Re: My stash just grew again (2017)

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2016, 11:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 20, 2017, 02:55:28 AM

This begs a question.... when does a whif stop becoming one and become "real?" Are all fictional creations what ifs or just some? I've wondered about this lately, in fact.

Never thought of it that way around. Often pondered "when does a real world build become a wif ?" eg : does using the wrong serial number on an otherwise spot on real world machine make it a wif ?

Putting the question your way around, I don't think a wif can become real unless either you build an F-35 say in a fictional scheme and then one of the users then does that scheme in real life or you build it in the service of an air force that isn't planned to use it and then they win the lottery and buy it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 20, 2017, 07:03:28 AM

This begs a question.... when does a whif stop becoming one and become "real?" Are all fictional creations what ifs or just some? I've wondered about this lately, in fact.

Never thought of it that way around. Often pondered "when does a real world build become a wif ?" eg : does using the wrong serial number on an otherwise spot on real world machine make it a wif ?

Putting the question your way around, I don't think a wif can become real unless either you build an F-35 say in a fictional scheme and then one of the users then does that scheme in real life or you build it in the service of an air force that isn't planned to use it and then they win the lottery and buy it.

Many years ago I built an RW Hunter T7 using the superb AirConversions kit, sadly no longer available, and as I didn't have the correct number decals available (LONG before I could print my own!) I gave it a serial one more than the last RAF T7.

Needless to say some ex-Hunter OCU pilot saw it at a show and told me how I'd got it wrong.  ;D

On the other point, OGL and I have discussed the possibility of creeping into the Coventry Museum one night and converting their Meteor NF14 into a 'real' PR19.  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 08:05:23 AM

On the other point, OGL and I have discussed the possibility of creeping into the Coventry Museum one night and converting their Meteor NF14 into a 'real' PR19.  ;) ;D

You'd need to move everything out to get the wings in Kit  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

Many years ago I built an RW Hunter T7 using the superb AirConversions kit, sadly no longer available, and as I didn't have the correct number decals available (LONG before I could print my own!) I gave it a serial one more than the last RAF T7.

Needless to say some ex-Hunter OCU pilot saw it at a show and told me how I'd got it wrong.  ;D

did you and OGL ever try this one? I guess you did and were sadly caught.....  ;)
Keeper of George the Cat.

TheChronicOne

I've thought about that, too!  It would be petty.. but someone could say, "Well, I painted one bolt green instead of leaving it bare, so it's a what if!"  :o ;D ;D 

I think my backwards take on the question stemmed from video games, to be honest. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing but cartoons, TV shows, and movies all would seem to apply, too. Using a recent example... Strobez's magnificent Studio Ghibli Projects; if they were not altered in some way, would they still be "what if" and qualify for the SFGB? My own Ferengi ship... it's fictional, and, at some point was "What if" but if I had built it as a stock Ferengi Marauder as depicted in the show, would that be a "what if" or did it only become a "what if" when I changed it to a Starfleet ship?

EDIT:  This would probably make a great discussion topic all itself and I appologize for utterly dragging this one off topic.  :o   
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on October 20, 2017, 08:01:13 PM

did you and OGL ever try this one? I guess you did and were sadly caught.....  ;)

Not yet Trevor..........................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

perhaps kit I should look into the cost of sheet ply 4mm and I am sure our man in Glasgow could help.

as it is I live a mile or so away i'll be more than happy to help this caper along!
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 20, 2017, 09:12:28 PM

I think my backwards take on the question stemmed from video games, to be honest. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing but cartoons, TV shows, and movies all would seem to apply, too. Using a recent example... Strobez's magnificent Studio Ghibli Projects; if they were not altered in some way, would they still be "what if" and qualify for the SFGB? My own Ferengi ship... it's fictional, and, at some point was "What if" but if I had built it as a stock Ferengi Marauder as depicted in the show, would that be a "what if" or did it only become a "what if" when I changed it to a Starfleet ship?

My simplistic take, and many would disagree, is that anything that isn't real CAN/COULD be classed as a Wif. Sci-Fi and Fantasy are merely sub sections of the genre. However others might well say that "What If" modelling is in fact a sub section of those genres - you pay your money and take your choice   ;)

Anyway from the BIG H a IBG PZL-23  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 21, 2017, 03:10:40 AM
My simplistic take, and many would disagree, is that anything that isn't real CAN/COULD be classed as a Wif. Sci-Fi and Fantasy are merely sub sections of the genre. However others might well say that "What If" modelling is in fact a sub section of those genres - you pay your money and take your choice   ;)

Pretty much the way i see it. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

An 1:12 K-2SO kit from Bandai - something completely different. But if this is a standard imperial droid, it should look good (if not better?) in a different livery and some other mods? Worth a try!  :wacko:

The Chaos

PR19_Kit

No new kits for me (do I really need any???) but a trip to the LHS (20 miles away...) produced a bottle of Maskol, two tins of matt black paint, two of satin black paint, some Tamiya tape and some new paint brushes.

On the same trip I got a can of Halfords Ford Dove Grey paint, which is a dead ringer for 'Light Aircraft Grey!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

From uncle Frank:
2 Sword Seafire F17 2in1 kits - I need the rudder from one for a Seafire IV
Fly Illyushin Il-10
Various Xtracrylic paints
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

JayBee

From the Glasgow show to-day, not a lot.

1X Sweet Westland Seaking RAF/RN 1/144 scale.
1X Platz F-82F/G Twin Mustang (double kit) 11/144 scale.
1 bottle of Vallejo paint.

I also got some resin cast missiles fropm TSRJoe.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

From the Glasgow show today,

1 x 1/72 Airfix Victor B.2
1 x 1/72 Fujimi Bell AH-1J Sea Cobra
1 x 1/72 Heller Mirage III E/R/5
1 x 1/144 Zvezda IL-76MD

The Victor I got at a reasonable price from the Kit Swap where another being sold by a trader for £60

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....