Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Sounds like good news all around, then!
Nice to revisit some of the old models, and as you said, even if we can see they're not up to our current standards, the 'nostalgia lens' filters out most negative things.
Glad your young lady is recovering well, please give her our continued good wishes.
And things taking less time than budgeted is a definite bonus!

Yeah, dayglo is always a pain being notoriously thin and translucent. I don't know how many coats I had to put on my Antarctic Weasel, even over a base of pink...

Nick

I'd like to know how you use the Klear on the older decals. I've got a few sheets that are prone to breaking up in water.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2022, 12:16:15 AMI'd like to know how you use the Klear on the older decals. I've got a few sheets that are prone to breaking up in water.

You can use any acrylic varnish - apply a thin coat over the decals on the paper (best with an airbrush, but it's also possible with a hairy stick), let kt dry thoroughly and use the decal as normal - just be careful when you transfer the decal onto the model. Letting it slide over on a good film of water is recommended, with as few physical contacts as possible. Not certain if this saves an ESCI sheet, but I had good success on some other decals that notoriously disintegrated without a varnish film support.

TomZ

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2022, 12:16:15 AMI'd like to know how you use the Klear on the older decals. I've got a few sheets that are prone to breaking up in water.

I've also used Micro Liquid Decal film:

https://www.rebell.com/micro-liquid-decal-film.html?___store=international&___from_store=default

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Pellson

Quote from: TomZ on October 27, 2022, 04:15:54 AM

I've also used Micro Liquid Decal film:

https://www.rebell.com/micro-liquid-decal-film.html?___store=international&___from_store=default

TomZ

I once had a bottle of liquid decal film, and that was absolutely awesome! Anything could be saved!
But alas, I ran out of it, and I haven't been able to source new film in Sweden. Instead, this is a temporary solution, and while not working as well as liquid decal film (it's a lot more fragile), it does work if handled with a significant amount of care.

I paint my decals with a hairy stick. Preferrably, two or three layers, but yesterday, I made do with one. The upside with Klear seems to be that many decals also soften a bit, so they can relatively easily be forced around edges and into crevices if needed, using more Klear to glue them into place.

However, Tom is linking to Swedish hobby shop, so I'll be sure to place an order!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Glad the daughter is on her way to recovery  :thumbsup:

Perhaps an application of Klear to her ankle might expedite things ? We seem to use it for almost everything else around here.   ;)  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 27, 2022, 05:47:39 AMPerhaps an application of Klear to her ankle might expedite things ? We seem to use it for almost everything else around here.   ;)  ;D

Do you think some would fix my duff hearing aid then?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2022, 07:22:36 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 27, 2022, 05:47:39 AMPerhaps an application of Klear to her ankle might expedite things ? We seem to use it for almost everything else around here.   ;)  ;D

Do you think some would fix my duff hearing aid then?

We could try it at Telford ? :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Travelling to the Danish relatives, there'll be no modelling for a few days now. But sod that - it'll be great to meet good friends and hang out in the friendliest country in Scandinavia.

We're as usual taking the ferry between Zealand and Jutland. It takes an hour and a half of motorways off the schedule, replacing it with a very fast ferry indeed (37 knots!), nice seats and good pastries. I think it's a bargain!

You cannot view this attachment.

Back at home though, the Norm 83 F-84F is actually finished, as is the Tornado. The photo Phantom still needs some stuff under her wings as does the Hun.
I also had another look at the fighters, or rather their colour scheme. That sodding light blue grey is still elusive, but I've resorted to mixing my own from a tin of Revell RAL7001. I'm almost there, I think, but the final touch to that will be when I return home next week.

Now - Denmark, beer and friends. Thats worthy of my undivided attention, methinks.

Dr. Griffin

Have a good time.
Our local ferry, which I catch regularly, on does 4-5 kph (according to my GPS).

NARSES2

I like Copenhagen, nice place  :cheers:  Other than that the only other place I know in Denmark is Frederiksværk which is the home of Dansteel *

* As I haven't been there for 16 or so years I thought I'd better check they are still going, they are  :thumbsup: , and I discover the town has a gunpowder mill. Odd that I was at a Brit one on Friday ? Or is it Halloween ?  :angel:

Pellson

I think gunpowder is a booming business these days..:wacko:

The relatives live outside Aarhus, Denmarks 2nd biggest city, and today, we went in town to "Den gamle by", or "The old town", which is an open air museum, showing houses and city living from the 16th century up to the 20th century. Interesting, not least as they actually have moved houses and environments there as new as about 50 years old. The interiors on display includes a kindergarten from the mid 70's, and quite honestly, seeing that together with my two youngest was almost a bit painful. While I can't complain about the part of my childhood being spent at my parents, the hours in daycare was an entirely different matter.

Back at the family's, I'm now trying to recuperate using beer and uncle Klaus's best barbecued filet. While I'm really fine, I wouldn't dream of letting the mrs know that until I've comforted myself with at least another plate and a few more cans.  :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on October 30, 2022, 09:03:01 AMI think gunpowder is a booming business these days..:wacko:

You know I keep a BOOK for comments like that ?  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on October 30, 2022, 09:03:01 AMThe relatives live outside Aarhus, Denmarks 2nd biggest city, and today, we went in town to "Den gamle by", or "The old town", which is an open air museum, showing houses and city living from the 16th century up to the 20th century. Interesting, not least as they actually have moved houses and environments there as new as about 50 years old.

There's quite a few museums like that in the UK now and whilst most of them concentrate on the Industrial Revolution through 1930's period it is very odd feeling when one opens a new "street" and it's the 1960's  :-\

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 31, 2022, 06:23:20 AM
Quote from: Pellson on October 30, 2022, 09:03:01 AMThe relatives live outside Aarhus, Denmarks 2nd biggest city, and today, we went in town to "Den gamle by", or "The old town", which is an open air museum, showing houses and city living from the 16th century up to the 20th century. Interesting, not least as they actually have moved houses and environments there as new as about 50 years old.

There's quite a few museums like that in the UK now and whilst most of them concentrate on the Industrial Revolution through 1930's period it is very odd feeling when one opens a new "street" and it's the 1960's  :-\

That's what my Mum said about the new street at Beamish.
She was half shocked and half amused that her childhood was now a museum topic.