Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Pellson on October 03, 2023, 12:59:24 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 02, 2023, 09:10:07 PM(not an anti-ethnic worker snark, just referencing a couple of recent news items here...)
Do you have a link? You've raised my curiosity..

QuoteSounds like the ESCI Blinder is going to get it's 'Time in the Sun'...  ;)
Possibly. Or maybe I should actually complete something already started for a change..  :rolleyes:

Here:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/immigration/300950617/100-workers-likely-caught-in-scam-that-saw-immigrants-crammed-into-house--minister

And yeah, I keep telling myself things like that - then something New and Untouched and Exciting beckons...  :wub:

Nothing wrong with second-hand... it's cheap!

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 03, 2023, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: Pellson on October 03, 2023, 12:59:24 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 02, 2023, 09:10:07 PM(not an anti-ethnic worker snark, just referencing a couple of recent news items here...)
Do you have a link? You've raised my curiosity..

QuoteSounds like the ESCI Blinder is going to get it's 'Time in the Sun'...  ;)
Possibly. Or maybe I should actually complete something already started for a change..  :rolleyes:

Here:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/immigration/300950617/100-workers-likely-caught-in-scam-that-saw-immigrants-crammed-into-house--minister

And yeah, I keep telling myself things like that - then something New and Untouched and Exciting beckons...  :wub:

Nothing wrong with second-hand... it's cheap!

Thanks. I recognise the guestworker set-up from here as well, in particular in the berry picking business where it seems common practice to treat people as slaves. It's a total shame for our entire society.

As for modelling strategies - I find the most durable strategy is to not have one at all..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

As so often before, I'm finding myself having problems getting started on painting, Right now, there's no less than five interceptors and two fighterbombers on my desk, all waiting for colours and Russian/Soviet decals. This is mojo-killing, and while thinking about it, i am unsure whether I would be more helped by having more space to put things to one side on, or by just packing them down for a while (read a year or ten) in order to actually keep chewing away at the ever growing StashTM. On the other hand, I still find the shapes of these interceptors fascinating, so maybe I should try to top a tin top or two, after all.

In other news, I'm still waiting for final results of my latest series of x-rays for my cancer. The first round showed no remissions, but neither my oncologist nor I fully believe that as they've discovered substances in my blood tests, so called "tumour markers", that may indicated that there is something growing, after all. Accordingly, a second round of x-rays were ordered, this time with even better magnification, and these are the results that still haven't arrived. And it is, unfortunately, a rather uncomfortable wait. This too add to the difficulties to focus and hence concentrate I currently am experiencing, and this in turn is annoying me, further countering any mojo left.
But - as Gandalf said - this too shall pass. Whether leading to new surgery and new treatments or not, there will be a result and then a plan, and that is usually enough to release me. It's just this limbo situation that is something of a purgatory.
On a side note, an acquaintance about my age suddenly and unexpectedly passed away last weekend. As far as I'm aware, he had no severe previous medical issues, so death can and will strike randomly. The future isn't predestined in any way. A diagnose is not a death sentence, and men will live or die no matter what we simple humans think we know. As strange as that may sound - it is somehow a little comforting.

Well - enough of the whining. Life must go on, and it indeed does. Autumn is here (which isn't my favourite time of the year at all) and that will bring less gardening chores and thus more time indoors. An indoors time can be spent at the modelling desk. Also, the Defenders are currently being taken care of big time, sorting them out for the winter proper. That's nice as it's been looming gloomily over me for a while, but being in process, the day seems a bit brighter ahead. I function better the fewer "musts" I have waiting on me.

Right. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. Now - back to sorting some work and then I might return to the anthology over the Golden Age of British female crime novellists, quite obviously focusing on Christie, Tey, James and Rendell, among others. A lovely pastime indeed. And maybe, just maybe, I'll attack the Evil Empire interceptors with some ghost grey in the pauses.

zenrat

I think you're allowed to whinge a bit mate.  You've earned that right.

My fingers are crossed for you.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Here's hoping the markers are false positives & that all is well, &, if they aren't, that your medical team can come up with something to keep you going in decent health for many years! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I hope the new x-rays at least let you know what the situation is ? There's nothing much worse than just not knowing, the mind starts to play all sorts of tricks.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Thanks, gentlemen.
As my first oncologist, a rather harsh woman of Persian descent, once told me: "The goal here is not to immediately cure you, because we know we can't, but rather to keep you alive until we can. Because we know we will be able to, some day. We just don't know how far off that day is.."

That was seven years ago this February, and my original statistical life expectancy was four months. So far, so good, apparently..  ;)

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Quote from: Pellson on October 05, 2023, 09:56:00 AMThanks, gentlemen.
As my first oncologist, a rather harsh woman of Persian descent, once told me: "The goal here is not to immediately cure you, because we know we can't, but rather to keep you alive until we can. Because we know we will be able to, some day. We just don't know how far off that day is.."

That was seven years ago this February, and my original statistical life expectancy was four months. So far, so good, apparently..  ;)

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

All considered, you're on the Plus side of the ledger!  :thumbsup:
We hope it continues for a good while yet!

And yes, sometimes hearing that sort of thing is a lot better than comforting words that don't really make any difference.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 06, 2023, 12:55:24 AM
Quote from: Pellson on October 05, 2023, 09:56:00 AMThat was seven years ago this February, and my original statistical life expectancy was four months. So far, so good, apparently..  ;)

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Very much so  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

Construction weekend again!
As earlier announced, we went to the archipelagean cottage yesterday, arriving just as the dark fell. While the family got the fire started and the baggage in place, I took to measure up for today's timber procurement, soon realising that the limiting factor here would be transport, not need. On the other hand, it's nice to run out of material before you run out of time, then not having to store material to next time. In particular as we actually don't plan ahead to such a degree that we know which weekends we can build and which we can't.
Anyway - today, we took a trip to the woodyard to collect about 400 kg of timber, and during the afternoon, we managed to complete the lower half of the support structure and with that, all levelling. Next step is the upper half, but as the levels are done, that's likely a much faster affair. On the other hand, there are some 20-odd beams in the upper half whereas only seven in the lower part.
Ah, well.. There is still some fitting to be careful with, but we'll tread carefully. And actually, it's a bit fun seeing the build grow.

I didn't even bring any modelling stuff this weekend either - for rather obvious reasons - but building deck is also building, methinks. Just less PSR..  ;)

It's been raining quite a lot during the week. The meter was overflowing, and that gives the total to more than 37mm's. That meant the little boat also had a certain need of emptying, but now that's done as well. We'll keep her in the water for the time being despite the reoccuring need for emptying. Once in a while, there is a nice evening with no wind, and then it's so lovely to take a run.

Now - tea and a biscuit, or maybe two.

Rick Lowe

When it comes to Bikkies, two is always betterer... :thumbsup:

One for each hand, you know - keeps things nicely balanced.  ;D