Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 25, 2021, 08:44:08 AM
Lovely weather, so the dog got a walk, and accordingly, so did I.

One of the many, many reasons why the little so and so's are so good for us. I had a Dobberman who wasn't so little but you know what I mean  ;)

Have sorted up a bit more spares, and tbh, it's starting to look reasonable. What I probably should do is build out all of the spare weaponry kits I have, to then be able to sort in the ready to use weapons in the drawer system I already have going for exactly that.   

I use a similar system for my spares, although as I mainly build 1930-1950 there does tend to be far less variety of lethality to attach to an aircraft and they all look vaguely the same, at least as far as the manufacturers were concerned until fairly recently.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 26, 2021, 05:49:34 AM
Lovely weather, so the dog got a walk, and accordingly, so did I.

One of the many, many reasons why the little so and so's are so good for us. I had a Dobberman who wasn't so little but you know what I mean  ;)

I'm originally a Lab Retriever man, but we got this little rag dumped on us, and he's surprisingly much dog despite his (lack of) size..  ;)

Have sorted up a bit more spares, and tbh, it's starting to look reasonable. What I probably should do is build out all of the spare weaponry kits I have, to then be able to sort in the ready to use weapons in the drawer system I already have going for exactly that.   

I use a similar system for my spares, although as I mainly build 1930-1950 there does tend to be far less variety of lethality to attach to an aircraft and they all look vaguely the same, at least as far as the manufacturers were concerned until fairly recently.

You draw the line by jet propulsion, then? Not a bad move..

Well, I've bought the odd armament set since forever, having both the Heller and the Airfix NATO Hi-Tech set, and thoroughly hating the PE. Then I got a few Italeri NATO sets as well, a bunch of different Hasegawa sets and two Dragon Russian sets. But I often find use for something, and I really hate to find myself lacking something. Downside - the space requirement! So I really should glue it up and sort it in. One day.. 

The Meteor FR.9A got its camouflage done today, and I've also sorted most of the camera ports. The side openings were a nightmare to paint as the demarcation lines are very, very faint, but it came out ok in the end. Two vertical ports and the IR line scanners remains to sort, but hoped I'll find time for that tomorrow. Then gloss, decals, more gloss and then matt - and done!
It's a mixed experience, that one. The Airfix F.8 isn't a very good kit and both the wings but even more so the tail planes are quite thick, especially if you would put it besides the old Matchbox NF. On the other hand, having gotten its scheme, it has turned out a very powerful looking beast, certainly able to haul around a lot of recon gear, and doing so from very austere airstrips indeed. I'll have to get going on the backstory as well.

The Shackleton got its launch rails for the Martels glued on, but that'll need some paint before hanging the missiles, and those in turn will need to get hanged before final touch ups, but then, that'll also be done. Within the original time frame, maybe even.
The GB experience has been a mixed one. On one hand, it's been good having a driver to actually complete the model, but on the other hand, it's also been a bit stressful. I like to put my build aside for a bit every now and then, to think things over, evaluate ideas and execution and, from time to time, reevaluate and rebuild. While I'm quite pleased with how the Shackleton is turning out, it's been a bit disturbing feeling the pressure from time to time. In particular when deciding on colour scheme and decals. But I think it's ok now.

Above said, it is nice to have taken the decision not to field another R&S build but rather allow oneself to indulge in half made models or entirely different themes (Spitfires!) as the lust comes and goes. I took out the Ventura PR.XIX yesterday, and the shapes are exquisite! And I have no problem with the coarser parts of a short run kit, but I have to admit the mix media, in this case separate propeller blades, are a bit annoying. I fear I'll have to build a propeller jig, something I can't say I'm looking forward to.

But that's for another day!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

TheChronicOne

Coincidentally, the "Propeller Jig" is a dance I do on occasion.  ;D

Just checking in....   ambitious efforts.. I dig it!  :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 26, 2021, 02:14:31 PM

Broadly. 1930 to 1950, so I miss most of those types that require copious amounts of thin thread/wire to complete (I think they call it rigging ?  ;)) and can include some early jet types. Not sure why I chose 1950, it's purely arbitrary and has something to do with being born in 52 maybe ? I do build the occasional post 50 subject, but the problem I have is that I never know what to do for the completion ceremony with a jet. For prop jobs the fitting of the propeller/spinner signals the completion of a build to wild celebrations  :drink: but a jet ? There are the odd types that have a propeller mounted amidships so to speak which need it fitted at an earlier stage, but not that many.

