Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Same situation as the Middle East military's and so many others. You can have all the latest equipment but if your troops don't know what to do with it you're screwed. Training, training, training!!!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on April 13, 2022, 11:57:36 AM
I thought this might help brighten the subject a bit

I certainly made me smile  ;D

Gondor

That's a first, they didn't call it a tank...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: frank2056 on April 13, 2022, 08:23:19 AM
Don't know if this will make anyone feel slightly better, but this article, "I Commanded U.S. Army Europe. Here's What I Saw in the Russian and Ukrainian Armies. " by Mark Hertling is enlightening and somewhat hopeful.

Then there's the video/propaganda of the Ukrainian goddess dealing with a Spetsnaz...

Good article, Frank! Thanks for posting it! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

And there's this

Photoshopping needs a little more work.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

frank2056

Fake News! Clearly the triumphant Moskva successfully intercepted the anti-ship missiles launched at it!

Nick

They've finally put the fire out on the Moskva. It sank.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on April 14, 2022, 02:09:17 PM
They've finally put the fire out on the Moskva. It sank.  :thumbsup:

Ah but some things can still burn in water  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

The loss of RNS Moskva is really a serious blow to the Russian war effort as she was the main provider of anti-air capacity in the Black Sea Flotilla. And that is in addition to the loss of C3 capacity in her role as flagship. Going by reactions in Russian TV, I think we can expect an increase in Russian bombardment of Ukrainian targets, though. We'll see what comes out of it.

Also Foreign Secretary Blinken assesses the war to last through all of 2022. That's not an encouraging prospect and it will be of ultimate importance that the west not only continues to support the Ukrainian war effort, but actually increases the capacity of the systems provided. Ukraine will need to improve their control of their airspace as well as their capacity to intercept Russian supply efforts.

Finally, but probably most important, the west really needs to totally embargo any Russian energy deliveries. One may argue that this will drive European energy costs through the roof, but the alternative is a long and increasingly inhuman war, and in worst case even further Russian aggression towards the west. Armed aggression, that is, and the consequences of a Russia confidently attacking westwards would be immeasurable.

But we'll see. Either way, it is another significant morale boost for the Ukrainians. Let's hope it actually also has a practical consequence for the Russian war effort.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

frank2056

Starving Russia financially will have another effect - Putin's greatest goal (and so far, greatest success, since around 2015-2016) has been destabilizing the West politically. If they're short on dollars and euros, they won't be able to meddle in Western elections to the extent that they have in the past nor will they be able to support a wide swath of isolationist/nationalist/populist/far right candidates & parties.

Pellson

Quote from: frank2056 on April 15, 2022, 07:16:59 PM
Starving Russia financially will have another effect - Putin's greatest goal (and so far, greatest success, since around 2015-2016) has been destabilizing the West politically. If they're short on dollars and euros, they won't be able to meddle in Western elections to the extent that they have in the past nor will they be able to support a wide swath of isolationist/nationalist/populist/far right candidates & parties.

While you're absolutely right in principle, I don't know if the Russian impact really is that big, to be honest. It often seems to me that we in the west are more than capable to ruin democracy all on our own, and mostly just out of spite and pity envy.

But we're dangerously close to the politics prohibition here now, so I'll leave the subject, just hoping for a future world more bent towards cooperation and mutual respect.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

On another notice - following the pandemic, we've now been able to visit our Danish relatives this Easter, for the first time in three years. It's lovely seeing them again, and equally lovely to meet the spring. They're weeks ahead here, and it's always very comforting to see the greenish hues coming forth in the woods here. Back home, it's still all grey.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on April 16, 2022, 02:45:30 AM

On another notice - following the pandemic, we've now been able to visit our Danish relatives this Easter, for the first time in three years. It's lovely seeing them again,

I think a lot of people are experiencing similar this Easter  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Having had a lovely weekend in DK, we're now back home, actually enjoying some spring weather here as well. The 110 Defender have performed flawlessly (which makes me wonder when it'll disintegrate out of spite) so I treated it with some new oil.
The short sister (Defender 90) that's been grounded over a slack steering is now disassembled enough to cure the problem but I'll need another tool to reach in to the adjuster. Ah, well. Buying tools is actually pretty fun, so I'll try to live with it..  ;) Also, a jubilee clip will have to be renewed. That too seems survivable.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, no modelling done, but the prospect of Luftwaffe MiGs in NATO service still triggers me. As always, though, I find it a bit difficult to start any construction before I have a quite clear view on the backstory, so that's where I've begun. Still nowhere near enough though, I'm afraid.
And tomorrow's another working day. I'd really liked a good pension deal right now..  :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Quote from: Pellson on April 18, 2022, 04:23:58 PM
I'd really liked a good pension deal right now..  :rolleyes:

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 18, 2022, 04:47:33 PM
Quote from: Pellson on April 18, 2022, 04:23:58 PM
I'd really liked a good pension deal right now..  :rolleyes:

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

Having been a teacher for over 25 years, I am extremely fortunate in having a reasonably adequate pension........enough to buy Madame R  plants for the garden and the occasional bottle of strong amber-coloured Scottish falling-down water.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet