Martin Baker MB5B Monsoon PR3 build thread

Started by PR19_Kit, January 12, 2017, 07:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I've got an old vac form MB 5 stuffed in a drawer somewhere....
I'll have to get it out once and see what it's like.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Interesting "name story"... (and model, of course) :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 13, 2017, 08:04:54 AM
Martin Baker Monsoon trips off the tongue nicely, doesn't it?  :thumbsup:

When the War Ministry ordered the MB5 into production in September 1944, MB hadn't got a large enough factory to produce the 750 aircraft ordered so James Martin approached Hawker Aircraft to act as sub-contractors. During the discussions Sydney Camm asked what the MB5 was going to be named, but no-one had thought of that so far, and Camm suggested that MB 'borrow' one of Hawker's 'wind names', thus the MB Monsoon.

[That's a chunk of the back story written already.... ;)]

I'd sort of guessed there must be some sort of a connection theme-wise to Hurricane, Typhoon etc, but the started backstory ties that in nicely  ;D

So would the export version for post-war resurgent Armée de l'air be the MB5F Mistral  ;)
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on January 14, 2017, 12:44:29 AM

So would the export version for post-war resurgent Armée de l'air be the MB5F Mistral  ;)

Mais oui.  ;D

So long as MB get there before DH use it for the S.N.C.A.S.E Vampire.

But then in my full backstory jet engines don't work, so DH would never have built the Vampire anyway.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I'm on a 'wing thing' at the moment, doing the Monsoon and the Vindicator wings alternately.

The Monsoon's wings have cleaned up nicely and I've added the 4ft extension to the starboard wing, and PSR'd it to death. Got to do the same to the other side of course, but I've got the styrene thicknesses sorted by now. You can't see the panel lines on that crazy plastic but I can assure you they're there.

Back to the cockpit next I guess, as soon as I can figure out what goes where...........  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I personally prefer "Rapier" for the MB5, as there was a story in The Victor about an aircraft that looked very like the MB5 called that.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

Most glorious!! This has been fascinating and fun already.  I've enjoyed reading through and watching the goings-on. Longer wings of course.. love that. PR.. love that. LOL @ leaving part of the marble stuff.. . .. .   ;D ;D

Strange coincidence 'bout that, I opened the thread and saw that marble stuff going on and I was thinking, "did I start a trend with my ridiculous idea" because I was ruminating elsewhere about doing a subdued marbleized paint dipping job on a test plane before I shifted & went in another direction w/ it.   :o ;D

I can't wait to hear more about this jet engines as failed tech!  (and the rest  ;D )
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 14, 2017, 03:51:26 PM

I can't wait to hear more about this jet engines as failed tech!  (and the rest  ;D )

I'm working on it, I'm working on it................  ;D

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Nice work on the wing extension, it looks great!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Martin H

Quote from: KiwiZac on January 15, 2017, 02:06:55 PM

It wouldnt be a classic Spackman build with out such mods being made  :thumbsup: ;D ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on January 15, 2017, 02:08:54 PM
Quote from: KiwiZac on January 15, 2017, 02:06:55 PM

It wouldnt be a classic Spackman build with out such mods being made  :thumbsup: ;D ;D

Perish the thought!  :o

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 14, 2017, 03:30:37 PM
I personally prefer "Rapier" for the MB5, as there was a story in The Victor about an aircraft that looked very like the MB5 called that.

I remember that story! IRC it involved the prototypes being something of a test pilots widdow maker to start with
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Allan

one of my fav planes and I wish I knew a litle more about it, like its performance and armament

NARSES2

Quote from: Allan on January 15, 2017, 07:41:14 PM
one of my fav planes and I wish I knew a litle more about it, like its performance and armament

Armament was 4 x 20mm cannon with a "unique" ammunition feed arrangement that was praised by all the technical bodies that appraised it.

Performance ?

From British Experimental Combat Aircraft of WWII by Tony Butler

Rate of climb : 3,800 ft per minute
Max Speed : 395 mph at sea level ; 460 mph at 20,000 ft
Service ceiling : 40,000 ft

Hope that helps Al
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The Spackman Wing Extension Plant is in full production here at the moment.  ;D

Now I've got both wings of the Monsoon sorted, but I think I'll prime them before I do the panel lines, it's pretty difficult seeing where they should be with that marbled plastic.

Regards
Kit