As for dogs. My niece has a Great Dane, luckily she's also a very good horsewoman therefore has all the necessary gear  :angel: Seriously it's bigger than some of the ponies in her stable, but as gentle as can be.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 27, 2021, 06:21:05 AM
Quote from: Pellson on September 26, 2021, 02:14:31 PM

Broadly. 1930 to 1950, so I miss most of those types that require copious amounts of thin thread/wire to complete (I think they call it rigging ?  ;)) and can include some early jet types. Not sure why I chose 1950, it's purely arbitrary and has something to do with being born in 52 maybe ? I do build the occasional post 50 subject, but the problem I have is that I never know what to do for the completion ceremony with a jet. For prop jobs the fitting of the propeller/spinner signals the completion of a build to wild celebrations  :drink: but a jet ? There are the odd types that have a propeller mounted amidships so to speak which need it fitted at an earlier stage, but not that many.

Valid concern. I don't have that kind of construction completion rite, though. Many times, I have to admit, it's almost the opposite. When I realise that the design is good and the build phase complete, I'm first somewhat baffled that it went so well, followed by a slight bluishness as it's the design and construction I like the best. Painting/decalling is more of a necessary evil that a joy.
And yet I do it. Leaving models unpainted isn't an option. I have tried, but..

The late biplane era is fantastic. The Hawker Fury is one of the most elegant designs I've seen. And then you have all these quirky early monoplanes like the HP Heyford, or all of those French bombers. Sometimes I wonder how they were thinking when designing.
That said - it's just not my era. I have tried it but not gotten stuck. I haven't analysed why, though, but hey - it's a hobby. And whiffing, it's not even a documenting hobby. It's pure for pleasure. I like pleasure.  ;)

As for dogs. My niece has a Great Dane, luckily she's also a very good horsewoman therefore has all the necessary gear  :angel: Seriously it's bigger than some of the ponies in her stable, but as gentle as can be.

A friend of mine has a GD as well. It's a bit like having a calf in your lap.

Yesterday, our little schnauzer got stung by a wasp. Haven't ever seen him so pitiful before. He cried most of the evening, only settling in when you gently stroke him over the sting, and this despite us sorting him with painkillers. Today he's back to his standard jolly self, mucking about as if nothing has happened. Good thing that - you never know if they're allergic to wasps or not until they "try" it.

Ah well. Back to sorting spares.

zenrat

Charlie the Wonder Dog had a run with a year old great dane yesterday.
I couldn't believe it's bark.  It seemed to come from deep deep deep down inside it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 28, 2021, 12:51:25 AM

The late biplane era is fantastic. The Hawker Fury is one of the most elegant designs I've seen. And then you have all these quirky early monoplanes like the HP Heyford, or all of those French bombers. Sometimes I wonder how they were thinking when designing.

Oh absolutely. I just wish there were some more modern tooling's of those French designs. Mind you I think they were drinking rather than thinking  :drink:

NARSES2

A friend of mine has a GD as well. It's a bit like having a calf in your lap.

Yesterday, our little schnauzer got stung by a wasp. Haven't ever seen him so pitiful before. He cried most of the evening, only settling in when you gently stroke him over the sting, and this despite us sorting him with painkillers. Today he's back to his standard jolly self, mucking about as if nothing has happened. Good thing that - you never know if they're allergic to wasps or not until they "try" it.

Ah well. Back to sorting spares.

Tell me about it, when Daisy gets on your lap you are stuck with her until she wants to get off  ;D

Glad yours's is ok. You never know with something like a wasp sting, even with humans.

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2021, 03:50:57 AM
Charlie the Wonder Dog had a run with a year old great dane yesterday.
I couldn't believe it's bark.  It seemed to come from deep deep deep down inside it.

I'm still quivering from the last time I was with Daisy and she barked  ;D Mind you that is something she very seldom does.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2021, 06:19:00 AM

Oh absolutely. I just wish there were some more modern tooling's of those French designs. Mind you I think they were drinking rather than thinking  :drink:

Ah, yes! Many Amiot designs definitely fit the phrase "Absinthe makes the plans grow stranger"    Or alternatively, they got their greenhouse/conservatory plans mixed up with the bomber plans.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Pellson

So the Shack is finally off the table. It's quite nice, actually. The last bits took some time to sort and the looming deadline was quite stressing at times. But on the whole, a predominantly good experience after all.

