Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Too New Year tired (but not hung over, believe it or not) to produce anything meaningful today, but despite that, I actually managed to clean off the last of the old paint from the Lansens. Next up for that treatment are a couple of Viggens, but that's for another day.
As so often, one of the Lansens lost a few parts in the process, but most of them will be very easy to reattach. The only exception is an intake splitter plate that went AWOL inside the fuselage. Annoying!

Tomorrow, we might relocate to the cottage for a few days, and accordingly, it's unlikely with any more substantial modelling. I might bring the odd kit just to fiddle around with, but then that should be something not needing paint while I'm away from home as painting in that little house will cause some grumpiness from the rest of the family due to solvent odour.

So mainly reading for a few days, me thinks. Which in itself is a good idea.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Rick Lowe

It's always a good option to pick up a book.  :thumbsup:

Time is usually the issue...

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 01, 2024, 04:41:45 PMThe only exception is an intake splitter plate that went AWOL inside the fuselage. Annoying!

You know that it will almost certainly reappear at the most inconvenient of moments  ;D

Have a good couple of days away.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2024, 12:09:34 AM
Quote from: Pellson on January 01, 2024, 04:41:45 PMThe only exception is an intake splitter plate that went AWOL inside the fuselage. Annoying!

You know that it will almost certainly reappear at the most inconvenient of moments  ;D

I brought said Lansen (and some) and might have a go at some surgery. That said - it is really nice just sitting here, watching the snow fall outside, doing nothing.

Rick Lowe

'There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.'
Calvin, courtesy Bill Waterson  :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on January 02, 2024, 06:20:12 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2024, 12:09:34 AM

I brought said Lansen (and some) and might have a go at some surgery. That said - it is really nice just sitting here, watching the snow fall outside, doing nothing.

Bring the Lansen to a show and the part will appear inside the canopy!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on January 02, 2024, 12:45:52 PM
Quote from: Pellson on January 02, 2024, 06:20:12 AMI brought said Lansen (and some) and might have a go at some surgery. That said - it is really nice just sitting here, watching the snow fall outside, doing nothing.

That's a thought. ;D
However, I managed to carefully pry off the wings, and as the lower wing is one, big, common part, the resulting hole in the belly of the model was large enough to not only recover said splitter plate, but also clear and clean the attachment area and then reglue it in a proper way. And while at it, I took to take out a few other things on all three Lansens just to shape things up a bit. I've gotten more thorough with details with age, it seems, and the oldest of these builds is from the early eighties. 

Annoyingly, I found that I've managed to leave a few enamels behind, meaning that while I could prepare for the tidying up, I can't really complete the work. Frustrating. And adding insult to injury, I found that the old Heller AJ37 Viggen I brought, which btw also is an old youth build, also need the same colours! Ah, well.. 

The Viggen, which is so old that it's molded in that lovely dark green Heller plastic, is in for rebuild to an Sk37 EW bird.  It started life as an SH37 MR Viggen, but well before I got to complete it, I decided to make it a two seater, hence ripping out the top of the fuselage, squeezing in a second cockpit tray and seat and then it just ended up on the Shelf of Doom for more than thirty years. What I did do, however, before finally putting it away was to collect the other missing parts in an old photographic film canister and storing that with the model. Uncharacteristically talented move, I'll admit, but that has made it a lot easier to carry on with things today. And while I haven't the colours available to prepare for canopies on, I can at least do all but that. So the second stick is in, and tomorrow I'll repaint some seat cushions before adding the small spine part between the two cockpits. And then I'll have to wait for some paint..  :banghead:

Well well. Anticipating that something might go tits up, I did bring two Danish builds along as well, so if I still have some mojo tomorrow, I might carry on there instead.

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on January 02, 2024, 03:31:53 PM
Quote from: kerick on January 02, 2024, 12:45:52 PM
Quote from: Pellson on January 02, 2024, 06:20:12 AMI brought said Lansen (and some) and might have a go at some surgery. That said - it is really nice just sitting here, watching the snow fall outside, doing nothing.

That's a thought. ;D
However, I managed to carefully pry off the wings, and as the lower wing is one, big, common part, the resulting hole in the belly of the model was large enough to not only recover said splitter plate, but also clear and clean the attachment area and then reglue it in a proper way. And while at it, I took to take out a few other things on all three Lansens just to shape things up a bit. I've gotten more thorough with details with age, it seems, and the oldest of these builds is from the early eighties. 

Annoyingly, I found that I've managed to leave a few enamels behind, meaning that while I could prepare for the tidying up, I can't really complete the work. Frustrating. And adding insult to injury, I found that the old Heller AJ37 Viggen I brought, which btw also is an old youth build, also need the same colours! Ah, well.. 

