Re: My stash just grew again (2017)

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2016, 11:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Martin H on January 09, 2017, 04:48:22 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 09, 2017, 01:59:06 AM
A cheap (EUR 7,-) 1:72 Bilek F-4E/F, actually a re-boxed Italeri kit. No real plan for the Phantom so far, it was just a good occasion I could not resist.  ;)
Word of advice, throw the decals away. They tend to disintergrate on contact with water.

Thank you for the warning!  :thumbsup:

proditor

Small E-bay Splurge

1/700 USS Chandler by Dragon Models
1/700 U-BOAT TYPE XXI & XXIII German Navy by SkyWave~PitRoad
1/700 USS Gearing by Albatross
1/48 Lupin III Autogyro by Gunze Snagyo
1/48 A-10 Warthog by Revell
1/48 MBT-70 by Aurora

And a spending spree over at Squadron Shop

1/700 Baku by Hobby Boss
1/700 Bismarck by Trumpeter
1/700 Gneisnau by Tamiya
No Scale - Chinese Battle Tank by Meng

TheChronicOne

Extremely common, I know, and nothing special.. but... this kit was one I was given or bought some 25 years ago when I was 10 or 11 and I LOOVVVVED it back then... not just the kits inside but the box and box artwork are really special to me, too.  I trashed everything from those back in the day but the instruction sheet so having it again is really really nice.. 

I'm so happy to have this kit(s) again!   :laugh:

This time around I will build them to the best of my ability. Back then all I did was glue the stuff together (terribly and some pieces BACKWARDS  ;D ).

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 11, 2017, 04:41:55 PM
This time around I will build them to the best of my ability. Back then all I did was glue the stuff together (terribly and some pieces BACKWARDS  ;D ).

Displaying your whiffing tendencies early! Plus, & you had fun & loved it! Which is what model-making should be all about! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm not one to say don't build OoB or add $1000 of after-market to a $15 kit, if that's what you enjoy doing; just don't expect everyone to do it (especially not me)! ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 11, 2017, 06:14:38 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 11, 2017, 04:41:55 PM

Displaying your whiffing tendencies early! Plus, & you had fun & loved it! Which is what model-making should be all about! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm not one to say don't build OoB or add $1000 of after-market to a $15 kit, if that's what you enjoy doing; just don't expect everyone to do it (especially not me)! ;)

Now that's a good way of looking at it! I guess it was destined all along I'd wind up in whif-world.  ;D   And heck, the "mods" weren't that bad anyway.. I simply glued the Romulan's nacelles inside out....  the "glowing strip" was outside.  :o :angel:

Agreed on the aftermarket/oob conundrum.  ;D ;D  More so at a stage when a kit becomes an "antique" or something. It almost seems more proper in some instances to do a kit per the instructions inside and using no other outside sources.
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Even the most antique and rare kit isn't going to be worth enough to not build it IMO.

Does the Warbird have a scale singularity within it?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

just ordered for cheap a box of fourty identical aircraft kits ;
ideas are beginning to go bubbling : a flock? assembling them in a geometrical shape?

Gondor

Received today from Weavers sale

1 x Airfix 1/72 BAE Systems Hawk to go towards my flock of Hawks

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

An 1:72 Revell F4U-1D, the new 2014 mould. Very nice kit, good value for the money, just the fabric-covered rudders look a little over-emphasized. Might end up in a kitbash, though.

Snowtrooper

Might as well start documenting my addiction here too (why I registered on a different nick here than BtS I don't remember, and alas, I can only change the nick there).

From a local modelling forum from the same seller as the last few hauls, since the prices were again too tempting. Again, all 1/72:

Airfix F-15 A/B Eagle -- extra 2 seater cockpit parts and those drop tanks never hurt (why is it that so few Eagle kits have all three gasbags?)
Airfix Gnat T.1 (old tool) -- Gnaval Gnat?
Airfix Red Arrows Hawk (old tool) -- I trust it still has at least the weapons for other projects even if I don't have a particular idea
Esci M163 Vulcan
Esci M106 Mortar Carrier -- non-whiffy additions to the "Vietnam Convoy" I might possibly do in the distant future
Heller F-104G/TF-104G Starfighter -- partially started kit so good whiffing fodder (and those RF and TF bitz never hurt) - CL-1200 Lancer (F-13A?) in ROC markings (who would have been satisfied with Starfighter 1.5 if they had had access to F-16)?
MasterCraft Su-20 "Los Tigres" -- yes, I know, Mister/MasterCraft "quality", but will supply cheap wings (or at least wingroots, undecided yet) to my Sea Lightning project (the rest coming from Heller MiG-23 and Mbox T.55 - the fuselage and the rest of this can be combined with Lightning wings and tail to make a "single-engine Lightning" like I saw either here or BtS)
Matchbox BAC Lightning F.2A/F.6 -- this is now about the fifth Lightning in The Stash (plus remains of a similar one), will probably become the "modernized" Lightning (of the other four, Airfix F.3 is destined to become FG.3B Emergency Strike Fighter, Trumpeter F.2A OOB in Dark Green, Mbox F.6 OOB Tiger Squadron natmet, Mbox T.55 the aforementioned Sea Lightning)
Matchbox Canberra PR.9 -- yes, it's missing the necessary lumps, bumps, and wires (some of which I might even bother to scratch), but will still probably get nonwhiffed Afghanistan decals
Matchbox F-14A Tomcat -- sure it's Matchbox, but no currrent manufacturer (that I know of) has the 'Cat with an early (Block 65 and earlier) wing fairing (haven't seen early Monograms too often at reasonable prices if that would have this feature too). The other MbCat in The Stash is marked to be VF-1 "Wichita 101" (decals from the Airfix kit, which obviously is a Block 70 or later), this one could then be a nonwhiffed VF-124 'Cat or in a slight whiffery, VX-4 in the famous Playboy livery
Matchbox F9F-5 Panther -- MAP something something, CIA in Kongo, VNAF?
Matchbox Gnat T.1
Matchbox Mk.80/86 Strikemaster -- these two have will have a durrty threesome with a PM Models F-5, hopefully resulting in an extremely freeform interpretation of the "Gnuclear Gnat" aka "Folland light bomber" (yes, I know, 1/48 Gnat would be much easier and probably more accurate starting point, but where's the fun in that?)
Monogram F-4 C/D Phantom II -- non-whiffed, probably "Oldsmobile" (Scat XXVII)
Revell MiG-29A Fulcrum -- The early grey boxing from the 80's (repopped Tsukuda) so might bear some accidental resemblance to the actual plane ;D But that makes it perfect whiffing material - just need an idea first. Westernized modernized version, or some really exotic livery? Or a naval variant operating from a CATOBAR carrier (which even the Soviets had in my whiffverse)?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2017, 02:19:49 AM
Even the most antique and rare kit isn't going to be worth enough to not build it IMO.

;D

Damn right.  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Rheged

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 13, 2017, 12:27:59 PM
Quote from: zenrat on January 12, 2017, 02:19:49 AM

;D

Damn right.  ;D ;D

Did you have any problems freeing it from the sprue?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

received today from facebook  :o

2 x 1/350 Airfix HMS Invincible Air-group sprues still in their bags and with decals

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....