Now, I'm back at cleaning up old projects again. The Spits I dug out following Dizzys really nice FR.18 aren't forgotten, but forcing myself to focus on the Shackleton made it easier to get the reconnaissance Meteor moving again, hopefully avoiding another SoDTM hiatus.
If nothing strange happens, there's a substantial chance that I can get her transfers and matt topcoat on this week.

On the other hand, today, I carried in my StashTM from the storage. All 31 well boxes of it, the plan being to sift through it thoroughly, updating my excel spreadsheet as I go along. Originally, the reason for unpacking was that I'd bought some new additions that I need to sort in, but I came to realise that my knowledge of what I actually already have  has become somewhat lacking, and thus forming a not entirely comfortable obstacle when I'm watching EBay for potentially interesting catches. Having the spreadsheet up to date will make it very easy to stay on top.
But it'll take a day or two. And it will likely interfere with modelling time. However, on the other hand, it's not unlikely that it'll trigger a new list of building something entirely unthought of.

We'll see. Now - crashing time.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on September 29, 2021, 04:28:51 PM
Having the spreadsheet up to date will make it very easy to stay on top.

Oh to be young and innocent again  ;) ;D

I really do need to update mine as well, indeed I may go back to the beginning and redesign it after digging out my Excel for Idiots notes that my old No 2 kindly drew up for me  ;D

Pellson

Having gone full in with the cataloging, I've managed to work myself through about a quarter of the StashTM. While the spreadsheet structure still is valid, I'm severely behind with updates, meaning that some kits existing in the sheet shouldn't as they're built, some has been added (stash growth) and most of what's already in isn't stored where it's supposed to be, meaning I haven't the faintest of where to look for what. Ah, well. It's at least moving forward, even if I suspect that some snags are inevitable. One of them being an odd RF-4C/E I right now don't really know who will operate. Hence it isn't immediately clear in which box it's supposed to go, as I try to store after "owner". That's how I usually build, see..

It's also quite nice to remember the plans I once made for the individual kits as I handle them. Some has changed, some hasn't and the odd kit was just bought on a whim. Most of those does soon find their place, but one every now and then, like that photo Phantom, just stays undecided for quite some time before it finds a home. Well - eventually they usually do. 

And tomorrow's another day, and there's another box - or twenty - to run through.  :rolleyes:

Speaking of stash additions - I got the latest Evilbay trawl result today. Luckily, it did fit in an appropriate storage box, and for once, it fell in without sitting around forever in the wrong place. More on that in a better thread.  ;)

Pellson

The StashTM being sorted and catalogued, I'm now contemplating whether starting something new would be more fun than again returning to the Shelf of Doom for another resurrection of a lost soul. After all, there are a few candidates (15, to be exact) and some of the ones I did earlier this year, like the F-111K and the recce Super Hunter, came out quite well. On the other hand, all these Spitfires we've been talking about have started an itch for propellers I haven't felt for quite some time. And in the Great Sorting, I did find that old Whirlwind together with its Griffon engine donors.

We'll see. There's another cottage weekend ahead, and possibly some more tree cutting as well. And too tired hands aren't really well suited for modelling.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on October 07, 2021, 02:21:41 PM
And in the Great Sorting, I did find that old Whirlwind together with its Griffon engine donors.

That would be interesting. I've done a Merlin engine'd one, using the front ends of Italeri Mk V Spitfires, but hadn't thought of Griffons. Was wondering about a radial engine'd type though, couple of Mercury's ? I then heard Teddy Petter turning in his grave  :angel:

Enjoy the cottage

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2021, 06:00:58 AM
Quote from: Pellson on October 07, 2021, 02:21:41 PM
And in the Great Sorting, I did find that old Whirlwind together with its Griffon engine donors.

That would be interesting. I've done a Merlin engine'd one, using the front ends of Italeri Mk V Spitfires, but hadn't thought of Griffons. Was wondering about a radial engine'd type though, couple of Mercury's ? I then heard Teddy Petter turning in his grave  :angel:

Enjoy the cottage

In all honesty, I think I've seen a Mercuryengined Whirlwind built before. Can't remember by whom, though.
There is also an FAA Griffonised Whirlwind somewhere on the web, but I'm fine with that - good ideas are there to be utilised.  ;)

That silver birch will have to wait until tomorrow. Too lazy to chop it tonight.