Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Pellson on March 16, 2022, 08:11:08 AM
PSR is also a way of life.. 

You just have to see and accept the zen in it!  ;)

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 18, 2022, 01:06:03 AM
Quote from: Pellson on March 16, 2022, 08:11:08 AM
PSR is also a way of life.. 

You just have to see and accept the zen in it!  ;)

It's not really in line with my personality - I positively hate sushi, see... ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

It's been a couple of rather busy days and tomorrow looks even worse. Hence, the only modelling progress has been sorting the final paint in the cockpit and glueing the canopy to the Stratofortress. A small feat, by all means, but as it does complete the profile of the BUFF, I'm still a bit pleased.
Despite this, I havent really decided on antennae etc. Or even the tailgun. While there certainly always is a bonus not to add delicate parts prone to being broken, and further, as the tail gun actually WAS removed IRL quite a few years ago, I still kind of like it. It is rather cool, and it should, if set up properly, be able to work much like an airborne Phalanx CIWS. The solution would probably be to armour the damned thing by drilling it out, inserting a metal rod that'll make it less vulnerable. Got to look through the drill bits available locally, I think..

Anyway - I'm still quite nuclear inspired, and that's probably due to the absolutely monumental prick in Moscow. In a sense, it does feel a bit good to draw something positive out of this rape of the free world, despite all odds. And who would have known that Death could look so beautiful..

Photo taken by the Italian Air Force last week over the Italian Alps

zenrat

That's not Death mate, that's just its horse.

It is a beautiful skyscape though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on March 19, 2022, 03:29:50 AM
That's not Death mate, that's just its horse.

Doesn't look like Binky to me! :unsure: :angel:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Pellson

Having reinforced the tail gun with a 1,5mm thick steel rod, the final original piece is now attached to the Stratofortress. While I haven't any illusions about the gun being able to withstand very much violence, at least it will be a little more resistant to manipulation.
By that, I now have to decide whether to leave it as is or to do a once over with putty. And whether to add those bulges and thingys the BUFFs got since the turn of the century. Or if just to be lazy and paint. Which in itself is a bit of a chore. The bloody thing is huge!

The German sisters haven't gotten any attention lately, but it seems as if I'm to move back home, finally, in a few days. There's less table space there, so I'll probably just save the Tornadoes until then.

We'll - tomorrow's another day, and a work day too. Better kip then..

scooter

Quote from: Pellson on March 21, 2022, 02:30:51 PM
Having reinforced the tail gun with a 1,5mm Or if just to be lazy and paint. Which in itself is a bit of a chore. The bloody thing is huge!

Rattle cans
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rick Lowe

Quote from: scooter on March 21, 2022, 03:11:20 PM
Quote from: Pellson on March 21, 2022, 02:30:51 PM
Having reinforced the tail gun with a 1,5mm Or if just to be lazy and paint. Which in itself is a bit of a chore. The bloody thing is huge!

Rattle cans

Yup! And you may well find the primer grey is approximately the right shade, too - I've had that flukeinstance happen once or twice and they're still warm memories.
(It's a bit sad what keeps me happy, these days... but 'Little Victories', as the song says.)

Pellson

Rattle can? Nah - I'm a bit conservative there, sticking to my hairy sticks, methinks. And as it isn't going to be all over grey anyway, I'm saving myself a lot of masking.
This is the camouflage I'm aiming for.

And yeah, I'm aware that the time period where this camo was used doesn't align with the new antennae etc I'm contemplating, but this is whif, and that means that I can allow myself almost anything. And all over one colour grey is DULL!!  ;)

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Pellson on March 22, 2022, 03:28:36 AM
Rattle can? Nah - I'm a bit conservative there, sticking to my hairy sticks, methinks.
And all over one colour grey is DULL!!  ;)

Yup, fair enough - hope you have a big enough brush... maybe one intended for putting glue on wallpaper sheets?  ;D

And as for Dull, Boring Greys - ask me why I don't tend to make very many modern jets...  :banghead:

Pellson

Lovely sunny day, but a bit too much work. Annoying. I could readily accept half the pay if I could retire now..
Took a walk with a friend in the afternoon, exploring some new terrain. Almost 10,5 km/6,5 miles. A good walk, mainly on small gravel roads and tracks, but also a bit through rough terrain. Good exercise for this grumpy old fart, it was. We passed an old cottage I visited some 25 years ago together with an old girlfriend. Her mother was a geneaologist and had a friend with some background in that place. Back then, it was a somewhat scruffy summerhouse, but now totally derelict, the roof holed and broken. It's sad to see. It is a beautiful spot in the evening sun and if taken care of, the cottage could have been a very nice summer house for someone. Too late now though.

I've puttied the first layer on the BUFF, but there will be several as my Tamiya putty is a bit smooth-flowing and doesn't build up too well. On the other hand - it does attach brilliantly and is very nice to sand, so it could be worse. I still have no idea where to store/display the BUFF once complete, but for now, I don't care. It's a nice project and it grows on me.
A spin off is that I have realised I'll have to refurbish the old Monogram Bone as well. The colours are pretty wrong and the decals have dried and are falling off. It does seem a bit difficult to source new ones, though, but given some time, I think I'll find something somewhere.

The Hustler is going nowhere for the time being. I still can't make my mind up on the engine pods. The easiest way would obviously be to just don't bother, but the size/shape mistake IS really glaring when you are aware of it. It's a bit like building something in 1/80 and then pretend it's 1/72, displaying it together with other 1/72 models. On the other hand - God knows the BUFF's engines aren't perfectly represented in my kit either.
Well - we'll see. If something else doesn't catch my attention and diverts my focus. Beiing a lust driven modeller, I have long ago ceased to try to complete everything I start before starting something else. Rather, I follow my inspiration, resulting in an ever growing Shelf of DoomTM. But you could fare worse than that..

For the SAC Euro One camo, I just feel another piece of inspiration could do, but this time an FB-111A out of Pease AFB. I have one of those as well, in the form of Hasegawas lovely kit, but let's not get carried away, shall we?

PR19_Kit

That FB-111 looks like it should have been part of the Royal Danish Air Force.

Just a few heat affected areas around the jet pipe and it's there.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on March 23, 2022, 12:22:23 PM
Lovely sunny day, but a bit too much work. Annoying. I could readily accept half the pay if I could retire now..

I was very lucky and managed to retire at 55 on a bloody good pension, one of the best things I ever did. But I was one of that lucky generation who had a exceptional company pension scheme and who fell into the age bracket that they were trying to get rid of. All changed now though. My advice to people has always been to get out as soon as you can afford to providing you have something to do and are not just going to loaf around.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 24, 2022, 06:31:48 AM
My advice to people has always been to get out as soon as you can afford to providing you have something to do and are not just going to loaf around.

That really is the key. I started planning about what I wanted to do in my retirement years before the date. I retired 2 years ago (also with a great pension) and it's been fantastic! There are days and weeks where I've been busier than when i was working... only I'm "working" for myself now.