Re: My stash just grew again (2017)

Started by Martin H, December 31, 2016, 11:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

I need to go buy some lotto tickets or something....   It's been a really, really good month as far as work is concerned so I'm cruising eBay like a vulture seeing if any of my most sought after kits are to be had for cheap. Turns out.... there are!  :o :o :wub: :wub: :wub:

Anyway, I scored another kit I've been looking for for a while.. an Airfix 1/72 TSR 2.  This is the Stratos 4 boxing. I got it for $15 plus another $10 shipping. No one else bid on it?!?!

:wub: :wub:

-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

placed an online order at Super Hobby a few days ago:

-Roden 1/144 AC-119K Stinger (to be build as a C-119G in Belgian colors, gunship parts will be for another build)
-Roden 1/144 C-47A Skytrain
-Roden 1/144 DC-3 Dakota
-Zvezda 1/144 Sukhoi Superjet 100
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 18, 2017, 06:53:14 PM
I need to go buy some lotto tickets or something....   It's been a really, really good month as far as work is concerned so I'm cruising eBay like a vulture seeing if any of my most sought after kits are to be had for cheap. Turns out.... there are!  :o :o :wub: :wub: :wub:

Anyway, I scored another kit I've been looking for for a while.. an Airfix 1/72 TSR 2.  This is the Stratos 4 boxing. I got it for $15 plus another $10 shipping. No one else bid on it?!?!

:wub: :wub:

Be prepared for bad fit (admittedly I cut mine up while building it which didn't help but this is not one of the new shake & bake airfix moulds), make sure you read the instructions properly (there is stuff that goes inside that cannot be put in later - trust me on this) and invest in the SAC white metal undercarriage set.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

There's no real need for a new white metal u/c and IIRC, the SAC stuff is usually the kit parts remoulded in white metal and sold back to you at the same cost as the kit.  I will say that the bogies will need reinforcing, but as the production aircraft would have had a tie strut, that should really do the trick.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

Thank you both for the tips. This is just the type of "insider" information I need.

The real question is do I make it OOB or turn it into a whif? 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 19, 2017, 07:39:20 AM
Thank you both for the tips. This is just the type of "insider" information I need.

It's a Whiff in a Box already, isn't it? Although you do get all the decals for the early RW ones as well.

As for the landing gear, have a look at the 2nd page of my 'Time Warp' TSR2, Post #24. That tells the troubles I had with the gear and how I fixed it. And it's still OK now after 4 yrs or so.

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37459.15.html
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

For some reason, the MS boxing does not seem to attract people - don't they realize (or know to Google) that it has the exact same plastic and decals plus whiffy extras, or is the JMN mindset so deeply embedded in them that they don't dare touch a box with optional whiffy components lest their mind would be irrevocably corrupted? I picked mine in a stash clearance sale, nobody had seemed to want it for the steep price of 10€.

The RATO/ZELL bottles and missile (or is it a satellite booster in your whiffverse?) can easily be repurposed for other kits too, if you decide to build this more grounded in reality (pun intended).

Gondor

Quote from: Snowtrooper on October 19, 2017, 09:34:28 AM
For some reason, the MS boxing does not seem to attract people - don't they realize (or know to Google) that it has the exact same plastic and decals plus whiffy extras, or is the JMN mindset so deeply embedded in them that they don't dare touch a box with optional whiffy components lest their mind would be irrevocably corrupted? I picked mine in a stash clearance sale, nobody had seemed to want it for the steep price of 10€.

The RATO/ZELL bottles and missile (or is it a satellite booster in your whiffverse?) can easily be repurposed for other kits too, if you decide to build this more grounded in reality (pun intended).

That's why roughly half of my stash of TSR2's are the Manga kitting as they are usually cheaper than the vanilla TSR2's on various well known auction sites

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Snowtrooper on October 19, 2017, 09:34:28 AM

..... or is the JMN mindset so deeply embedded in them that they don't dare touch a box with optional whiffy components lest their mind would be irrevocably corrupted?

That's assuming that logical thought is part of their mental talents...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

There is someone in Gloucester selling the stratos four one on eBay for £169!!! But the postage is free. Bless.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

It's NOT me, although I have a couple of them...........

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have one and one of the previous offerings from air fix, but the box went wall on that one, to be honest I don't think I will build either
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 19, 2017, 08:58:36 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 19, 2017, 07:39:20 AM

It's a Whiff in a Box already, isn't it? Although you do get all the decals for the early RW ones as well.

As for the landing gear, have a look at the 2nd page of my 'Time Warp' TSR2, Post #24. That tells the troubles I had with the gear and how I fixed it. And it's still OK now after 4 yrs or so.

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,37459.15.html

You're a saint. I really like the whif in the box scheme. Stratos... M4.  No real clue wha that is, although I took a cursory glance at the wiki and it seems like a really neat manga.

This begs a question.... when does a whif stop becoming one and become "real?" Are all fictional creations what ifs or just some? I've wondered about this lately, in fact.

And yeah I always looked at this boxing as the more desirable one because of the things you all already mentioned. It was genuinely surprised no one else bid on it at all. Of course... it happens. I was going to bid on a Vickers Valiant(Airfix) about a week ago and it slipped my mind. It went for $45!  (Plus $20 shipping) but ..... the person who bid $45 was the only one to bid. I damn sure WOULD have if I hadn't forgotten..
-Sprues McDuck-

The Wooksta!

From Ebay
Zotz: Middle East Roundels

I wanted this last year, largely for the Jordanian and Lebanese markings.  Could I find one?  No.  Fast forward to now.  2 on ebay, both in the US, both pricey.  Just had to have one.

Means I can get some of those Spitfires planned and started last year advanced further.  But not for a while.  Too many others in the spray queue.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

Just shot a PM Model Fokker D.XXI on ebay for just EUR 2,50,-. Conversion fodder.