My library just grew again 2017

Started by Rheged, December 30, 2016, 01:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Another new "bookazine" from Smiths. This time "The Battle of the Atlantic". Looks very good at first glance
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: McColm on November 17, 2017, 07:37:29 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 17, 2017, 03:26:45 PM
Quote from: Gondor on November 17, 2017, 06:41:25 AM
I received my copy of RAF Secret Jets of Cold War Britain today. I had ordered it pre Telford where I could have easily picked up a copy but as I also bought four other books during my trip it will be a while before I get around to more than flicking through the pages.

Gondor
Mine arrived today too, I had a quick scan through it and tried not to read too much of it as I want to save it for when I go in hospital. There are some very nice articles in there for sure, not something that interests me usually, but I think it will keep me quiet for a couple of days at least
Chris
Got my copy yesterday. Been skimming through it during the night shift. Reminds me of several books that I have read with the best bits taken out and thoroughly researched. The concept artwork is good with plenty of line drawings.
Plenty of whiffs to be built, although best to check with Unicraft first to see if any are in their model catalogue.

Still waiting for this to turn up in Smiths.  I guess from there's no big surprises in it?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on November 25, 2017, 10:54:15 AM

Still waiting for this to turn up in Smiths.  I guess from there's no big surprises in it?

It's in my local branch mate.

No great surprises, but it's still good value and a classic Bookazine in that it's easy to pick up and spend 5 or 25 minutes reading bits and pieces. No need to settle down for a "session" which can be useful especially when travelling.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Cheers Chris, picked it up yesterday.  Yeah, excellent, like you say no great surprises if you have other books on the subject, but gives a lot of detail.

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 26, 2017, 01:26:33 AM
it's easy to pick up and spend 5 or 25 minutes reading bits and pieces. No need to settle down for a "session" which can be useful especially when travelling.

Exactly what I did, rushed into Smith's between buses then had an extended browse through it in the 40 min journey home.  Glad to see there's plenty on my favourite from F.155T, the SR.187.  I've got an idea in my head of the beast lumbering down the runway in a Gerry Anderson kind of way, then bursting into life as the rockets light up and leaping off the runway.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Just got Victor Boys by Tony Blackman on Saturday.

Usual format of the 'boys' books, i.e. anecdotes in roughly chronological order. Havn't got into it properly yet, but it looks like it'll deliver the insights and the occasional chuckle.

It's in The Works for just £7 if you're interested. if anyone wants one and hasn't got a local branch, I'd be happy to pick one up, but SEND ME A PM! Don't just trust to a thread reply.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Was in Newcastle for a couple of days (family bash) and Waterstones provided a couple of additions to the library.

Osprey New Vanguard - Maginot Line Gun Turrets 1880-1940

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser. A memoir of service with the Border Regiment ; 17th Black Cat Division in Burma 1945. And yes if you recognise the name he is the author of Flashman etc.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 13, 2017, 06:18:04 AM
Was in Newcastle for a couple of days (family bash) and Waterstones provided a couple of additions to the library.

Osprey New Vanguard - Maginot Line Gun Turrets 1880-1940

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser. A memoir of service with the Border Regiment ; 17th Black Cat Division in Burma 1945. And yes if you recognise the name he is the author of Flashman etc.

Anything by George MacDonald Fraser will be  extremely well written and well worth reading. His history book "Steel Bonnets " is the best text I've ever come across on the Border Reivers  (Anglo ~Scottish border rivalry 1100 to 1600) My older son's MA covers some of this period and he found the book extremely accurate and enjoyable.  GM-F's three books of military short stories featuring Private Mc Auslan---the dirtiest soldier in the army--- are superb and all factually  based on his experience as a junior officer just after the Second World War.

Look for:-
The General Danced at Dawn
McAuslan in the Rough
The Sheikh and the Dustbin.

I actually knew some of the characters in Safely Quartered Here, they were Border Regiment and all the survivors went back to ordinary day jobs in Carlisle and Cumberland after "sorting out"---their words---the Japanese army.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

McDonald Fraser also wrote some interesting factual histories.  Perhaps his best was "Hollywood History of the World" where he examined well, Hollywood's history of the world.  He looked at the movies made over the previous 80 years and examined how close they were to the real history that was known of that period in time.  His comments generally were insightful and interesting.   His claims about Hollywood actually improving historical research I take with a bit of a grain of salt, particularly WRT to the Biblical epics.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Osprey Campaign Series - The Hindenberg Line 1918 - Haig's forgotten triumph.

I'm gradually building up my library on the final 100 days, a period that fascinates me and is greatly under represented in the current literature. Most, up until now, seems to stop with the end of the German 1918 Spring offensive and deals with the final Allied victory push as an after thought if at all. Fashion in history writing  :banghead:

Mossie

Went into WH Smith's with a friend as I'd tipped him off to the RAF Secret Jets bookazine.
While he was flicking through it I picked up the one on British Phantoms.

Steel Penguin

Haynes manual   Chieftain tank  from the discount book shop  :thumbsup: score

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

I STILL can't find that RAF Secret Jets bookazine.  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Christmas haul:

Haynes North American X-15: 1954-1968
Greenglow and the Search for Gravity Control
Spaceplane Hermes:  Europe's Dream of Independent Spaceflight by Luc van den Abeelen
British Secret Projects 1: Jet Fighters Since 1950 2ed by Tony Butler
French Secret Projects 2: Bombers, Patrol and Assault Aircraft by JC Carbonel

Particularly impressed by the Hermes book,  good partner to BSP 5 on MUSTARD.   The Greenglow book looks heavy on the physics, especially for my basic A-level, but should prove interesting.
Both Secret Projects books look chock full of stuff as usual.
I'm sure there are more in depth books on the X-15 but the Haynes manual will do me fine,  I'm especially interested in the X-15B.

NARSES2

Xmas haul :

French Secret Projects 2: Bombers, Patrol and Assault Aircraft by JC Carbonel
Collision of Empires by Prit Buttar. 1914 on the Eastern Front. He's written 4 books on WWI  on the Eastern Front so if this is any good ..........

PR19_Kit

For my BIRTHDAY today I got 'The Victor Boys' by Tony Blackman. Not read any of it, but the pics look brill.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit