My library just grew again 2017

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2016, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I read and re-read my fave books time after time. I could almost recite Tom Clancy's 'The Hunt for Red October' word for word by now.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Nothing wrong with that - I like re-reading old favourites.

My father would never re-read a book - "You've read it once, you don't need to read it again." Still can't quite understand that.
Ah well, diff'rent strokes.

I do find that after a steady diet of the latest multi-thread, multi-layer thrillers that someone like Alister MacLean can seem a bit simplistic by comparison.
But then, sometimes simple and easy fits the bill nicely.

zenrat

My father won't read fiction.
The only exceptions being Tolkein and Catch22.
Oh, and George Adamski, but at the time he thought it was non fiction.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Yup I can re-read favourite books again and again. Must have read the Skylark and Lensman series 3 or 4 times and am going through my Discworld collection again at the moment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

I bought a copy of the Warpaint Series No.34 ' Avro Lincoln'. By Tony Buttler.
If you thought the Lincoln was just a long range bomber then think again, the engineers and design teams had a field day testing out their What-ifs.
Yes they were up against the new jet bombers but that didn't stop them from bolting on a few of their own, the latest turboprop engines were also tested.
Photos and artwork, plus line drawings makes the Lincoln a worthwhile build.

Hobbes

Finally arrived today:
BSP 1 (new edition)
On Atlas' shoulders

I (pre)ordered these in 2016 from Crecy direct, expecting to get them mid-2017 when BSP 1 was released. But the release date came and went with no package and no notification.
I called them last Thursday, to ask why the order had been left to languish for 3 months. Turns out, they had underestimated the shipping cost and as a result the order wasn't paid in full.  :rolleyes:
Once that was rectified, shipping was quick. But I'm not happy they decided to not notify me about the change in cost (or the changes in schedule, for that matter), despite having my email address on file.

PR19_Kit

Hmm, what don't they understand about the terms 'Customer Service'?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I need to get a new copy of Orwell's 1984 - just gave my old one to one of the lads at work who wants to improve his English (he's Romanian).
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

I did visit a belgian IPMS Model Show in Affligem saturday, found the usual british aviation bookshop that does all the belgian and dutch shows (never remember his name) and grabbed as usual a lot of items from his half price shelves.  ;D
"From the cockpit" and "Warpaint" were 3 euro each!  ;D ;D
L'aviation francaise de bombardement et de renseignement
Saab aircraft since 1937
The Bristol 170
Red Stars 6 Aeroflot origins (had been looking for this since years and never seen one! Discovered that the publisher is finnish, but happily the book is in english)
Japanese experimental transport aircraft of the pacific war
From the cockpit 14 Swift
From the cockpit 9 Attacker
From the cockpit 10 Swordfish
Warpaint 81 Junkers Ju 52
Warpaint 71 Armstrong Whitworth Argosy
Warpaint 98 Avro York

From another seller, always at reduced price:
Tankograd Militarfahrzeug. Spl 5026 Panzerhaubitze der Bundeswehr
Tankograd American Spl 3028 Besatzungtruppe US Army 1945-1955
Tankograd TM 6031  Dodge 3/4 ton WC-51 & WC-52 weapons carrier
Tankograd TM 6021  US M8 light armoured car M20 armored utility car
Tankograd TM 6029 Ward Lafrance & Kenworth M1 & M1A1 heavy wreckers

And on the road, in a second hand bookshop, bought this, nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price:
Les Hydravions de la Luftwaffe. Vol. 3

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 16, 2017, 02:44:01 AM
Hmm, what don't they understand about the terms 'Customer Service'?

They don't understand the same thing the people who say "i'll call you when it comes in" and then don't don't understand.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 16, 2017, 03:28:48 AM
I need to get a new copy of Orwell's 1984 - just gave my old one to one of the lads at work who wants to improve his English (he's Romanian).

Doubleplusgood  :thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

From my local bookshop " Ring of Steel - Germany and Austro-Hungary at War 1914-1918"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Neal Asher's latest Polity novel "Infinity Engine".
Space Opera on a grand scale.
I am having trouble putting it down.
Fred

Gondor

From the Glasgow show today

Osprey Air Combat Douglas A-1 Skyraider (Card back copy)
Osprey Air Combat Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (Hardback copy)

Both second hand and both in good nick and for a good price too  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Hobbes

Transatlantic betrayal - the RB.211 and the demise of Rolls Royce

NARSES2

Ordered at my local bookshop last week, picked up today  :thumbsup:

Reformation - Europe's House Divided : 1490 to 1700
Reformation - A World in Turmoil