FW 190 ARII and Halifax

Started by Allan, January 10, 2017, 04:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allan

here're some more snaps....have to do some work on the underneath and then RLM76 it..

Allan

white on the tail...still having trouble with puting down a smooth coat...as you can see, it's sandpapered...must work on this
Allan

TheChronicOne

Every time I think I have that "smooth coat" stuff nailed down I produce an orange piece.   ;D

I think it will be great no matter that... this is looking good.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Allan

this is how I put on the leading edge wavy line, with a piece of paper taped to the wing and the paint wafted on at a low setting sprayed from the back towards the leading edge..I don't worry overmuch if it doesn't look exactly the same on each wing as in real life the mechanics probably put on the paint slightlyl differently..
Allan

TheChronicOne

That's pretty slick, I like it. I admire the patience and steady hand to achieve those cuts.

My mama, who just turned 85 a few days ago (HBD!) , had some scissors that would produce such a pattern. IIRC, a bunch were produced in the 90s? I know she had a couple. They were scissors like any other but they all had neat patterns they would cut. Color coded and such. Memory fails a bit at the mo. but I know there were a few.

This is random as hell but seeing these scallops reminded me of those scissors. I know that might not be relevant and methods and such are different but I thought I'd mention it.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

I think the scissors you are thinking of were known as pinking scissors  or shears
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 02, 2017, 02:35:58 AM

I think the scissors you are thinking of were known as pinking scissors  or shears

Very true, my Mum had a pair for years and I used them for cutting parachutes out of handkerchiefs once.

ONLY the once though.............  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

If you explore Hobbycraft and similar places, you can sometimes find sets of up to five  pairs of scissors.  They are colour coded and cut zigzags and sundry curves in paper and single thicknesses of cloth.  I've used them aeons ago with older primary classes when I was still teaching. They are not cheap, but might be worth investigating.

I too used mum's pinking shears for "unapproved purposes" but as Kit says.......only the once!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TheChronicOne

I'll second and third that.  ;D ;D

My mama's Fiskers and her scallop pinkin shears and all that?? Yeah....     She'd start in on me if I even looked at one.  :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

dumaniac

I got my set of 5 scissors from Office Works - I think. There are 4 different cut face and of course - one pair of straight blades. It does make life easier. The dollar shops sometimes have them also.

Allan

here's how she looks with the tape off...a little touching up to do here and there....I elected to resurrect the sponge technique for the two greys on the fus spine and dabbed on RLM 74 and 75 from the Xtracrylix range of paint and it turned out okay...after sprucing up the paintwork here and there I plan to apply some matt varnish to the fus sides and then use two high quality German colored pencils in something approaching 74 and 75 to do the mottle..perhaps gently draw a roundish mottle with the pencil tip sanded very  flat and then use a cotton bud to tease out the color....at least it's another technique to try....the sponge technique has the wonderful advantage of not requiring any masking and can be completed before the kettle boils for a cuppa..
Allan

NARSES2

Coming along nicely Al. I do like the leading edge "wave" effect in particular  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

I agree!! That is too cool for school... I'll have to remember that technique. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Allan

the 190 having been put to bed, now work resumes on my Halibag... here're some more shots to refresh your memories

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est