My library just grew again 2017

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2016, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

For those of you that love VTOL aircraft, there's the latest in the edition of Aviation Archive No.30.
It has artwork, line drawings and rare photos of  popular vertical flight aircraft. Priced at £7.95

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 24, 2017, 06:39:31 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 24, 2017, 01:16:36 AM
interesting to get the user's perspective, rather than the modern historian's.

It always is and sometimes quite suprising. It's amazing what the participants actually considered important at the time - usually involving food !

As the Emperor remarked, "an army marches on it's stomach".   Without good, regular rations, armies usually resort to taking from the local population which is never popular.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Been catching up with Michael Portillo's Great American Railway Journey's- Part 2 and apart from making me want to retrace part of the trip it also got me digging around for a starter book on the American - Mexican War after he had a couple of pieces on it whilst in Colarado and New Mexico.

So I've got Osprey's Essential Histories - The Mexican War 1846 - 1848. I find these are good starters on subjects you don't know much about. Not expensive and a good way of discovering if you want to go deeper into the subject.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Peter Hayes: Industry and Ideology: I. G. Farben in the Nazi Era
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

reddfoxx

Finally reading Rogue Heroes, a history of the SAS.  Great stories.

The Wooksta!

On order:

Operation Freshman - Jostein Berglyd
Operation Freshman: The Rjukan heavy water raid - Richard Wiggan
Hunting Hitler's Nukes - Damien Lewis
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

McColm

Delivered today "Beyond the Spitfire" the unseen designs of R.J.Mitchell by Ralph Pegram.
There's loads of line drawings and concept artwork.
As I haven't got stuck into reading it yet, I will give you a review later.

The Wooksta!

From Cooperation to Complicity: Degussa in the Third Reich - Peter Hayes

Goes with his I.G. Farben book I bought a few weeks back and I'm currently reading now.  Managed to get it from Germany at a fifth of the price of the cheapest I could find in the UK.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

loupgarou

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip. I'll be ordering it from Germany too, probably from the same seller as you.
If that's the case, it's a seller I am buying a lot of books recently, good prices and quick delivery.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Wooksta!

It was the Degussa book I got cheap from Germany.  Not sure if he has any left either. 

The Farben book was a lucky find - I got an ex Library one for under a tenner.  It's hard going in places but certainly interesting, if you like backgrounds in evil corporations.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

zenrat

Oh they're all evil mate.  Just some are more evil than others...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

Speaking of evil...

Latest additions:

Icon of Evil - David G Dalin and John F Rothman (about Amin Al-Husseini)
Hitler's Bureaucrats: The Nazi Security Police and teh Banality of Evil - Yacov Lozowitz

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

loupgarou

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 05, 2017, 06:24:07 AM
Speaking of evil...

Latest additions:

Icon of Evil - David G Dalin and John F Rothman (about Amin Al-Husseini)
Hitler's Bureaucrats: The Nazi Security Police and teh Banality of Evil - Yacov Lozowitz

As you're specializing in evil, you could try this too:
King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Rheged

From a rather good second hand bookshop in Ross on Wye, a copy of the Tempus publications  "The Brabazon Committee and British Airliners 1945 to 1960" by  Mike Phipp.  I've just scanned quickly through it  and the main thrust of the argument seems to be that whatever British companies designed, BOAC  and BEA kept changing their requirements to ensure that they could buy US aircraft no matter how helpful UK designers try to be.   It's probably more complex than that, but it's a believable argument. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I've read that same argument elsewhere too, in more than one place as well.

Conspiracy Theories Rule OK............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit