attachment.

Ah, well. Memories. Another nice feature of these old kits.  :wub:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on July 28, 2024, 02:17:32 AM.......... and I was the only one looking up at the different Flygvapnet jets howling by. When, in time, learning to identify them by their different engine noise, I was seen as something of a geek. That was painful then but today I'm actually rather pleased that I still can perform that very trick.

Yeeeeessssssssssss, me too!  ;D

Living on RAF stations till I was 14-15 meant I was always within earshot of take-offs and landings and I could tell a Vampire/Venom from a Meteor by their sounds when I was 8 or 9. It drove my school mates CRAZY!  ;D  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That's a fantastic photograph  :thumbsup:  and people round here complain about the railway level crossing gates (well Tram actualy, but it runs on the old rail line)  ;)

Quote from: Pellson on July 28, 2024, 02:17:32 AMAnd yet maybe not. This hobby was lonelier then. No internet groups, and not even a local IPMS chapter. If I even knew IPMS existed. And sourcing information was an outright nightmare. Books and magazines were few and far between - if you weren't living in Stockholm where there was one (1) bookshop carrying international militaria. I was not, maybe visiting Stockholm and relatives twice a year.

Yup like everything ; pluses and minuses, checks and balances. The growth of shopping on-line has meant the "death" of all the model shops we used to have near where I live, but then no model shop would be able to stock 10% of what's available on line (Hannants is an importer/wholesaler so is a different case) : pluses and minuses  :mellow:

The trick is to make the most of the pluses  :thumbsup: