Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Dear Mr Kerick - we are apparently two of a kind. The Shelf of DoomTM is somewhat lacking in colour, I have to admit. Then again, my decalling mojo is even worse, I'm afraid..

Out at the archipelagean cottage for the time being, and a good thing that is, given the fact that we're having the remnants of the Big European Heatwave tomorrow. 34-37 C, they say. Here, right by the Baltic Sea. While I've seen some 30+ days over the years, I can't remember any temperatures over 33 degrees here. And that was quite painful in its own right, so a few more degrees on top of that isn't really what I'd choose, if I could. But, as everyone else, I'll just have to live with it, and I believe our strategy will be to find a nice, smooth rock on some skerry, just by the water, with trees shadowing away the worst, and then I'll sit there in my quite comfy foldable chair, long sleeves and legs against the sun (linen is the thing, really) rounding it off with an ugly but purposeful hat. And if it does get too warm, the sea is just about 20 degrees as we stand. A dip or two will take care of any overheating issues, I'm sure.

Fairweather summer days aren't really triggering any modelling for me, but as that seems to be a bit of a universal thing here in Sweden, the 2nd hand kit market does seem to dip a bit during the summer, resulting in bargain time deluxe on Ebay, if you know what to look for. Given the almost unreal sense of joy I experienced when unpacking the latest haul after the early summer hiatus, it's increasingly difficult to stay cool enough to actually only make those bargains, and not just go full bananas, buying anything remotely interesting just because I can. The flesh is weak..

Now - catching up on some old TV series on the streaming services before trying to get some kip in anticipation of the heat tomorrow

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on July 20, 2022, 12:19:16 PM
And if it does get too warm, the sea is just about 20 degrees as we stand. A dip or two will take care of any overheating issues, I'm sure.

Interesting, I was going to ask what the sea temperature was.

Take care  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Another unproductive week gone by, you'd think? Not so much, even if no plastic has been touched.
Rather, the seemingly never ending Land Rover breakdowns is taking up most of my time and energy these days. Having made an emergency switch of propshafts to at least having one car in service, that same car came down with a severe case of exhaust manifold warp. Not an issue unheard of, in particular as the car in question is properly tuned which indeed does increase the risk of such warping, but still an annoying breakdown at a time when there's already been too much time and money thrown on the mud buses.
Ah, well. There's nothing else to it than getting it sorted, and as the manifolds tend to stick to their bolts like cast in one, I took the opportunity to nudge the now annoyingly loud car across Sweden to get some help from a friend. Thursday morning I started from home, and by lunch I was there. And at four thirty in the afternoon, that warped manifold was out, despite us having to glow heat eleven out of thirteen nuts to get them loose. But not one single one broke, and that's a significant achievement if I may say so myself.

Having had a look at the appropriate parts of the interwebz, I decided to modify the new (used but straight) manifold hoping to delay or, God willing, even prohibit that one to warp too. Accordingly, half an hour was spent cutting, grinding and brushing said manifold after which we called it a day, resorting to a better curry and a beer or two.

Friday morning, back in the saddle, reassembling the bloody engine, but already at one, we were done. Test driving it, it was unrealistically quiet (if that at all can be said about a Defender) and I took on a proper tidying of my friend's workshop in return for the assistance.

At three, my brother arrived, having driven his sons Mazda Miata mk 1 from Stockholm to Gothenburg with roof down. Having settled in, he joined us for the Friday recap of yesterday's curry-and-beer session, and later in the evening, we went in town for the Rammstein concert.
Those of you knowing Rammstein know that it definitely is an arena band if there ever was one. In 2 1/2 hours, they burned twice as much diesel as I do in ten years in the Defenders, and you love every minute of it. I'd guess about 50000 in the audience, and it's intense, hot and LOUD!! (It didn't get less hot when they played their song "Dicke Titten" [no need to translate that, is there?  ;)] and a substantial number of said audience very openly proved their ownership of said assets :rolleyes:)

Back at my friends for a short kip just after midnight, and then on to Saturday

..that started reasonably early, everyone leaving after breakfast. My friend to go camping and me and my brother returning eastwards, but not before visiting another friend, who, like my brother, is a sports car fan. He absolutely demanded to show us a "very amusing road indeed", something that, obviously totally unexpectedly  :rolleyes: , turned out to be two Miatas going flat out on the curvy road, followed by one short Defender, resorting to every trick in the book to try to keep up. Including short cutting bends at the cost of minor signs and less sturdy letterboxes. I might want to stay out of that road for a while, at least with the Defender..  :angel:

Five hours later and ten miles from home, yet another universal joint decided to give up, so the final hour home was very smooth driving indeed. And once home, all energy spent during the week caught up, me crashing at nine.
Sunday was spent feeling a bit queasy, topped off by a proper fever during the night, but having tested negative tor the plague, I would guess either another germ caught at the concert or, more likely, my system issuing a stern warning against spending similar amounts of energy at that short time again. Being a nice boy, I'm obeying, spending today mostly in the sofa with a nice cuppa. And the new UJ's arrived today (that breakdown was anticipated) so as soon as I'm back on track, I'll replace it.

