Re: My stash just grew again (2017)

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2016, 11:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 04, 2017, 09:44:32 PM
I haven't rec'd it yet, but I just bought a kit of a WEIRD airplane:

Yes, that's some sort of weird pole-wheel-thingy that goes across the ground as this twin boomer flies.....     I've done a little research but it seems not much is known about this goofy plane...

Curiouser and curiouser!  I'd be fascinated to know more about this machine, especially WHY the wheely-poley-thingy!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

The wheely poley thing was an attempt at terrain following.  It was linked to the elevators (?).
It didn't work very well.

We've discussed it somewhere here before.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

A bit tough on any poor soul just walking across a field minding his own business when this wheel thingie comes along and bounces off his head!  :o

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 04, 2017, 08:28:04 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2017, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 03, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
Isitong mum.  Popped into F&S Models for a bottle of liquid glue. 

Somehow a Zvezda Il-2 stuck itself to it as I was leaving the shop.

That's terrible, you just can't trust these plastic kits further than you can throw them.........  :banghead:

No-no, Kit - you don't throw them, you pick them up lovingly and take them back to the stash and treat them gently... well, until the time comes for a bit of mayhem and butchery...  :lol:
Of course, if they prove at all recalcitrant, then you can throw them...  :rolleyes:

Been there and done THAT a few times of course......  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I thought it was a secret crop circle making device, designed by the KGB to weed out all the conspiracy theorists.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2017, 12:54:03 AM
The wheely poley thing was an attempt at terrain following.  It was linked to the elevators (?).
It didn't work very well.

We've discussed it somewhere here before.

Nutty!!!  Seems like a CRAAAPPY idea! Them Soviets were always trying weird stuff though. 

CHECK THIS OUT:  My idea? Soviet Post Man!!  Dude flies over the back woods of Syberia to pick up mail. No place to land. How do I pick up this mail?!  Well, they stack the mail into a basket or something then this thing flies over and drops the boom thingy there but rather than just the wheel, there's a hook that grabs the basket of mail (or military goods, or some poor commie operative/whatever.) Or something! For the GB.   :lol:

Quote from: chrisonord on March 05, 2017, 05:34:39 AM
I thought it was a secret crop circle making device, designed by the KGB to weed out all the conspiracy theorists.
Chris
;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 05, 2017, 07:02:39 AM

CHECK THIS OUT:  My idea? Soviet Post Man!!  Dude flies over the back woods of Syberia to pick up mail. No place to land. How do I pick up this mail?!  Well, they stack the mail into a basket or something then this thing flies over and drops the boom thingy there but rather than just the wheel, there's a hook that grabs the basket of mail (or military goods, or some poor commie operative/whatever.) Or something! For the GB.   :lol:

Sorry to pour water over your cornflakes TCO, but that is how the Brit Army Air Corp (Co-Operation Units) used to do it during the war. I think it was common practice with other countries too. The practice was for the ground people to hold up two long poles which had a tape attached to the top and a message, plane would fly by with a hook, grab the tape and pick up the message.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 05, 2017, 07:22:49 AM

Sorry to pour water over your cornflakes TCO, but that is how the Brit Army Air Corp (Co-Operation Units) used to do it during the war. I think it was common practice with other countries too. The practice was for the ground people to hold up two long poles which had a tape attached to the top and a message, plane would fly by with a hook, grab the tape and pick up the message.

No worries! Sounds familiar.   :mellow:

It was probably hearing of that type of stuff that got the idea planted in the back of my mind in the first place. Larger planes also pick (or used to) up people!  The Hercules' or whatever. A different system but more impressive. I thought about going that route with this thing but I think considering the size I should stick with picking up lighter objects.  ;D 
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

Just reduced Bungle's stash by winning a 1/72 Kawanishi H6K5 ,'Mavis' flying boat on eBay.
Been after one of those for ages.

PR19_Kit

The practice was for the ground people to hold up two long poles which had a tape attached to the top and a message, plane would fly by with a hook, grab the tape and pick up the message.

They did it between the wars too. My Dad did it in his Audax flying with 4 Sqdn. in the late 30s.

Here's Micheal Turner's painting of an Audax doing its 'hooking thing' back in the period.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I went to the Helicopter Museum at Weston-s-Mare today, and didn't manage to escape without buying an Italeri RAH-66 Comanche kit.

It's TINY! But it was also cheap, only £6.50.  :thumbsup:

I have a plan for it already.........  ;)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Some RS Models kits in 1:72:
- Supermarine Seafang
- Martin Baker MB.5 (the prototype kit)
- a Spitfire IX UTI

There's also an Academy 1:72 SR-71 in the pipeline from South Korea and an MPM Spitfire XVIII w/o box as a bargain find.

Leading Observer

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 05, 2017, 07:44:48 AM

It was probably hearing of that type of stuff that got the idea planted in the back of my mind in the first place. Larger planes also pick (or used to) up people!  The Hercules' or whatever. A different system but more impressive. I thought about going that route with this thing but I think considering the size I should stick with picking up lighter objects.  ;D

Weren't some B-17's modified to pick up downed pilots using a Balloon and line in a similar fashion? I seem to recall it from one of the early Bond films
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Gondor

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 06, 2017, 01:45:07 AM

Weren't some B-17's modified to pick up downed pilots using a Balloon and line in a similar fashion? I seem to recall it from one of the early Bond films

Thunderball is the film your thinking of.

Anyway, Today I received from eBay

1 x 1/72 Airfix BAC Jet Provost T5/Strikemaster  to go with the Xtradecal set I purchased recently

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 06, 2017, 01:45:07 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 05, 2017, 07:44:48 AM

C-130's as well I seem to recall ?

Wasn't there something very similar designed for recovery of the Apollo missions or is my brain having another one of those days ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

C-130, yup, and did all kinds of tests for picking up people. When they got to using actual humans they almost killed one ol' boy because of how he rolled once in the air on the cable..... wind was blowing by so fast or whatever that he could not actually draw a breath! 

If memory serves, they actually did an op once where they put a guy or some guys down on a piece of ice up in the Artctic. There was listening post the Soviets had put there but they had to abandon it in one hell of a hurry because I think they thought it was going to break apart or something was going to sink... or something...   Anyway, we decided to put this guy or people down there and they did indeed find a bunch of good intelligence that the Ruskis couldn't dispose of because they left so fast and I think the post was some sort of thing for listening for submarines.  Then they snapped the feller or fellers up on the balloon cable grabby Hercules contraption and minutes later the ice broke up and the post went to the ocean floor.

-Sprues McDuck-