Milliput replacement?

Started by RAFF-35, January 07, 2017, 04:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

After the disaster that befell my 777-900, I used three different putties in different layers, and it all erupted in bubbles and chaos which took MONTHS to stop reacting, I stick with Dizzy's Presto almost exclusively.

Just now and then I use Polyfilla Fine finish for very fine jobs, but never on top of, or underneath the Presto.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

I use a combination of Humbrol putty, Homebase flexible filler and superglue. If the gaps wider than a mm I'll pack in some plastic rod, putty, smooth with spirit, let dry, superglue, let dry, thin layer of putty, smooth, dry and sand. Bit long winded but works miricles. Very small gaps I use flexible filler on top of superglue...usually does the trick (as long as you use your pinky to smooth it right ;D.

chrisonord

I bought some of the perfect plastic putty to give it a try. Not reet happy with it, as when I was squeezing it out of the tube, the end of the tube split open and covered my hand in the contents. So, there goes 7 quid. :banghead: :banghead:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I'd send it back, that's very poor QC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2017, 02:16:43 PM
I'd send it back, that's very poor QC.
Just a bit, I had only just started to use the stuff too
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

FAR148

My favorite putty, Super glue and baby powder. I can get it anywhere. It cures fast, hard and does not shrinks. As well as does not clog up sand paper.  Sands beautifully (Always wear a dust mask while sanding)and you can rescribe panel lines. I use it on all my projects

That's my 2 cents,
Steven L  :thumbsup:

kerick

I've used CA and baking soda. Sets right now! Put down the CA, apply the baking soda then blow off the excess.
I also use Perfect Plastic putty, Bondo spot filler and Aves Epoxie Sculpt. Aves is best on larger areas and things that will bear weight. Each has its virtues in different situations. I've never had a problem with fillers reacting with each other but then I tend to let them dry/cure a least a day. That's just my build pattern, not a conscious decision.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

RAFF-35

FAR128, what kind of ratio and mixing method do you use for your baby powder and super glue? Also, wet or dry sand it???  :lol:
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

zenrat

I can glue my fingers together, my arm to the bench and the tube to my lip applying tiny drops of superglue to the end of ezy line when rigging.
I dread to think of the havoc i would wreak using the amounts i'd need to use when using it as filler.

I use PPP or Tamiya Polyester Putty.
I dry-sand with fingernail sanding sticks I buy from the chemists, wet and dry of various grades, detail sanders of three different grades,  and a number of sponge sanding pads of various grades culminating on one i've used for years which is completely clogged to such an extent that it is perfect for that final polish before paint.  Getting it wet would ruin it by unclogging it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Must admit I make my own sanding sticks using emery paper, coffee stirrers/lolly sticks and "padded" double side tape. Means I can make them any grit and width I want.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on January 23, 2017, 05:01:23 PM

I've never had a problem with fillers reacting with each other but then I tend to let them dry/cure a least a day.

The various fillers on my 777-900 disaster were reacting with each other and causing blisters and bumps after three MONTHS!  :banghead:

I guess it depends on what sort of filler they are and in what order they are applied.

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 24, 2017, 06:06:26 AM
Must admit I make my own sanding sticks using emery paper, coffee stirrers/lolly sticks and "padded" double side tape. Means I can make them any grit and width I want.

:thumbsup:...absolutely brilliant for air intakes etc. Once spent hours and !ing (who's a Mr Tulip then?) hours using them on the intakes on a 1/48 B-1b...only effective method. Then spent hours and !ing hours cutting and sanding the anti-radar baffles. Bu**er of a kit but stunning if you put the time in. Hung on fishing line fills a stairwell a treat too ;D

seadude

Just an FYI, but the March 2017 issue of FineScale Modeler magazine will be having an article review of different modeling puttys. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

FAR148

Quotewhat kind of ratio and mixing method do you use for your baby powder and super glue? Also, wet or dry sand it???  :lol:

It depends on what it is I'm filling. If it's a little thin gap, I make it thick enough to bridge and fill the gap. The way I mix mine is I dump out a small pile of baby powder on a piece of cardboard and add the super glue to it. Mixing it as I add until I'm happy with the mix. I have noticed if you have a higher powder ratio to glue, it will set up quicker. I use gel type super glue, it does not has to be a name brand to work. You will have to play around with the mix and you will see what works well for you. You might like it super thick or runny... :thumbsup:

Once it is set up and cured, you can sand wet or dry.

Steven L  :cheers:

Allan

perfect plastic putty is pretty good, but getting the stuff out of the tube if it is an old one is damn hard..any suggestions?