Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2024, 12:28:42 AM
Quote from: Pellson on August 07, 2024, 09:28:36 AMTime flies, it seems, but some progress - if minor - can be noted: There's now varnish on the SAAB's, putting them firmly in line for decalling. And tomorrow seems to become a rainy day, so as long as work will refrain from interrupting more important proceedings, we might see more then.  :wacko:

I hope you were "touching wood", or whatever the Swedish equivalent is when you were typing that ?  :angel:

The four SAAB's got their stickers on yesterday as the rain poured down. I also sealed it in with a second layer of Johnson varnish. The main upside with that is that the Johnson stuff also seep in under not so well attached decals, finally setting them as desired. Next is matt varnish to get the desired finish, and then some detail painting, such as camera ports etc.

Somewhat against my normal habits, I decided to add most of the stencilling as well, or rather fuel port location markings, crushing hazard markings and so on and so forth. That did make quite some difference! I might have to reconsider my usual approach.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on August 09, 2024, 04:55:17 AMSomewhat against my normal habits, I decided to add most of the stencilling as well, or rather fuel port location markings, crushing hazard markings and so on and so forth. That did make quite some difference! I might have to reconsider my usual approach.

It's an odd one, but I think some models can look a bit "bare" without at least some stencils, whilst others can look far to "busy" with them. And that's before we even start talking about F.4's  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on August 08, 2024, 07:32:56 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2024, 12:28:42 AMI hope you were "touching wood", or whatever the Swedish equivalent is when you were typing that ?  :angel:

That sent me down the rabbit hole! I think it would be difficult to find a culture that doesn't have that expression (or variant) in their language.

Glad to be of service sir  ;)  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 09, 2024, 06:05:33 AMIt's an odd one, but I think some models can look a bit "bare" without at least some stencils, whilst others can look far to "busy" with them. And that's before we even start talking about F.4's  :angel:

Yes, quite. I think I first noticed when doing the Norm 81 Starfigher, but these ones too does benefit really well from some extra colour dots.

You cannot view this attachment.

I once did build a Fujimi RAF Phantom FGR.2 and went all the way with all stencilling. That has put me off since..  :rolleyes:

However, maybe I'll have to reconsider, as said. At least partially.

NARSES2

frank2056

Both came out great!

You can use Future/Johnson's varnish as a decal setting solution/glue, too. Works great if done carefully. As it dries, it will drag the decal down tightly into panel lines and over surface details.

PR19_Kit

Oooooh, that Lansen!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on August 09, 2024, 08:51:14 AMBoth came out great!

You can use Future/Johnson's varnish as a decal setting solution/glue, too. Works great if done carefully. As it dries, it will drag the decal down tightly into panel lines and over surface details.

Indeed. it also performs the same trick for 3D Decals like seat belts etc  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

That duo looks so good...  :wub:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Regarding the stencils, i think that they always help to give the model a more realistic look while adding interest with more to look at and i like that so, i tend to use most, if not all but that's just a personal preference. :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Pellson

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 10, 2024, 06:28:50 AMi tend to use most, if not all but that's just a personal preference. :mellow:

Ive been too lazy..  ;)

zenrat

The level of stencilling I do depends on how I feel at the time of transferring.  Except for Phantoms.  They need to have as many as possible.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Well, somewhat unexpectedly, I again find myself in the cottage, preparing for yet another working week out of here. The original plan was to just stay the day today to allow the eldest to work a shift and then go home over her free Monday and Tuesday, upon which she would return under own power (her car is in for service during her off days), and then maybe pop out here on Thursday morning, having two days here before next weekend's programme. However, this morning, her employer asked her to cover an extra shift tomorrow, and accordingly, she'll need some transportation. And I get to mix work and wellbeing in a somewhat more active way than usual. Like taking the bearded first mate for a ride on the waves.

You cannot view this attachment.

Also, as it's only me, Mr Moustache and the daughter here, I get to occupy as much of the dinner table as I like.

Accordingly, when popping home this evening for a quick resupply of the most important things (underwear, medicines and models) I took the opportunity to fine tune the tool kit and supplies a bit, hoping not only to finalise the SAAB mafia, but maybe also bring a few Danish strike birds up to a similar stage. Also, obviously, the Spartans are still here. Maybe I can actually complete something the same year I started it, for a change..  :angel:

Well - we'll see about that. But I'll make sure to enjoy myself regardless.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: frank2056 on August 09, 2024, 08:51:14 AMBoth came out great!

The only snag is that it can dissolve the paint - I had issues with it over Xtracrylix.  In addition, it holds the decal too tightly and it's exceedingly difficult to remove them if you want to change it later.  Both reasons why I only use it for dipping canopies now.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kerick

I think I would end up just motoring around on the water if the weather would stay like that!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise