Martin-Baker M.B.5

Started by JayBee, January 08, 2017, 08:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Someone somewhere mentioned that some pics showed the inner main landing gear doors and some didn't.

I found a 4 view plan today that says '...small wheels doors omitted after initial flights......' so you can take your pick.  ;D

I quite like them so they'll be on my PR3.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Oh yeah, one odd thing about the MB5, the port elevator has a much larger trim tab than the starboard one, it's much deeper chordwise and yet narrower span wise.

Anybody know why that was?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 12, 2017, 09:41:56 AM
When you put one half of the Spiteful fuselage onto the Seafang half you find everything is smaller

Just reminded myself by getting my unbuilt ones out. First time I've compared them and the Spitefull is a tad smaller all round  :-X
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2017, 03:31:53 PM
Oh yeah, one odd thing about the MB5, the port elevator has a much larger trim tab than the starboard one, it's much deeper chordwise and yet narrower span wise.

Anybody know why that was?

Afraid not Kit I'm still trying to work out what the large under wing "blisters" were for ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2017, 06:20:11 AM

Afraid not Kit I'm still trying to work out what the large under wing "blisters" were for ?

They're the aileron control linkage fairings according to something I read recently.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

JayBee

Found this excellent website.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.eu/index.php?/topic/8916-martin-baker-mb5-r2496-picture-heavy/

Lots of photos and drawings. Includes the cockpit photo that Kit posted and the plan from Aeromodeller magazine that I have.

It also has a photo of the prototype fitted with the earlier MB3 type fin/rudder.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Some wonderful stuff there Jim, well spotted, thanks.  :thumbsup:

That top down pic of the cockpit explains a few things on my model. The stick and rudder are mounted on big tubes that run along the floor of the cockpit and the Skybirds kit actually has them cast in with the white metal bits.  :o

It's a seriously smart looking aeroplane.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

What does the AZ kit say about the interior colour of the MB5's cockpit please?

My Skybirds kit says all over matt black, but not only does it look stupid, it looks nothing like that B&W pic I posted above. Chris' cockpit with the interior mostly green with black highlights looks much more believable.

Regards
Kit

JayBee

The kit instructions give it as "interior green" and say it is Humbrol H226 I use humbrol 78.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

PR19_Kit

Thanks Jim, that makes much more sense to me.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

The b/w photo in the book I've mentioned a few times definitely has the cockpit as a quite light colour with black instrument panels at the top of the side walls.

Mine's Lifcolour Interior green which I find is slightly greener than Xtracrylic. I switch between them dependent on mood and sometimes use a bespoke spray can I had made up to the official BS number and is even on the greener side of both.

JayBee

Well here is what I have been doing with the first of my MB-5s., and let may point out that I always put a pilot in the model.

As you can see I have done the interior in green.

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on January 21, 2017, 02:30:29 PM

As you can see I have done the interior in green.

So have I, now.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Obviously been on the beer....he's legless. I'll get my coat  ;D

One thing I like about the instructions is the way they've done the colour call outs (the 109 H is actually a little better in this respect) with even the colours for the instrument panel pointed out  :thumbsup: