Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on June 17, 2023, 11:35:16 PMLeading a happy life is all we all hope for.  May happier chappy status be bestowed upon you.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Pellson on June 17, 2023, 01:57:43 PMAnd it is needed. My work situation is changing for the worse and with that, it seems, a significant pay cut coinciding

I've a few friends in the UK all in the same position and none of them can quite retire yet. I'm part of the lucky generation that could get out early and on a decent pension
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 18, 2023, 12:35:26 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 17, 2023, 11:35:16 PMLeading a happy life is all we all hope for.  May happier chappy status be bestowed upon you.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I too would like to wish the whole Pellson family every happiness.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

Magnificent weather for over a month now, but unfortunately also a lot of work. I really don't get why someone just can't pay me to shut up and stay out of their way..  ;)

Anyway - the famed bathroom renovation is on its absolutely final leg, just lacking six doorknobs. Everything else is there, including new mirror (€450!!!  :o ) hooks, the odd painting and what have you. And it's good! And a stress release to be done with.
The Defenders, however, keep mobbing me, but that's why you have more than one. Hopefully, one will work..  :rolleyes:
The current offender is having some vibrations I can't trace, som I'm calling in an old debt, handing the project over to pros, hopefully during next week.
The same goes for an uncooperative outboard engine. Having lost my temper over it, I seriously considered replacing it - until I realised the cost of a new engine. For Christs sake!!  :o  :o
So that'll get the pro treatment too. Annoying - I usually can sort them myself, but lately, it seems I've been out of luck.

This morning, we got about 10 mm (ca 2/5" for you traditionalists) of rain, unexpectedly giving me an urge to do some plastics again. Unfortunately, I haven't had time yet, but it's really nice to feel the pull. Also, I received another stash addition I'm not very likely to be able to house once built, but still, it adds to the feel good. Just sifting through the sprues, you know..  :wub:

I'll get there. And next week is actually the last working week prior to holiday season.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on July 02, 2023, 09:11:50 AM...This morning, we got about 10 mm (4" for you traditionalists) of rain...

?
 :mellow:

<pedent mode off>
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on July 03, 2023, 04:58:18 AM
Quote from: Pellson on July 02, 2023, 09:11:50 AM...This morning, we got about 10 mm (4" for you traditionalists) of rain...

?
 :mellow:

<pedent mode off>

Thanks. Too dumb to convert, apparently.. ;)

Pellson

Looking at that Sentry in it's box, I seriously can't understand how people building aircraft in 1/32 make space ends meet. Where do they store their builds?!? Or do they just build one, then die?

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on July 03, 2023, 06:32:52 AMLooking at that Sentry in it's box, I seriously can't understand how people building aircraft in 1/32 make space ends meet. Where do they store their builds?!? Or do they just build one, then die?

You and me me both
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Another lovely summers day, and the Danish family has arrived. Great fun, and a much looked-forward-to week together. However, they're using the home office/hobby room during their stay, so not much in the way of modelling.
But then again - I can build once they've left.

The ongoing political events is however somewhat inspiring for a Cold War aficionado as yours truly. One can't help but mull on how it would have looked if this would have occurred in sequence with the fall of the wall in Berlin. The aircraft were so much funnier then. Today's outrageously boring F-35's and Flankers.. they don't trigger me in the same way as the aircraft of the 60's and 70's do. Or I'm just old and grumpy..

Anyway - my latest subject for thought is what kind of air force the three Baltic states could have taken over and fielded against their former oppressors if war had broken out immediately after secession. MiG-21's, surely, but it would have been cool with Su-15's as well. And Su-7's, or even -17's in tactical roles. I might need a decal printer, though..

From another perspective, what would the Irish have flown if having joined NATO together with the rest of Europe in the 60's and 70's. British, French or American? Or a mix? One could argue they're a small(-ish) country with limited finances, but then again, so were Norway, Denmark and Portugal, for instance.

And finally - if Sweden would have joined from the start - would we have bought rather than built our own aircraft, and if not - would we have been able to sell more within the European NATO?

Well - back to beer and barbecue. There'll be time for hobbies later on.

Rheged

Quote from: Pellson on July 09, 2023, 06:16:52 AMAnother lovely summers day, and the Danish family has arrived.

This sounds to me to be an appropriate set of priorities!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on July 09, 2023, 06:16:52 AMOr I'm just old and grumpy..

Yes  ;)  ;D

Quote from: Pellson on July 09, 2023, 06:16:52 AMFrom another perspective, what would the Irish have flown if having joined NATO together with the rest of Europe in the 60's and 70's. British, French or American?

They'd have flown French just to have annoyed us (the Brits)  ;)  ;D  Besides numerous Irish regiments fought for the French Monarchy  :angel:

Enjoy the break with the family  :cheers:

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2023, 06:46:52 AMThey'd have flown French just to have annoyed us (the Brits)  ;)  ;D  Besides numerous Irish regiments fought for the French Monarchy  :angel:

But large numbers of Republican Irish also fought in the British army during WW2, as well! ;)

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 09, 2023, 06:46:52 AMEnjoy the break with the family  :cheers:

Couldn't agree more! :cheers:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on July 09, 2023, 06:21:07 AM
Quote from: Pellson on July 09, 2023, 06:16:52 AMAnother lovely summers day, and the Danish family has arrived.

This sounds to me to be an appropriate set of priorities!

Concur, wholeheartedly!  :thumbsup:

zenrat

The large number of americans claiming irish descent would have meant selling aircraft to Eire would be seen as a vote winning move.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on July 09, 2023, 06:16:52 AM..what kind of air force the three Baltic states could have taken over and fielded against their former oppressors if war had broken out immediately after secession. MiG-21's, surely, but it would have been cool with Su-15's as well. And Su-7's, or even -17's in tactical roles. I might need a decal printer, though..

Having googled a bit on the subject, it seems the locally based Soviet forces mainly flew MiG-23MLD's in air-to-air and MiG-27's in tactical air-to-ground. Then also some Su-17's and -24's in recon roles and even a bomber regiment flying Tu-22M3's. And an odd PVO-regiment of Su-27's, having replaced Su-15's in the 80's.
That bomber regiment could be somewhat uneconomic to inherit for such a small country, methinks, but..

Well - while the Floggers seem logical enough (and a bit funnier than the ancient Fishbeds, IMHO) I still quite can't leave the thought of some Flagons as well. I'm lucky this is whif-world..

But that's for a rainier day.

Pellson

Still not being able to resuscitate my mojo, I've taken to the last resort and snagged a few StashTM additions off Evilbay. Not really a sustainable course of action looking at the current inventory in relation to my construction pace, but there's a certain satisfaction in fondling kits too. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Finally on our own (well - kids and dogs unaccounted for), we've moved out to the summerhouse for a little while. The weather isn't that impressive (no Mediterranean heat shocks here, thankfully) and to allow for sudden mojo attacks, I did bring a box with tools, some paints and a few models. We'll see if I get going.

But in the meantime, having another cuppa while dozing away in the sofa isn't all that bad either.