Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

As earlier stated, today's excursion took us to the RSwAF museum at the former Royal Ostgota Air Wing, F3, outside Linkoping. Loads of stuff, good fun, and the exhibition centered around the salvaged wreck of the shot-down Swedish SIGINT C-47 is magnificent and melancholic, all at once.
This time, our eldest daughter carried along and enjoyed the trip almost as much as the lad, among other things trying out a Draken cockpit. She might however not have been quite as excited about just that as her younger brother, but you can't have it all.. ;D

You cannot view this attachment.

The exhibitions do include a few rather unique items, among them a Caproni Ca313 recon bomber and both the piston and the jet driven SAAB J21 versions, but my favourites is still the Cold War exhibitions with the the jets, all the way from the Vampire F.1 to a JAS39B Gripen two seater. And, actually, a Spitfire XIX reconnaissance machine as well.

However, of these big fighters, only the Lansen can be reached close up, the others sitting on pedestals a floor up, acting as a background to a more general exhibition of Sweden during the Cold War. Here, I feel that some too politically sensitive museum pedagogues have been given all too much play room for their own good. But then again, I am a grumpy old fart.. 

Anyway - being able to go really close to the Lansen is better than nothing. It is, after all, a magnificently beautiful aircraft.

But coming closer to a Viggen, or the very lovely J35J Draken interceptor wouldn't have been unwelcome at all.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

Final stripping of paint done for this round. Now to actually make some decisions on camouflage. And try to keep work as far away as possible.

NARSES2

That Draken looks nice in that "worn" scheme
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 15, 2024, 06:15:09 AMThat Draken looks nice in that "worn" scheme
As does the Viggen.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

Quote from: scooter on January 15, 2024, 06:41:21 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 15, 2024, 06:15:09 AMThat Draken looks nice in that "worn" scheme
As does the Viggen.

A Draken looks nice in any scheme!  :wub:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

63cpe

Rick Lowe

That's her 'Let's Just Humour Dad' face...  ;D

A Bloodhound missile? I didn't know about that - how many other countries bought it?

Just a silly question: Once the Royal Family lost Gorm, would they have been called Gormless? (Yeah, I told you it was Silly... someone was going to ask it, and as I have half a planet to hide behind...)

And what's Danish for "Maaate!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 15, 2024, 08:19:16 PMA Bloodhound missile? I didn't know about that - how many other countries bought it?

Australia, Switzerland and Singapore apparently.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 15, 2024, 08:19:16 PMThat's her 'Let's Just Humour Dad' face...  ;D

A Bloodhound missile? I didn't know about that - how many other countries bought it?

Just a silly question: Once the Royal Family lost Gorm, would they have been called Gormless? (Yeah, I told you it was Silly... someone was going to ask it, and as I have half a planet to hide behind...)

And what's Danish for "Maaate!"

Gorm means "growl", but in an shouty way. Like a bear howling at you. And Danes today is a rather amicable bunch, so I guess they did get gormless.  ;D

"Maate" translated would probably be something like "makker!" With the "r" at the end all but silent.

Yeah, we looked at the Bloodhound Mk 1, bought the Mk 2, upgraded it significantly and later sold it back to the RAF as ours became much better than yours..  ;D
I had a classmate once whose dad was working on these missiles. At the time, they said he was in the rescue services at the nearby F13 wing, but 30 years later, I found him in a book posing in front of a missile launcher with the photo comment: "Lt C with his missile platoon" And I know for a fact the son wasn't aware the time.

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on January 14, 2024, 05:59:35 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 14, 2024, 01:24:48 AMHej mate.  Today i've been mostly wondering if King Fred (good name  :thumbsup: ) of Denmark is a direct descendant of Harald Bluetooth?

Can you enlighten me?

Yes, he is, as a matter of fact. However, you will have to count maternal lines as well as, f.i his father is French. It's his mother who is the Dane. But he does have a direct bloodline to Gorm the Old, and his son, Harald.

Thanks mate.
 :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on January 14, 2024, 07:23:33 AMYou cannot view this attachment.

Good pics.  The green on this Spit looks similar to RAAF Foliage Green.  In that light anyway.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Quote from: zenrat on January 16, 2024, 02:26:05 AMGood pics.  The green on this Spit looks similar to RAAF Foliage Green.  In that light anyway.

I believe Swedish Spitfire XIX aircraft were supposed to be PRU blue.

PR19_Kit

Yes, they were. All were ex-RAF aircraft.

Regards
Kit