Martin Baker MB5B Monsoon PR3 build thread

Started by PR19_Kit, January 12, 2017, 07:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: strobez on January 28, 2017, 02:24:14 AM
What a neat build. As others have said, the marbled plastic is crazy cool.  I also appreciate the comments that the engineering of a kit can lose a lot of its lustre the more you work with it.  :)

But don't forget the Skybirds kit is over 30 years old.

I keep having to remind myself of that, and then it slays me with a superb bit of engineering like the way the landing gear slides into position, not to mention the magnificent engraved panel lines etc. that were well ahead of their time back then.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 27, 2017, 02:09:00 PM
I don't think I've ever seen the Falcon kit

Falcon MB5 for you Kit

This particular model is a few years old, but the three others in the pic below are brand new last year

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

That doesn't look at all bad Robert, thanks for the pics.

A built one would make an interesting comparison with the multitude of others we're bound to have at Telford this year.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've had some success with the two intakes on the Monsoon. The nose carb intake has thick enough walls to succumb to my filing it down on both sides and it looks a lot better now, but it awaits some PSR work before it's worth taking pics of.

The belly radiator intake needed a lot more work, as you can see from the pic below it's nothing like the shape of the real thing, being far too oval and narrow toward the base. I've superimposed a plan drawing of the intake on the pic of the intake as moulded, and it lacks the small cross-braces in the centre of the intake.

So I scratchbuilt a more rectangular intake from nine very small pieces of styrene. Well there's nine pieces on the model but I had to cut maybe 20 to get the sizes right.  :banghead: There's a fair amount of filing and PSR needed to get it more to shape, but it's a start.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

I admire your patience... and your persistence!  Looking good, dude! 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Lots of progress on the Monsoon over the last few days, and lots of fiddly PSR work too......

The fuselage is pretty well finished now, and I glued the tailplanes in position, ensuring that the trim tabs were in the right position. The long narrow one goes on the starboard side while the short fat one goes to port. I still think that's weird though. I've drilled the camera ports, two under the cockpit and one on each side of the rear fuselage.

I know JayBee will say 'Ah, but the fuel tanks are under the cockpit.'  ;D Not on the PR3s they weren't as it had a wet wing as there were no cannons fitted, and that gave a much enhanced fuel load and the under cockpit tank wasn't required.....  ;D

The two intakes are sorted now too, the carb intake is as good as I can make it and with the prop in place the remaining glitches are pretty well invisible. The radiator intake looks pretty good to me, and MUCH better than the original. But it did take a lot of PSR, maybe 4-5 sessions just in that small area.

The wings go on tonight with luck.  ;D

Regards
Kit

wuzak

Must be the small camera from the early Spitfire PR aircraft

That were mounted in blisters under the wings.

http://www.airrecce.co.uk/WW2/recce_ac/RAFAR.html

Not the later model cameras that took up most of the fuselage depth

PR19_Kit

It's the focal length of the lens that defines how big the camera assembly is, the very long ones are for the ultra-high altitude work that the PRXIs and XIX's were capable of.  But the MB5 is a much larger aircraft than a Spitfire, and has a deep fuselage, more like a Sea Fury than others of the ilk.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I don't think I've ever had to do so much PSR work on a small model before.  :banghead:

Even though the Skybirds MB5 was reckoned (and reviewed...) as 'one of the best engineered kits of all time' etc. every single joint, wings and tailplanes, needed PSR on both sides, and it needed 3-4 sessions on each joint!

Anyway, it's all done now and I think some primer is the next step, after which I'll need to do some MORE PSR no doubt!

Regards
Kit

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I'm quite pleased with it Alastair, especially the radiator scoop, which was a big disappointment as supplied.

Glad you like it, thanks.

Now here's a question, what colour scheme should I do it in? All over PRU Blue with white or grey codes as the Spitfire PRXIXs carried toward the end of WWII or PRU Blue underneath and Sea Grey Medium uppers as used post war? Or something else entirely?

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2017, 11:39:07 PM

I know JayBee will say 'Ah, but the fuel tanks are under the cockpit.'  ;D Not on the PR3s they weren't as it had a wet wing as there were no cannons fitted, and that gave a much enhanced fuel load and the under cockpit tank wasn't required.....  ;D

On this occasion Kit I am saying nothing. I do thank you for your mental processes as to where and how cameras could be fitted.
That should give you some idea as to the general direction that one of my MB-5s is going.

At this moment your Skybird offering should be given an award for perseverance.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

It's looking a LOT better with some paint on it.  :thumbsup:

At least I can 'see' its shape properly now, and it will need a tad more PSR but not as much as I thought, thank goodness.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Overall PRU Blue, with PDU unit markings in white and Type D roundels.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic