Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Pellson on September 18, 2023, 02:34:05 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 17, 2023, 10:33:11 PM... just Take The Win!  :thumbsup:

Yep. You bet!  ;)

Btw - no offense taken whatsoever.

Cool, thanks - good to know.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's annoying when you think you'll get a slower start to the week, or some time to catch up with stuff, and you get slammed...  :banghead:

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on September 18, 2023, 02:34:05 PM...I managed to sneak in a quick but rather thorough deep dive into the surprisingly unclarified depths of MiG-25 interceptor variants, or more to the point, the outward differences between these. The amount of guesswork is impressive as is the lack of indisputable evidence, but by the looks of things, as long as you're not too fussy about panel lines (or sand them off), the three main differences I can find between the first generation of fighter Foxbats, the 25P, and the second, the PD/PDS, are the nose pitot/air data boom, the under nose IRST and the brake chute container between the jet exhausts. The vaunted nose extension seems to be a hoax, to be honest, and I actually suspect the difference I length data evident from various sources is entirely due to aforementioned chute box. Upgrading a P kit will thus be relatively straightforward as long as you just simply overlook just that chute box. At least if it's an old, already built Foxbat you want to refurbish...

I recommend Bill Gunston's Encyclopaedia of Soviet Aircraft 1875 - 1995 for such research.  Not cheap but worth it if soviet stuff is your bag.  I have a copy and would look up MiG 25 data for you but unfortunately all my large format reference books are in storage.   :banghead:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Quote from: zenrat on September 19, 2023, 02:37:24 AM
Quote from: Pellson on September 18, 2023, 02:34:05 PM...I managed to sneak in a quick but rather thorough deep dive into the surprisingly unclarified depths of MiG-25 interceptor variants, or more to the point, the outward differences between these. The amount of guesswork is impressive as is the lack of indisputable evidence, but by the looks of things, as long as you're not too fussy about panel lines (or sand them off), the three main differences I can find between the first generation of fighter Foxbats, the 25P, and the second, the PD/PDS, are the nose pitot/air data boom, the under nose IRST and the brake chute container between the jet exhausts. The vaunted nose extension seems to be a hoax, to be honest, and I actually suspect the difference I length data evident from various sources is entirely due to aforementioned chute box. Upgrading a P kit will thus be relatively straightforward as long as you just simply overlook just that chute box. At least if it's an old, already built Foxbat you want to refurbish...

I recommend Bill Gunston's Encyclopaedia of Soviet Aircraft 1875 - 1995 for such research.  Not cheap but worth it if soviet stuff is your bag.  I have a copy and would look up MiG 25 data for you but unfortunately all my large format reference books are in storage.   :banghead:

That has been referenced but not even Mr Gunston seems to be able to point out exactly where the possible nose extension should have been placed. And measuring on photos gives no clue, as the noses of the two version look very much equal in length.
That said, I might very well be absolutely barking wrong, but then again - I'm here. Not on Britnitpickmodeller, so..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Exactly.  Such things only matter in real life.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 20, 2023, 04:59:29 AMExactly.  Such things only matter in real life.

And pray sir, what is your definition of "real life" ?  :angel:  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Undecided weather, these days. Strange. There's been cold and damp mornings followed by rather warm and sunny afternoons. This one, today, even as high as 21C which indeed is quite warm for the season.

I took my mum and the eldest lass to the local bookshop tonight. The bookshop, being not only our local well of culture and knowledge, happens to be the oldest still active bookshop in all the country, and it's current proprietor is a very nice chap indeed who's setting up various writer visits and such, giving our little town a significantly more culturally active scene than its size motivates. Tonight, two blokes were visiting, having written a study on folklore, belief in magic and ghosts etc, focusing on rather local traditions. Interesting, and obviously, we did buy their book. So an evening well spent, despite not having engaged at all in neither modelling nor research.

As I think I've mentioned, I usually use my nowadays rather old and battered IPhone for surfing and writing on this site. Lately, it has started to play up, more often than not refusing to stay where I am on a webpage, but rather on its own scroll up to the top of the page. It's annoying beyond reason, and I'm seriously tempted to scrap the damned thing and get another one. That, however, would include me having to convince my employers IT function that this example is useless, a task probably even more annoying than just bearing with the sodding phone. Well - eventually I might get round to it. But it'll take some mental preparation.

Speaking of modelling, I'm having something of a dip in mojo currently, but as I've gathered a good few models ready to paint, it's actually a bit of business as usual. I tend to defer painting when reading the end of construction, and then often finding it even harder to decal after having painted. Once decalled, however, the lust usually returns, so I should probably just try to crack on.
But not tonight. It's not even eight hours to the bell goes off, so I'd better nap.

kerick

I also get backed up when I reach the paint stage. Something about all the setup and clean up makes it a pain. I can think of four models off the top of my head sitting around on the shelf waiting for paint. Plus I've had problems with paint doing stupid things all on its own on several projects lately. Putty and plastic never curl up or turn into alligator skin just sitting there. That's where the Metal Earth photo etch kits are nice. No paint required. Did you ever notice the first four letters in paint spell pain?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on September 20, 2023, 02:05:53 PMI also get backed up when I reach the paint stage. Something about all the setup and clean up makes it a pain.

One of the benefits of continuing to use a brush is that you can get straight into it. Mind you I'm a bit of a Luddite  ;) 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 20, 2023, 01:33:29 PMUndecided weather, these days. Strange. There's been cold and damp mornings followed by rather warm and sunny afternoons. This one, today, even as high as 21C which indeed is quite warm for the season.

I took my mum and the eldest lass to the local bookshop tonight. The bookshop, being not only our local well of culture and knowledge, happens to be the oldest still active bookshop in all the country,

And lots of snow in Northern Sweden according to BBC Breakfast who had some interesting footage.

Book shops are simply amazing places where I can get lost for hours  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2023, 12:30:01 AM
Quote from: kerick on September 20, 2023, 02:05:53 PMI also get backed up when I reach the paint stage. Something about all the setup and clean up makes it a pain.

One of the benefits of continuing to use a brush is that you can get straight into it. Mind you I'm a bit of a Luddite  ;) 

I tend to stall here, too, but I think it's more through the fear of stuffing up what is usually, up to then, a good build (even if it has fought me all the way) by putting a sucky paint scheme on it.

My airbrush is set up all the time in the garage & clean up takes about 2 minutes, max., both between colours & at the end.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

When Mrs z wanted a new work phone one time she put her existing one in a glass of water and microwaved it.
That did the trick.
Fred

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2023, 12:30:01 AM
To be quite honest, I'm a brushpainter too. But that doesn't seem to help, in my case..  :rolleyes:
QuoteAnd lots of snow in Northern Sweden according to BBC Breakfast who had some interesting footage.
Well - it's about as far north as you can come, and lukcily, the climate differs quite a lot to here. We're having 24C and sunny today - which actually is about as unusual as that snow, but in a much better way, methinks..
QuoteBook shops are simply amazing places where I can get lost for hours  :thumbsup:
Aren't they? This one is not that large, think "Notting Hill" (the film) but with a more focused proprietor. And without the Welshman, of course..  ;D
Anyway - this chap has an immaculate sense of what he has on his shelves, and his taste in crime literature reflects mine to a much too large extent. It's lovely - but at a cost..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 21, 2023, 04:34:46 AMWhen Mrs z wanted a new work phone one time she put her existing one in a glass of water and microwaved it.
That did the trick.

;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Using one as a wheel chock for your car helps too, specially when you 'forget' that it's there............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2023, 12:31:51 AM
Quote from: Pellson on September 20, 2023, 01:33:29 PMI took my mum and the eldest lass to the local bookshop tonight. The bookshop, being not only our local well of culture and knowledge, happens to be the oldest still active bookshop in all the country,

Family Rheged all agree: bookshops can be dangerous places.  You can lose far to much time(and quite often money) if you venture into a good one.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on September 21, 2023, 09:26:40 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 21, 2023, 12:31:51 AM
Quote from: Pellson on September 20, 2023, 01:33:29 PMI took my mum and the eldest lass to the local bookshop tonight. The bookshop, being not only our local well of culture and knowledge, happens to be the oldest still active bookshop in all the country,

Family Rheged all agree: bookshops can be dangerous places.  You can lose far to much time(and quite often money) if you venture into a good one.

There are three four Amongst the places I need to keep an eye on SWMBO- Spirit Halloween, our local feline rescue & tchotchke shop, Spencer's & Hot Topic, and what few bookstores we have left in the area, lest she get more than we already have.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng