Pellsons Perceivings

Started by Pellson, December 27, 2016, 04:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 06, 2022, 09:13:31 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2022, 12:49:51 AMI use Windsor and Newton Galleria as my matt coat by the way.

That the stuff that goes on white and dries clear? I have a bottle in stock but haven't used it much as yet.

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2022, 12:49:51 AMEspecially when you consider how males/females view colours !

How many shades of 'white' can anyone really see? I mean, really? :banghead:

Well there's clean, dirty, grubby, smudged...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on October 07, 2022, 03:07:13 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2022, 12:49:51 AMI use Windsor and Newton Galleria as my matt coat by the way.

That the stuff that goes on white and dries clear? I have a bottle in stock but haven't used it much as yet.

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2022, 12:49:51 AMEspecially when you consider how males/females view colours !

How many shades of 'white' can anyone really see? I mean, really? :banghead:

Well there's clean, dirty, grubby, smudged...

And "off". ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Finally done with work for this week! Crashing in the sofa with tea and yet another Britcrime on the telly, one can't help but mulling over the very annoying enamels indeed, and how to restart any mojo left. For now, I think I will have to leave the Norm 81 fighters to one side, rather getting on with something that can be brought to an end.

The obvious front runners are the Norm 83 strike aircraft. There's a recce Phantom to refurbish, an Alphajet to touch up and that old Thunderstreak I build earlier this year but that I never got around to paint.
And then there's the original old Italeri Tornado, MW-1 munitions dispenser and all. But the stabilator angles were all over the place, as were the pylon angles, so rather than just repainting it, I chose to sort these issues while at it, and now it's aligned, prepared for repainting and ready to go. Having being told by the significantly better looking part of the family that she's decided not to go to the cottage this weekend, rather sorting some garden stuff at home, there might be a chance to actually get something done during the weekend. God willing.

And while at the German topic, I just for fun googled "Luftwaffe" and "whatif", finding loads of inspiration. A Luftwaffe Harrier being one of them. Rather an obvious choice, if you think at it. I mean - who else should have had a more acute need for one than the country expecting to be half overrun?
Also some interesting French and American contenders, and lo and behold - a German SAAB Draken. Well - if the Danes could order a strike Draken, then why couldn't Luftwaffe have ordered a multirole variant?

If this comes to fruition, it'll dig a substantial hole in my already allocated stash. On the other hand - that's what the stash is there fore.. 

Now bed. Damn, these evenings pass quickly..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

In the bottle it has a very opaque look, but I brush paint it Rick and providing you shake the bottle enough it goes on clear'ish, but dries perfectly clear.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2022, 05:48:29 AM

In the bottle it has a very opaque look, but I brush paint it Rick and providing you shake the bottle enough it goes on clear'ish, but dries perfectly clear.

Yeah, I actually looked at the bottle I have and it's Reeves brand...  :banghead:
Yup I brush too, and it seems to do the job - well, it tones any shine down, but not completely to matt... maybe I don't use enough.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 09, 2022, 09:22:25 PMYeah, I actually looked at the bottle I have and it's Reeves brand...  :banghead:
Yup I brush too, and it seems to do the job - well, it tones any shine down, but not completely to matt... maybe I don't use enough.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but use a couple of thin coats rather than a thicker one. With the Windsor and Newton you can get a semi matt finish with a single coat and be tempted to use a thicker one which causes problems, but two thin coats gives you a nice matt finish.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 10, 2022, 05:56:31 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 09, 2022, 09:22:25 PMYeah, I actually looked at the bottle I have and it's Reeves brand...  :banghead:

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but use a couple of thin coats rather than a thicker one. With the Windsor and Newton you can get a semi matt finish with a single coat and be tempted to use a thicker one which causes problems, but two thin coats gives you a nice matt finish.

. How durable is that W&N-coating for handling? I find it differs a lot.

Pellson

Supposed to travel to Finland tomorrow, but not feeling 100% tonight, so we'll see. Today, loads of work and then preps to see the better half through my absence. No modelling by far, naturally.

If I feel equally crappy tomorrow, though, then it'll be modelling, because then I'm unplanned for three full days!

Steel Penguin

with any form if matt varnish, i tend to favour the wargamers approach,  get a good coat of gloss varnish, on as a protective coat. then a light coat of matt to remove the shine,  if for display end of story,  if the items being handled, when you start to get glossy part on the handled areas, time to re-matt varnish  :thumbsup:   ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 10, 2022, 05:56:31 AMApologies if I'm stating the obvious, but use a couple of thin coats rather than a thicker one. With the Windsor and Newton you can get a semi matt finish with a single coat and be tempted to use a thicker one which causes problems, but two thin coats gives you a nice matt finish.

It never hurts to have a reminder... I tend to keep doing the same thing over again - ("Oh bother, that's right - that was the mistake I made last time, too.")

SP, that's a really good rule of thumb re the shiny bits being the 'canary in the mine', as it were.  :thumbsup:

Pellson

A reasonably good night's sleep and two paracetamols later, at the airport now, having driven for about 2 1/2 hours to get here. And I'm surprisingly lost! It's simply been too long since I last flew anywhere, and for me, once having gold cards in three different airline systems simultaneously, the feeling of not knowing where to go or what to do is quite annoying. I'm getting old, I suppose.. 

You cannot view this attachment.

And no modelling for the entire week..  :-\

We'll - on the upside, it'll be good to revisit Helsinki. It's a beautiful place, if somewhat hard to "get in to" as Finns in my experience tend to be even harder to lock up than Swedes. And we're a grumpy lot, I tell ya..

Here comes the aircraft. Hmm..  an Embraer with a fuselage diameter forcing a normally grown man to crawl onboard. Bugger..

NARSES2

. How durable is that W&N-coating for handling? I find it differs a lot.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. The matt coat is almost the last thing I do. Propellers and wheels may come after it's applied, but after I've done the photographs then there is very little handling so I've not had to many problems.

When I was wargaming most of my figures were based by unit and I've actually started to use bases for a lot of my models, small tea/coffee coasters with scenic scatter, and I find that cuts down on handling even for those not permanently attached (some nose wheel types with no room for ballast are glued to the base)

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on October 11, 2022, 06:09:04 AMHere comes the aircraft. Hmm..  an Embraer with a fuselage diameter forcing a normally grown man to crawl onboard. Bugger..

As about half of you already have spotted, it was a Bombardier CRJ. Another sign of my age and decay, I suppose. Once upon a time, when fighters had real jet engines rather than these hot air fans they use these days, I was well able to tell the four active Swedish Air Force types apart by noise. Oh, those were the days..

Rheged

Delighted to read that you felt well enough to travel.       As to crawling on board passenger aircraft, Loganair Islanders between the Orkney islands are "fun" to get in and out of, especially if you are either over five foot nine  or (in the case of on Orcadian gentleman on my last flight there)  in excess of nineteen stone!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dr. Griffin

You sure like the Norm 81. Actually it's the first time I've heard about them. Thanks for showing.