Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 26, 2022, 02:07:41 AM
Quote from: Pellson on June 25, 2022, 04:07:25 PM
What a weekend this is! Midsummer! And the light! Even now, at solar midnight, there's a blueish light with an orange streak on the northern horizon. And you can just see enough, even at this age, to safely wander about in the unlit terrain.
The nature is at its peak, everything lush, green and fertile, and there's no end to the folklore magic going around on these nights.

I was lucky enough to spend Midsummer in the Arctic Circle a few good few years ago and the light was such that you simply lost track of the time. Although it might have been the beer  ;). Never seen a sky or light like it.
It doesn't really get dark a bit further south either: the sun is so near below the horizon.

Rheged

What a weekend this is! Midsummer! And the light! Even now, at solar midnight, there's a blueish light with an orange streak on the northern horizon. And you can just see enough, even at this age, to safely wander about in the unlit terrain.
The nature is at its peak, everything lush, green and fertile, and there's no end to the folklore magic going around on these nights.

I was lucky enough to spend Midsummer in the Arctic Circle a few good few years ago and the light was such that you simply lost track of the time. Although it might have been the beer  ;). Never seen a sky or light like it.

I agree that midsummer in the far north is an experience to be savoured!!

Nearest I've come to midnight sun is Orkney in late June.  Bridget and I have memories of taking photos of each other by available light at half past three in the morning.   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on June 26, 2022, 08:54:57 AM

I agree that midsummer in the far north is an experience to be savoured!!

Nearest I've come to midnight sun is Orkney in late June.  Bridget and I have memories of taking photos of each other by available light at half past three in the morning.

Iceland, summer of '92.  Quite an experience for a young, 19 year old USAF cop sitting on the flightline.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Tromso University one summer in the mid 80s.

It was quite easy to repair their hydraulics in the middle of the night so I could catch the early flight the next morning. Total madness!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: perttime on June 26, 2022, 02:29:00 AM

It doesn't really get dark a bit further south either: the sun is so near below the horizon.

Very much so. I completely lost track of time on an Alaskan cruise once.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

This afternoon, the tropical weather finally gave in to a stormfront from the southwest. Accompanied by some pretty scenic thunderstorms and the occasional heavy rainshower, some cooler air swept in and freshened the atmosphere up significantly. Annoyingly, the weather shift also gave me a bit of a headache, so I'm not quite in modelling mood despite the more modelling friendly environment suddenly bestowed upon us. But there will be more days. And until then, I can continue to get inspired by your work and ideas. Today, Lees German Lightning really kicked my brain too. Looking much forward to see that in the flesh.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

Looking at the date of the previous post, it's apparently been a few weeks. Strangely, it doesn't quite seem that way as the weeks in question have been very busy indeed. Even annoyingly busy, I might say. Lots of work, too little energy, cars (yes, several of them) breaking down and installations to be made at our premises requiring not only supervision but also preparatory works and not a little project management. As it stands now, most is sorted but there's still a noticeable backlog that looks as if it will keep yours truly busy at least over the first half of next week as well. So no modelling in sight. And Christ knows it drains me enough to ensure early evenings..  :-\

On the other hand, I might have made a few "investments" in 2nd hand kits that should be arriving any day soon, so there's light in the tunnel. I buy kits. Therefore, I am..  ;)

Old Wombat

Quote from: Pellson on July 13, 2022, 08:55:25 AM
I buy kits. Therefore, I am..  ;)

Oh, brother, do I know that feeling! :angel:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

It's not a substitute for building them,  but it helps.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2022, 05:17:48 AM

Yup, sometimes just opening a box and dreaming of what you can do with the contents can be quite relaxing
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 14, 2022, 05:49:56 AM

Yup, sometimes just opening a box and dreaming of what you can do with the contents can be quite relaxing

Concur!  :thumbsup:

Though it can also lead to starting more models... "I'll just make a start on some basic prep work... wait, it's finished?!"

Pellson

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 15, 2022, 03:38:43 PM

Though it can also lead to starting more models... "I'll just make a start on some basic prep work... wait, it's finished?!"

Finished?! That never happens to me. Rather the Shelf of DoomTM seems to be in a state of infinite expansion.. :rolleyes:

The looking-at-sprues part is probably 75% of my modelling hobby, I have to admit. But I'm fine with that. It keeps me happy.  :angel:

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on July 16, 2022, 02:15:36 AM

The looking-at-sprues part is probably 75% of my modelling hobby, I have to admit. But I'm fine with that. It keeps me happy.  :angel:

Now't wrong with that  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Finished?! That never happens to me. Rather the Shelf of DoomTM seems to be in a state of infinite expansion.. :rolleyes:

For a given value of 'Finished', of course... it's usually to the 'to be painted' stage for me...

kerick

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 17, 2022, 10:30:59 PM

For a given value of 'Finished', of course... it's usually to the 'to be painted' stage for me...

I love looking kits over, I love building, painting is the big challenge.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise