My library just grew again 2017

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2016, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Walked into The Works this morning and found that they were selling the hardback of Buccaneer Boys by AC Graham Pitchfork for £7 (RRP=£20) so it'd have been rude not to get one.

Then, on a whim, I went into a charity shop which proved to have an exceptionally good 2nd hand book section, and there was Rowland White's Phoenix Squadron (all about Buccaneers) for a measly £2.99... :thumbsup:

Conclusion? either the universe is trying to tell me something, or else Colin Freightdog is sneaking round Stockport trying to give me a reason to buy his Buccaneer correction sets....

The charity shop worked on the buy-two-get-one-free principle, so I also picked up an old copy of Brassey's Fast Attack Craft and a book called The World of Satellites published by Matra Marconi Space Systems themselves. Again, this seemed seredipitous, given that I was having a conversation about satellites at work the other day.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Picked up a copy of 'British Rail - the Nations Railway' by Tanya Jackson at a model railway show today for £1.00!

It was £19.00 when it was newly printed in 2013, and I found to my amazement that it mentions ME!   :o ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 17, 2017, 10:50:07 AM
Picked up a copy of 'British Rail - the Nations Railway' by Tanya Jackson at a model railway show today for £1.00!

It was £19.00 when it was newly printed in 2013, and I found to my amazement that it mentions ME!   :o ;D

Any quotes about the trains needing longer wings??  :rolleyes: ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on June 17, 2017, 01:46:49 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 17, 2017, 10:50:07 AM

Any quotes about the trains needing longer wings??  :rolleyes: ;D

Hehehe, no, and I can't recall mention 'wings' when Ms. Jackson interviewed me either, I must have been slipping.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

There is a flying train concept on YouTube, the wings fold down the sides of the engines when not in use, or detach depends on which version you prefer.

jcf

Paddle Warships: The Earliest Steam Powered Fighting Ships 1815-1850,
D.K. Brown, Conway 1993

:thumbsup:

NARSES2

Looks interesting Jon. I'm especially interested by the start date ; 1815.

I know there were paddle steamers around in that period, but have never thought of them as armed at that date. No reason why not of course and thinking about it it's perfectly logical someone would have done it for service on a lake or river somewhere.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Brown uses 1815 because of Fulton's Demologos, which is considered the first
steam warship.

http://www.basiccarpentrytechniques.com/Technology%202/Fulton%27s%20Steam%20Battery%20Blockship%20and%20Catamaran/Fulton%27s%20Steam%20Battery%20Blockship%20and%20Catamaran.html
(In the text Chapelle mentions, and reproduces drawings of, the Taurus, a British catamaran
design that it seems likely was intended as an oar-powered amphibious assault craft.)

Demologos gets a brief mention before Brown heads into the main emphasis of
book, Admiralty paddle warships, starting with Comet (1821), Lightning &
Meteor (1823). While nominally auxiliaries they were armed and in 1824 Lightning
joined the squadron for an expedition to Algiers, the first deployment of a steam warship
by any navy.

Looks good and is well illustrated with original draughts from the Ship Plans collection at
the National Maritime Museum.
:thumbsup:

loupgarou

I am interested too, but did a quick internet check and while Amazon writes 128 pages, other sellers say 94. What's the truth?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

jcf

94 pages, which is what the US Amazon site description shows.

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Interesting Jon, thank you. I would have guessed Fulton would have had something to do with it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Passchendaele by Lyn Macdonald.

Originally published as They Called it Passchendaele in 1978, this is the 2014 reprint. I thought I'd read all her WWI books but obviously missed this ? At least it's not in the memory or the library. Always liked her books.

100th anniversary of the battle on 31/7/2017. No 2 grandfather having survived the Somme was wounded in this. Spent 9 months recovering and got back to France just in time for Amiens and the advance through to the end.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 30, 2017, 07:48:33 AM

Originally published as They Called it Passchendaele in 1978, this is the 2014 reprint. I thought I'd read all her WWI books but obviously missed this ? At least it's not in the memory or the library. Always liked her books.

She's a reliable historian. I like her work too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on June 30, 2017, 10:50:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 30, 2017, 07:48:33 AM

She's a reliable historian. I like her work too.

Yup. She was one of the first WWI historians, or the first I'd read, who based her work on interviews with the survivors.