Myasishchev M-7 "Lebed". NATO reporting name Brawler. Finished Pics page 7.

Started by zenrat, January 10, 2017, 02:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

How is the paintjob going Fred? challenging scheme, isn't it? I felt it was very relaxing not having to check what color gets wherem ( like ím a rivet counter).
I've read an article by the Dutch IPMS branch about the soviet schemes. These tactical schemes had to differ per airframe. There were only basic colors used per theater, usually chocolade brown, dark green and a theater specific color..

David

zenrat

Well to be honest Dave, as its gone on it's become more "inspired by 63cpe" than a straight copy.
This is due to me not having a similar underside colour (and not wanting to mix my own for such a large aircraft), being too bone idle to mask it for spraying with fuzzy edges, going completely freeform without preplanned pencil marks and not having printed out a copy of your photo and thus going from memory.
So having got what I think of as the "surprise" colours* on I started on the bigger areas and put on some dark green colour.  Which I thinned too much and which looks crap but which experiment shows looks OK when overrated with a second unthinned coat of the same paint.

Not much progress on the weapon but i've found something to use as it's nose cone and that's what was holding it up so it won't take long to throw a few fins and things onto it now.

* If you look at a lot of camo schemes, Swedish Fields and Meadows for example, they use two or three colours for most of it but have just one or two small areas that are different.  I think of these as the Surprise Colours.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

buzzbomb

zenrat

So this is with one coat of each colour.
I'm not sure about the pale green.  I may change it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

Upperside painting is complete now.  Underside needs some touching up, nose and inside bits need painting and then it can be cleared and decaled.
Fred

zenrat

Paint done and ready for clearing tomorrow.
Pilots painted, cockpit insert construction and painting underway.

I made some Russian Cockpit paint today by mixing the following Vallejo colours.  RLM 65, Blue Green, IJN Undersides Grey and US Zinc Chromate Green.  A truely Internationale brew...
Fred

zenrat

Fred

zenrat

Fred

TheChronicOne

Ooooh..... nice looking working, there.  Let's see, that was a couple days ago when you made the last update so I imagine any minute now it'll be done and dusted! 
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

I'm painting the fiddley bits ATM.  Should be finished by the end of the week.

You rest up and look after that pneumonia and it'll be up here before you know it.

Fred

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Comrades, as often happens in the capitalist West it seems that while the aircraft will roll out by the new deadline the weapon it was designed to carry will not be ready.
The design team working on the folding fin ramjet powered stand off nuke have fallen behind due to a certain central committee member insisting they work instead on a custom van.
An existing nuclear weapon will be utilised as an interim measure.

Painted the wheel hubs green today and the undercarriage legs silver.
Fred

TheChronicOne

Better than nothing! I find even tiny amounts of progress helps me feel better about a builds progression so gettin' a little work done on the "shoes" is good enough. Besides, vans take priority and nukes can wait. ;D 

And thanks, Fred.. rest up, indeed... I've finally been able to and I think this mess is finally starting to clear up. Still can't breath all too well and the violent coughing fits are still here, BUT, it's all decreasing in frequency and intensity as is the amount of neon green toxic nuclear material in my lungs and sinuses.

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Not a smoker are you Brad?  Horrible habit.  Stopping for good was the hardest thing I ever did.

This one is crawling to completion.  I got it satin cleared today and should be attaching legs, wheels, doors etc tomorrow.
Bomb bay doors are still to be painted as I had to scratchbuild them due to the wider bay.
Canopy needs a small amount of sanding to fit and then a lick of paint.
I have assembled and painted one of the single large bombs included in the 1/72 Italeri Beagle for inclusion in the bomb bay.  I am assuming it is meant to represent a nuclear weapon but can find no information.
Fred