The Viggen, which is so old that it's molded in that lovely dark green Heller plastic, is in for rebuild to an Sk37 EW bird.  It started life as an SH37 MR Viggen, but well before I got to complete it, I decided to make it a two seater, hence ripping out the top of the fuselage, squeezing in a second cockpit tray and seat and then it just ended up on the Shelf of Doom for more than thirty years. What I did do, however, before finally putting it away was to collect the other missing parts in an old photographic film canister and storing that with the model. Uncharacteristically talented move, I'll admit, but that has made it a lot easier to carry on with things today. And while I haven't the colours available to prepare for canopies on, I can at least do all but that. So the second stick is in, and tomorrow I'll repaint some seat cushions before adding the small spine part between the two cockpits. And then I'll have to wait for some paint..  :banghead:

Well well. Anticipating that something might go tits up, I did bring two Danish builds along as well, so if I still have some mojo tomorrow, I might carry on there instead.

Lots of work there. Good job
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 02, 2024, 03:31:53 PMWell well. Anticipating that something might go tits up, I did bring two Danish builds along as well, so if I still have some mojo tomorrow, I might carry on there instead.

A couple of quiet days away the man says  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 03, 2024, 06:33:36 AM
Quote from: Pellson on January 02, 2024, 03:31:53 PMWell well. Anticipating that something might go tits up, I did bring two Danish builds along as well, so if I still have some mojo tomorrow, I might carry on there instead.

A couple of quiet days away the man says  ;D
Famous last words
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

The winter storm is still on, and south of us, about 300 cars (Edit: news at 11 PM states that the number is 1000!) are stuck on unplowed highways, their passengers having to endure temperatures well below 0C all night. I sincerely hope they'll make it - too many people these days just aren't prepared.  And to be honest, I don't quite get how the foxtrot they could miss the met office warnings, getting caught in a perfectly foreseeable weather event.
Anyway, I'd still prefer everyone to get out of it with a scare only. But a non running car chills out rapidly.
In the cottage, we've been running the stove all day, so cosy and warm. Good combo

As things turned out, I wasn't the only one forgetting things, so I made a quick splash 'n dash home to collect a bunch of gear, my missing enamels among them. Impressively slippery and snowy backroads, but the Defender is kind of cut out exactly for this, so no drama. Hence, a few Lansen cockpits have been refurbished and added to that, I've managed to complete the cockpits of the ECM Viggen as well. Also, while at it, or rather in between the various paints were drying, I have started on a F-86D for the RDAF. That, however, will not be the interceptor it originally flew as, but rather a weapon/camouflage whif. I should probably start a thread of its own.
Anyway - it's the Hasegawa kit, and a rather fiddly one, methinks. For some reason, I liked the Deuces much more, but it's nevertheless shaping up. 

Finally, I have put wings on the first of the two STOVL SAAB's. It's hardening as we speak, so tomorrow, we'll see if they stay or if I try something else.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 03, 2024, 04:09:07 PMI don't quite get how the foxtrot they could miss the met office warnings, getting caught in a perfectly foreseeable weather event.

Because your of the generation whose brain isn't being overwhelmed with a constant flood of, mainly, trivial information and thus misses the important things.

For some reason I'm in full "old codger" mode this morning"  :angel:

Pellson

Main modelling focus today has been on young master P's Mustang. It's been stuck at painting some details, but today, he got on with it, did a really good job and while we were at it, he went on building most if the fuselage. As it's an Airfix of a certain age, it's now clamped up, hardening over night.

On my own builds, the Lansens are now ready for having their respective canopies refitted after cockpit renovation. Before doing that, however, I will need to apply some Klear to said canopies and that Klear, I didn't bring to the cottage. Right now, I can't remember why, but it doesn't seem to have been a very good idea..
Anyway - we're leaving for home tomorrow, so I'll just sort it then.

The only thing I've done to the STOVL SAAB is reinforcing the wing joints that were a little too softish. A splash of superglue later, they're solid as rock, meaning that if that wing layout isn't working, then the entire project will be binned. There's no breaking this up for parts. That said, so far I have a good feeling. I'm taking some inspiration from the SAAB 105 trainer, so I think I'll build a T-tail. However, to sort that I will need a little bit more sheet plastic than I have here, so that's also for another day.
Finally, I need to do something about the nose. I really would like a proper, fat, blunt radar nose, a bit like the project sketch in the start of this thread, but so far, I haven't found a drop tank fat enough to fit. I'll have to mull a bit further on that..

Well - the temperatures are still dropping and it looks as if it's going to stay cold as f@&k well into next week. That should make room for some indoor activities, so who knows? Maybe I'll be able to show some progress?

Gondor

I used the back end of a 1/48 gun pod for the nose of a Radar equiped second generation Harrier.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on January 04, 2024, 02:04:15 PMI used the back end of a 1/48 gun pod for the nose of a Rada equiped second generation Harrier.

Gondor

That would probably work, but I have NOTHING in 1/48. Gods own scale, and all that, y'know..  ;)