So, what about the plastic, you may wonder? Well - apart from some fondling of recent acquisitions, not much. But there'll be rainy days to come.. 

zenrat

I've had bikes like that.  You fix one bit and while thrash-testing it another bit lets go.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Feeling worse today, but getting some routine on countering the onset of fever chills - they weren't that protracted tonight, likely due to judicious application of padding and external heat.

Other than that, I've slept most of the day, something you're supposed to do when I'll, my oncologist tells me. Unfortunately, it's bloody boring.

We'll - another day tomorrow. Let's hope for some improvement.

Old Wombat

Sleep is extremely important, especially when you're ill or healing, as that's when your body can divert energy away from keeping you doing things to repairing any damage that requires its attention.

Sleep long & prosper! ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 02, 2022, 07:50:29 PM
Sleep is extremely important, especially when you're ill or healing, as that's when your body can divert energy away from keeping you doing things to repairing any damage that requires its attention.

Exactly, if your body goes to sleep it tends to be because it needs it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 03, 2022, 05:40:36 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 02, 2022, 07:50:29 PM

Exactly, if your body goes to sleep it tends to be because it needs it  :thumbsup:

It's still bloody boring though.  :rolleyes:

Had a much better day today. No real symptoms and energy enough to actually disassemble the suspect propshaft despite not being able to really find anything but the slightest of slight looseness in it, and that only under rather harsh wiggling. But - test driving without it (lock the center differential and Bob's your 2WD Defender) revealed all vibrations gone.
I'm getting a press tool tomorrow to be able to get the new UJ's in.. That on condition that the fever doesn't reappear tonight, of course, but so far, so good. And it's already tomorrow where I am, technically.

...which in itself is a good reason to shut this thing down and get some kip. I have already treated myself to the most interesting updates here, so I think I'm good, actually..  ;)

NARSES2

Hope things continue to signs of improvement  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Me and my better half took a trip a few weeks ago and we stayed at a small hostel near the Portuguese/Spanish border.
Seems the owner is a Land Rover lover. Right beside the house, there was a pair of oldies that he restored. I just don't understand why they're parked outdoors and there isn't much protection from the elements other than a shade... :-\

Anyway, i remembered you were into Land Rovers so i got these pics for you. Hope you like them. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

Lovely pics of lovely cars!  :wub:

I've considered soft-topping the short Defender (easy job, really), but as I'm a bit too sensitive for sunlight, it's probably a better idea not to. Also, as I do use the cars all year round, it's likely for the better to keep the car winterised.

Spending the weekend on an island in the archipelago together with friends and too much beer. Hence no modelling nor working on cars. Really nice actually not doing anything, just fuzzing about and chatting in the sun.

NARSES2

Quote from: Pellson on August 07, 2022, 01:53:30 AM

Spending the weekend on an island in the archipelago together with friends and too much beer. Hence no modelling nor working on cars. Really nice actually not doing anything, just fuzzing about and chatting in the sun.

Yup time with friends can be the vey best  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Enjoy :cheers:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Pellson on August 07, 2022, 01:53:30 AM
Lovely pics of lovely cars!  :wub:

I've considered soft-topping the short Defender (easy job, really), but as I'm a bit too sensitive for sunlight, it's probably a better idea not to. Also, as I do use the cars all year round, it's likely for the better to keep the car winterised.

Glad you like them! And relaxing is always a good thing to do, have fun, mate! :mellow: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Pellson

Well, the old Defenders are still playing up, or rather - I haven't managed to source parts enough to fix them.. :-\
Well, I'll get there, likely next week, and until then, at least one of them runs, if only FWD. But until then, we're focusing on making the most of the final days of the kids summer holidays, spending it in tranquility in the archipelago. Warm winds, ice cream, open air Defender touring and no particular chores - it could be worse..

Also taking the opportunity to stock up on my coming (or at least planned, but we know where such plans may end) NATO spree, bidding on some old Italeri Tornados. I'm well aware of their deficiencies, but I have a few already and I don't want to start from the beginning again, so I'm stiking with them. They're Tornados enough for me. At the time of writing, it is looking good/cheap, and I think I'll be set for a rainy evening or two.