My library just grew again 2017

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2016, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Dropped a couple of bits into my local Marie Curie charity shop this morning and picked up a couple of paperbacks -

Lords of the Horizon - a History of the Ottoman Empire by Jason Goodwin

The Popes - a History by John Julius Norwich
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Received in the post today

Too Little, Too Late. The Campaign in West and South Germany, June-July 1866 for the Princely sum of £4  :thumbsup:

A part of military history that I know nothing about so a book about the time in a sale is hard to resist.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Because it came down to a price I was willing to pay - the cheapest was £70 but then one dropped below £50.  The publishers have it for £90...

The Third Reich's Intelligence Services: The Career of Walter Schellenberg by Katrin Paehler

The publisher's blurb says
"This is the first-ever analytical study of Nazi Germany's political foreign intelligence service, Office VI of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt and its head, Walter Schellenberg. Katrin Paehler tells the story of Schellenberg's career in policing and intelligence, charts the development and activities of the service he eventually headed, and discusses his attempts to place it at the center of Nazi foreign intelligence and foreign policy. The book locates the service in its proper pedigree of the SS as well as in relation to its two main rivals - the Abwehr and the Auswärtige Amt. It also considers the role Nazi ideology played in the conceptualization and execution of foreign intelligence, revealing how this ideological prism fractured and distorted Office VI's view of the world. The book is based on contemporary and postwar documents - many recently declassified - from archives in the United States, Germany, and Russia."

I'm currently reading his memoirs so I may just have to nab the one on his interrogation next...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on April 20, 2017, 10:36:03 AM
Received in the post today

Too Little, Too Late. The Campaign in West and South Germany, June-July 1866 for the Princely sum of £4  :thumbsup:

A part of military history that I know nothing about so a book about the time in a sale is hard to resist.

Gondor

A very important part of European history and one that helped shape the next 80 years or so. Very little known in the U.K. Be interested in your views once you've read it as I've read some works on this period but not this one.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Just nabbed "Hitler's Last Chief of Foreign Intelligence: Allied Interrogations of Walter Schellenberg" by Reinhard R. Doerries to with the Schellenberg book I got earlier. I've a download of it and it whilst it is intriguing, I just can't read books on screen.  I'm terribly old fashioned and must have the proper thing in front of me. 

Again, the price dropped to something I was happy to pay.  The first one I saw a few weeks back was £105!  This one was a more affordable £35.

Also grabbed two books from the charity shop round the corner.  "Titanic: A Survivor's Tale" by Archibald Gracie and "Under the Black Flag" by a Syrian author whose name escapes me now, but it's all about the kill happy death worshipping fascists of ISIS.  I could have got four for a quid, but they only had the two so I was happy to give the wife the quid.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

From a charity shop, and largely because I've loaned mine out:
1984 - George Orwell

I try to read it at least once a year.

From ebay:
Hidden Agenda - Martin Allen (Duke of Windsor's treachery)
Hitler's Gulf War - about Rashid Ali's nazi backed coup in Iraq in 1941

Edit:  I've just remembered I picked up a book at Telford written in the 50s by a member of the RAF who'd flown on operations from Habbaniya against Ali's rebels, but I'm sure the newer book will be a bit more dispassionate and give a bit more balance and wider context.

Also arriving today was "The Venlo Incident" by a guy called Best, who was one of the MI6 gadgies kidnapped by the SS during that operation and his subsequent torture and confessions knacked MI6 in Europe for some time.  The SS guy in charge of the operation? Walter Schellenberg...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

martinbayer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 22, 2017, 10:43:35 AM
From a charity shop, and largely because I've loaned mine out:
1984 - George Orwell

I try to read it at least once a year.

Why reread it if real life offers so many much more compelling examples...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

KiwiZac

At the airshow I went to recently I visited a coffee cart and one of the employees was reading 1984. I said "Why on Earth would you read that? It has absolutely no relevance to our current times!"  :angel:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Hobbes

arrived a while ago, reading now:
Hawker P.1127, Kestrel and Harrier by Tony Buttler
Spaceplane Hermes by Luc van den Abeelen

loupgarou

My latest internet buy is a textbook:
How to Rob a Train by Goody Gordon

Hope will give some useful tips for my future activities.  :wacko:

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Wooksta!

Currently on order:

The Crown and the Swastika - Peter Allen
The Unwritten Order - Peter Longerich
Canaris - Heinz Hohne
Canaris - Andre Brissaud
Hess: Flight for the Fuhrer - Peter Padfield
A Special Mission: Hitlers Secret Plot to Seize the Vatican and Kidnap Pope Pius XII - Dan Kurzman

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Today from the Scottish Nationals

Airframe Album 8 'The de Havilland Hornet & Sea Hornet'
Airframe Album 9 'The Arado Ar 234'

Warpaint Series No.82 'BAC Jet Provost & Strikemaster

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

I just finished reading Japanese Secret Projects 2 by Edwin M Dwyer III.
The aircraft it covers are proposed developments of planes that actually existed, developments of German or American aircraft or four engine bombers.  Nothing really whacky or off the wall (which slightly disappointed me to be honest).  It also addresses a sonic weapon and Japan's nuclear programmes (separate ones for IJN and IJA).
I found the chapter on the nukes particularly interesting as it had never occurred to me that Japan had such programmes.
All in all it's an interesting book from which I will mainly take inspiration for paint schemes (it has colour profiles of some whiff aircraft).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 30, 2017, 03:44:50 AM
I just finished reading Japanese Secret Projects 2 by Edwin M Dwyer III.

It also addresses a sonic weapon and Japan's nuclear programmes (separate ones for IJN and IJA).
I found the chapter on the nukes particularly interesting as it had never occurred to me that Japan had such programmes.

I must admit I've got all of these Secret Projects books (bar the latest on French post war fighters - I'll skip that and wait for one on bombers) and I don't think I've actually read them. I tend to flick/skip through them and then read particular parts when the illustrations grab my attention.

As for the Japanese nuclear programme. Like for a fair few other things the IJA/IJN rivalry was very helpful to the allied cause.

The Wooksta!

I refer the honourable gentlemen to Robert Wilcox - Japan's Secret War

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Books-Comics-Magazines/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Japan%27s+secret+war+wilcox&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

They were getting Uranium from Germany  transported via u-boat.  U-234 that surrendered to the US in May '45 was carrying enriched Uranium intended for Japan's bomb program.  I suggest reading carter Heydrick's "Critical Mass"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: