Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Another beautifully slow day here by the sea. Warm but rather windy, yet not worse than allowing for some modelling outdoors.

First out was the SAABs, which I actually managed to  move forward almost all the way to decalling. Only some very minor touch up remaining before varnish.
Next, I went for the Hellenic Mirage 2k, finalising the cockpit and closing it up. I also took a closer look at the old Matchbox Buckeye, making some plans for interior painting and other pre-construction work, adding another kit to the construction table, not to leave the M F1CG alone.

Well, today's big achievement is still sorting the Lansens, one example of which can be seen here in its current state of affairs   

You cannot view this attachment.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

What's not to like about a Lansen?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 29, 2024, 06:54:12 AMThe trick is to make the most of the pluses  :thumbsup:

That's so true.
And some of us spend our whole lives coming to that conclusion...  :banghead:

Quote from: Pellson on July 27, 2024, 04:04:45 AMRick: b) applies, thank God for that..  ;D

Whew - relieved noises!  ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

In that scheme it almost looks British. ;)

:thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

Looking very good! Lansen is a beauty indeed. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 30, 2024, 07:06:59 AMIn that scheme it almost looks British. ;)

A Lansen in a Hunter squadron's colours might look interesting.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2024, 05:44:44 AMA Lansen in a Hunter squadron's colours might look interesting.

Curses, I've been rumbled....................... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2024, 09:12:29 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2024, 05:44:44 AMA Lansen in a Hunter squadron's colours might look interesting.

Curses, I've been rumbled....................... :(

;D  ;D

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 31, 2024, 05:44:44 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on July 30, 2024, 07:06:59 AMIn that scheme it almost looks British. ;)

A Lansen in a Hunter squadron's colours might look interesting.

Actually, the camouflage is the ubiquitous Draken scheme, and all colours are Swedish, differing not so little from the British contemporaries. This green is less olive, the grey is actually blue and the belly is equivalent to German RLM 76 Hellgrau.

That said, The thought of a British Lansen has occurred also to me, especially as the RSwAF got some (120, actually) surplus Hunter F.4's as a stopgap measure, waiting for Draken deliveries. What if they payed with some 80 Lansens instead? After all - the RAF all weather strike force at the time was all Canberries and no radars..  ;)
However, the Lansens should then have been allocated to Canberra sqns rather than Hunter sqns.

I'll leave this to any interested taker for the moment as I'm still knee deep in Hellenic aircraft when not completing these Swedish ones.

Pellson

..and speaking about Spartans, there's been some development despite lovely weather and continued detail painting of SAAB's.
The M2K is now mechanically complete bar the odd antennae on the fin, all to be scratched of course. Also, there's some chaff/flare dispensers to go in the wing roots left to sort, but all in all, it's looking Mirage-ish.

The Corsair II is also mechanically complete but for some of the load pylons that will have to be painted before going on. Having mulled a lot on loadout I've come to the simplistic conclusion of actually using the four MER's in the kit, despite their inherent awfulness, but leaving the decision of actual bombs for later. The kit bombs are really small and also funnily placed on the pallet, so I'm considering some kind of update in this department later on.
Another thought is to update the aircraft with something somewhat more smart than the Pave Penny pod the Americans added to the SLUF's late in their lives. The PPP can only pick up already lasered targets whereas a Ferranti or Thomson LRMTS can do that as well as measure range to anything it's pointed at. And as the Greeks have been buying lots of French stuff over the years, why not?

And finally, also the Buckeye is built. The only modification here is reworked and repositioned bang seats. The kit ones were rather rudimentary (which I often can live with) but also positioned too far back (due to having too thin backs) and much too low in the fuselage. As a matter of fact, the teacher wouldn't have seen anything but the inside of the cockpit from his seat. Enter some sprue and other leftovers from the kit, and hey presto!

You cannot view this attachment.

Tomorrow's another day, but unfortunately one that looks a bit busy. But there's a weekend ahead!

Rick Lowe

Y'know, the Buckeye looks more interesting than the box artwork made it.
Interesting plane, I can see it as a sort-of A-37's bigger brother.

Pellson

Time flies, it seems, but some progress - if minor - can be noted: There's now varnish on the SAAB's, putting them firmly in line for decalling. And tomorrow seems to become a rainy day, so as long as work will refrain from interrupting more important proceedings, we might see more then.  :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on August 07, 2024, 09:28:36 AMTime flies, it seems, but some progress - if minor - can be noted: There's now varnish on the SAAB's, putting them firmly in line for decalling. And tomorrow seems to become a rainy day, so as long as work will refrain from interrupting more important proceedings, we might see more then.  :wacko:

I hope you were "touching wood", or whatever the Swedish equivalent is when you were typing that ?  :angel:

frank2056

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2024, 12:28:42 AMI hope you were "touching wood", or whatever the Swedish equivalent is when you were typing that ?  :angel:

That sent me down the rabbit hole! I think it would be difficult to find a culture that doesn't have that expression (or variant) in their language.