Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Still sorting books. God, it's boring! :banghead:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

The problem I have when I start sorting, re-ordering books, is that I start reading them and never get very far with the sorting process at all  :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

EXACTLY my problem when trying to sort out the chaos that's my house!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Libraries are dangerous places.

I've been trying to sort ours out since we moved here (end of May 2014)  The removal men said they hated moving Teachers, doctors and vicars.....far too many books.   With family Rheged, they got stuck with me(former teacher who later worked for a book wholesaler)  Madame R  (research botanist and Anglican Lay Minister)  and the books left at home by both sons (both doing a history MA at the time)  They told us most people had a hundredweight or so of books............we had well over a ton!!

I agree with Chris; you make good start and then find a volume you'd forgotten about,         and that's you "OUT"  for some time.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on October 26, 2021, 09:30:39 AM
Libraries are dangerous places.

I've been trying to sort ours out since we moved here (end of May 2014)  The removal men said they hated moving Teachers, doctors and vicars.....far too many books.   With family Rheged, they got stuck with me(former teacher who later worked for a book wholesaler)  Madame R  (research botanist and Anglican Lay Minister)  and the books left at home by both sons (both doing a history MA at the time)  They told us most people had a hundredweight or so of books............we had well over a ton!!

I agree with Chris; you make good start and then find a volume you'd forgotten about,         and that's you "OUT"  for some time.

;D ;D ;D

Yep, quite agree.
I also have much the same problem when trying to sort out kits - recalling the original plans, changing my mind and making all new notes, drooling and fondling plastic... and there's the end of the day!

Pellson

Mostly through the books by now. I shan't lie it's a relief not having to navigate the obstacles of book piles when moving through the home. Next "must" will be to clear my desk space again. It seem to selfgenerate stuff on that desk when I'm not constantly watching it, so after almost a month without any significant construction, it's a mess again. There's always something to do before you get to what you really were after, isn't it?

But as the library now is tidy and orderly, I feel that I can at least allow me a few hours to reclaim our old and oh, so lovely reading chair and just watch the shelves for a bit. It's a calming place (when in order) and I really like just hanging out there with a proper cuppa and either a book or a tablet, doing nothing useful.

The weather here is currently as British as my tea habits, but as the ground water levels really never have recovered fully from the drought three years ago, it's probably for the best. While I'm not that bothered by the rain (I'm properly furnished with oilskins) the dog, a mini schnauzer, isn't an all weather dog at all. He really loathes getting wet and sends me a pretty poisonous glances every time I kick him out for a walk. But walk he will, if nothing else because despite him having a cats love for water, he will not be allowed a litter box indoors.

Right. I wonder what I'll build next. And for how long the desk will stay reasonably ordered this time..

Dizzyfugu

What helps me a lot is a simple ideas/project list - more or less spontaneous ideas that triggered building interest. This support procurement, too, and when I sometimes do nor knwo what to tacklenext I simply go thorugh the list and check if it either stirs some motivation and/or if some hardware is (already) available. This works well for me, I just used it to select my next project which has been lingering on the list and in the back of my mind for some years.

Pellson

More than a month now without even touching any tools. Well, such things happen, and I'll get back in the saddle sooner or later. It's really helping looking at your stuff, though, so keep it coming!

Pellson

Still not much modelling, but I have been exercising my tool skills nevertheless, having had to replace the drop arm link on the Defender. Outside. In Scandinavia. On the ground. Not fun.

Or - actually - it was a bit fun after all. It's supposed to be a dog of a job, in particular clamping up the joint after reassembly, allowing the spring clip to be inserted in its slot properly. That part went really well, though, and as always when you perform better than expected, there is a warm and somewhat fuzzy feeling of joy and comfort, despite 4 deg C rain trickling down your collar while lying under a ridiculously dirty car.
Sadly, however, it seems as the joint ball seat you press into the drop arm just won't sit tight. Probably, the arm itself is worn, or something, rendering the entire effort pointless and necessitating a full drop arm replacement.  :banghead:

But we'll see. I shall investigate further first.

Yesterday evening while watching the telly, I just sat playing a bit with that almost ready Meteor PR.9A. Maybe I should sort the detail painting that's left, decal it up and get it done. It isn't that much work, really..

TheChronicOne

Hang tight! I'm confident that soon both the time and motivation will intersect and you'll hit that "Sweet Spot" and all will be right in the model building world once again.  :mellow:

I definitely sympathize, though.... I've had the same going on lately. Too much work to do and even when I find myself sitting back to relax a bit, I still seem drained. At some points either a bit more free time or a bit more energy present themselves....... but getting them together the same time in the same room sitting at the same dinner table?  :o 
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

I have the same dilemma, I'm supposed to be moving into my new council flat but the date keeps moving towards December. Do I pack them up and just finish one or leave it until I get further confirmation.

Pellson

Now, this has been a somewhat neglected thread. As have my models, btw. But life has intervened as it often does. Work, gardening, Christmas decorating and what not. And lastly, but not leastly, the yearly big x-ray screening, featuring radioactive isotope injection etc. Waiting on that result isn't really improving the mojo, but I should have it before Christmas. Maybe it'll loosen up then, and the lust will return.
Accordingly, the Meteor PR.9A is still undecalled as well as its details unpainted. That said, should i just get to it, it's less that two days worth of work. But currently, my work space is overcrowded (again) so i'll need a thorough clean-out of the table to get going again. Ah, well..

However, the old Thin Wing Javelin has surfaced again, but it still needs some reworking to fit the weapons. In that process, as usual, I handle the model a lot, watching it from different angles, trying to decide how to get to that desired look, often comparing to photos of real, more or less related aircraft. And doing that, I came across this shot:

Looking at that, the Javelin for once actually looks really good, and I really got a lust for building another one. One that will be closer to the original FAW.9 version, but maybe featuring a less clumsy and somewhat more supersonic wing. I'm not looking for Phantomesque performance, but maybe an ability to reach a sustained Mach 1,5 with full afterburner, or something. Just making the Javelin more viable through the late sixties. Or something.
Looking through the stashTM list, however, there is an annoying lack of Javelins. Bollocks..
Ah, well.. Sooner or later I might find one.

TheChronicOne

That does look really good... a good angle on the aircraft. Love the paint job on that one, too......     As for the kit, they have funny ways of winding up where they need to eventually....  "The thrill of the hunt! "   :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Start with a T3, they look so much better with the longer nose.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2021, 12:40:23 AM
Start with a T3, they look so much better with the longer nose.

Agree. And I have one, but I need the FAW canopy. That canopy is so much of the Javelins esprit.