Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: perttime on January 16, 2024, 02:41:29 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 16, 2024, 02:26:05 AMGood pics.  The green on this Spit looks similar to RAAF Foliage Green.  In that light anyway.

I believe Swedish Spitfire XIX aircraft were supposed to be PRU blue.

Are you maybe referring to the green part of the spinner, Fred? I don't think that's regulated as its a sqn colour (4th Sqn) and not part of the paint scheme as such.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

No physical modelling on this awfully cold Tuesday, but finding myself stupidly watching over a printer slowly chewing itself through about 400 pages of power grid regulatory information, I resorted to drawing up the baseline for the (slightly) evolved Lansen backstory.

Researching that, I finally decided on the camouflage scheme as well, landing on not going splinter as I'm looking at aircraft rebuilt from existing airframes during ca 1966-1970, and as the Draken scheme was decided  on in 1964 while the splinter scheme didn't arrive until more than a decade later, plus the fact that older types kept the Draken scheme well into the nineties, it seems perfectly logical to stick to blue/green over light grey.
Also, I will preserve my sanity not having to paint myself to death.

Tomorrow looks as if it's going to be a proper dog of a day, but miracles still happen, so I'm not giving in just yet.

kerick

Please preserve whatever sanity you have left! It seems to be a precious commodity these days........
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

Quote from: kerick on January 16, 2024, 04:44:35 PMPlease preserve whatever sanity you have left! It seems to be a precious commodity these days........

What He said...  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: Pellson on January 16, 2024, 04:50:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 16, 2024, 02:26:05 AMGood pics.  The green on this Spit looks similar to RAAF Foliage Green.  In that light anyway.

Are you maybe referring to the green part of the spinner, Fred? I don't think that's regulated as its a sqn colour (4th Sqn) and not part of the paint scheme as such.

I meant the paint on the majority of the airframe.  In the photo, on my screen,  to my eyes it looks like foliage green not PRU blue.
I'm not saying that's what it is, just that's what i see it as.
But then i've always had trouble telling when blue becomes green (and green becomes yellow).
The spinner paint looks like Vallejo Golden Olive.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on January 17, 2024, 02:50:37 AM
Quote from: Pellson on January 16, 2024, 04:50:57 AM

I meant the paint on the majority of the airframe.  In the photo, on my screen,  to my eyes it looks like foliage green not PRU blue.
I'm not saying that's what it is, just that's what i see it as.

Same on mine
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

perttime

It does look greenish in the photo. Perhaps the lighting was a little tricky. Happens all the time when I try to take photos ...,  ;)

Pellson

Quote from: perttime on January 17, 2024, 05:11:49 AMIt does look greenish in the photo. Perhaps the lighting was a little tricky. Happens all the time when I try to take photos ...,  ;)

It's a rather warm light in the room, so that will definitely have an impact. That said - on my screen(s) it looks OK.  ;)

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: perttime on January 17, 2024, 05:11:49 AMIt does look greenish in the photo. Perhaps the lighting was a little tricky. Happens all the time when I try to take photos ...,  ;)

NEVER trust any color you see on a monitor!

Pellson

Continued minor PSR on the Lansen renovations while working on the same aircraft's backstory. Both are progressing fine, actually, but I'm feeling the dreaded "paint block" starting to rear its ugly head as I'm nearing the inevitable paint shop stadium. All that mulling over splinter schemes wasn't really beneficial, methinks..

As it happens, however, the mid lass will be holding a birthday party in the weekend, so while her mum, the indomitable Mrs P, will be staying put dealing with backoffice support, catering etc, the rest of the family is vacating the premises to minimise risk for conflict and collateral damage. While our eldest is staying with friends (what was I expecting?), our young Sk60 pilot and yours truly will retreat to the archipelagean cottage for some father-son R&R, and having given things a second thought, I think I'll bring the two recently procured Heller Tunnans, making it a small group build. We've seen Tunnans up close, both at the recent visit at the main RSwAF museum and at the F11 reconnaissance wing museum, and having seen a rather cool film at the latter, where former pilots told a rather recently declassified story about unmarked recon overflights of Warsaw Pact harbours and other installations, I've an idea for a nice S29 build. Young Mr P will be allowed to build whatever he wants, obviously, and I'll be bringing some Swedish weaponry along, should he want to go A29 rather than fighter or reconnaissance. And as I'll be bringing the Draken camouflage colours - that with a small stretch on the green - are perfectly applicable on later S29C recon Tunnans as seen in the mid drawing below - I might be able to kick myself into some Lansen painting as well. I hope.
Still only plans, though.

Pellson

While this Saturday definitely didn't proceed as smoothly as planned, in the end, it worked out nicely enough. We did get some Tunnan work done, and some Mustang on top of that, and I even managed to close the landing gear doors of the Sabre Dog.

You cannot view this attachment.

Right now, the kids are busy going to bed while I'm still mopping up the fuselage of my reconnaissance Tunnan. Young mr P got ahead while I was painting some details on his Mustang (and my F-86, if we're to be perfectly honest) so I'd better catch up!
And it's nice to close the day on my own..

Cold as f... outside. I really long for summer now..

Pellson

Bl🤯🤯dy h😵ll, this week is on fire! I've been stuck in meeting for ten to twelve hours a day, each day this week. Today, I had planned to check out early, getting some Tunnan time in with the youngster, but then the phone went off and things got panicky again. It's nice to be in demand, but ffs?!?

Anyway - while no Tunnan time today, during the meetings I've managed to prep the Sabre Dog for the inevitable Terma wing tip pods and also do some touch up puttying on two of the Lansen renovations. I will most likely have a putty go at the F-86D too (thanks for that, Lee😝) but not today. Now it's bedtime, see, and this old fart is quite thrashed.

Onwards tomorrow.

Captain Canada

Glad I checked in to read up on things ! Interesting stuff going on in your busy world ! Where is the cottage ? Share a fw pics if you can, Love the idea of having your own retreat. I also like the new term Tunnan Time. Only us model geeks will get it lol. I'm going to have to look on youtube for some videos of their exploits. I was surely impressed at the sight of the Heritage Flight at Waddo a few years back.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on January 25, 2024, 01:07:53 PMBl🤯🤯dy h😵ll, this week is on fire! I've been stuck in meeting for ten to twelve hours a day, each day this week.

Virtual or in person ? Old retired minds are interested  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 25, 2024, 03:32:43 PMGlad I checked in to read up on things ! Interesting stuff going on in your busy world ! Where is the cottage ? Share a fw pics if you can, Love the idea of having your own retreat. I also like the new term Tunnan Time. Only us model geeks will get it lol. I'm going to have to look on youtube for some videos of their exploits. I was surely impressed at the sight of the Heritage Flight at Waddo a few years back.

The cottage..
It's more a matter of location than the house itself, to be honest. Were situated here:

The property was once acquired by my dad, back in 1959. Back then, it was an undeveloped meadow overlooking a small bay of the Baltic Sea. Subsequently, in 1962, he built a small wooden cottage, or cabin, as you more likely would call it over on that side of the pond. Initially, it was quite spartan. No running water, toilet "facilities " in the shape of a bucket etc, but from the late 1980's, we started to improve things, but by bit, so nowadays, we have sorted the water, the bathroom is indoors with a shower and an electric combustion loo and a washing machine, and the kitchen, while still somewhat on the smallish side, is fully equipped as far as stove, microwave and refrigerator/freezer goes.

Mainly, though, it's a tranquil place, so far from any relevant population centres that the night sky is dark for real, and the most common noise you'll hear are the waves breaking on the shoals, a few miles further out in the sea.
I've spent most of my childhood and adolescence there, so it's been quite formative, methinks, making me quite comfortable on and in the water, and a reasonably competent outboard engine mechanic too, should the need arise.

Six years ago, I bought out my siblings, and having done that, invested a bit of time and money in shaping things up a bit, making it so much more comfortable for those in the family not having my emotional connection to the place, and since then, we spend at least a month there every summer, and much of the other school holidays as well, maybe infusing the same love for the sea into the children as I have.

Right now, I can't find any good shots of the cottage, but I have some of the environment. Like this sunrise view over the bay just outside the house.

Chris: Mostly virtual, thank God! I find those much less stressful than having to meet "live". I'm too much of a hermit to do it the other way.  ;)