Martin-Baker M.B.5

Started by JayBee, January 08, 2017, 08:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

At the same time that I started the RS Models P-51H/ RAF Mustang VII, I also started my first AZ Models Martin-Baker M.B.5.
The kit looks nice, with light external detailing. All cleanly moulded, and thank all the Gods you can think of, NO resin or PE.

So the first part to do is build the cockpit tub. For this you get a floor, front, rear, left side, right side, instrument panel, seat, rear combing, rudder pedals and control column.
The first problem is with the sides. The left side looks fine and agrees with the drawings in the instructions, however, the right side is very different from the instructions.
I do not know which is correct, the plastic or the instructions, as I have never seen any photos of the M.B.5's cockpit.
In my case it is not going to matter as I, as always, will be fitting a pilot figure.
I even do the pilots of UAVs, but as they are usually sited very remotely from the UAV you are unlikely to see them displayed together. Just think in 1/72 scale a Reaper flying in the middle east combat zone is controlled by a driver sitting in Creek AFB in Nevada U.S.A.
Even the halls at SMW are not large enough to show the correct spatial displacement between the aircraft and it's pilot/driver.

Anyway, having got to the stage of dry fitting the pilot to make sure that everything will be OK I then checked with the canopy to make sure the pilot is not too high in the cockpit.
First big problem. The canopy does not fit the fuselage, the following photos will show what I am talking about.

In this photo, taken against a 1/72 plan of the M.B.5 you can see that the shape of the canopy is not too bad.

So at this point I have put the model to one side and am going to get on with the Mustang.
Then there is the two F4U Corsairs, and the Soviet GB.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitbasher

Yes, the windscreen and canopy look OK to me, its the lower framing and the cutaway in the fuselage that are at fault.  Now if Falcon were to revive their 1/72 vacformed canopy....
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on January 08, 2017, 08:15:24 AM

I even do the pilots of UAVs, but as they are usually sited very remotely from the UAV you are unlikely to see them displayed together. Just think in 1/72 scale a Reaper flying in the middle east combat zone is controlled by a driver sitting in Creek AFB in Nevada U.S.A.
Even the halls at SMW are not large enough to show the correct spatial displacement between the aircraft and it's pilot/driver.

If you had the UAV on the stand at Telford and left the pilot figure at home in Bonnie Scotland the spatial displacement would be nearer to scale..............  ;D ;)

[Later] Actually that's too far as it works out at around 15400 miles in 1/72 scale  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on January 08, 2017, 08:32:56 AM
Des, the windscreen and canopy look OK to me, its the lower framing and the cutaway in the fuselage that are at fault.  Now if Falcon were to revive their 1/72 vacformed canopy....

I've recently just bought four 1/72 Falcon MB5's, so the canopy is still available. The contact for them is John at JAYS Models, he got them direct from Falcon for me (actually, I think he now is the owner of Falcon, at least the news letter I get periodically would suggest that)

I'M very interested in your build Jim, please don't put it on the shelf ---  :rolleyes:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 08, 2017, 09:36:07 AM
I've recently just bought four 1/72 Falcon MB5's, so the canopy is still available. The contact for them is John at JAYS Models, he got them direct from Falcon for me (actually, I think he now is the owner of Falcon, at least the news letter I get periodically would suggest that)

Cool, thanks for the tip.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

JayBee

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 08, 2017, 09:36:07 AM

I'M very interested in your build Jim, please don't put it on the shelf ---  :rolleyes:

Not to worry it is just being put behind the Mustang rather than running in parallel.

Heck, I do not want to delay this. I have two more to deal with, and as long as I can get this one sorted the rest will be easy peasy.
One is planned to be ex RAF with a foreign operator, but late in its career so the camo. scheme will have changed.
The second is planned to be with the original operator but (Ah thank goodness)  in a physically altered form. (Ah! building not painting  :wub:)

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

JayBee

As far as the canopy/fuselage problem is concerned, I honestly think that the problem is with the fuselage not the canopy.

Oh well we will see how we get on.

Jim

Cats are not real. 

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Strange that they'd miss that much with the canopy fit !? Too bad, I'd love to see this one built.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

comrade harps

I picked up one of the AZ M.B.5s recently, so I'm interested to see how this goes. Scheming now.
Whatever.

JayBee

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 08, 2017, 11:29:11 AM
This sort of build thread on Britmodeller may be of some help, Jim.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007702-az-172-martin-baker-mb5/

Thanks for that link Lee, it will be helpfull.
I am just glad that it is not my kit that has the poor canopy fit.

Jim

Cats are not real. 

NARSES2

I had a good look at one of mine the other day and intend to start on it latter this week so the heads up re the canopy issue is useful  :thumbsup:

I did notice that one of the propellers will need some serious cleaning up at the blade roots.

First one will be RAF UK based, second will be SEAC and the third ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

I am following this with interest and the build thread that Lee pointed out as I have a couple of the AZ models as well as a Pegasus one. First of mine will be a Reverse Lease-Lend aircraft using decals from a Tamiya P-51D, the other two..... to be decided later just not in the extra decals for Boscombe Down which will be useful for other builds

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I've a stripped Pegasus one that may end up in 2TAF markings at some point.  Plus one or two re-engined birds, one of which isn't that far from completion.

How about a mini theme for this year's Telford?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf