RAN F9F-8 Cougar - Finished &, finally, with AIM-9Bs

Started by Old Wombat, January 16, 2017, 05:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Haven't finished the build, yet, but I'm putting on the first of the transfers/decals to see how they go (& to get some practice using Micro Set & Micro Sol).

So far, so good! :thumbsup:

Even the few I've put on make a huge difference to how she looks. :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

OK, she's almost done. Just a few fix-ups that need to be done. There are dozens that I'm not going to bother about.

This build is far from being close to my best with more issues than you can poke a tree branch at, some down to the kit (which has some surprising issues) but most down to me.

When I've done these I'll take & post some photo's.

She's sans missiles at the moment, but I'm hoping they'll arrive from the USA, courtesy of Mr Jeff Fontaine (@BtS), soon.

TheChronicOne

You know what they say, bruh, "don't sweat the minor details!"   ;D  Lookin' forward to it!
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Well, Brad, your wish is my command (not really but we can pretend - we're good at that here). ;)

Looking at the photo's it appears they're hiding most of the faults - I have no problem with that at all! ;D

zenrat

Fab.
The chequers provide a perfect solution to the "where do I stop the grey" issue at the wing roots.  I have a 1/72 Hasegawa Cougar assigned to the RAN FAA and I may borrow this idea.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thanks, Fred :thumbsup:

There's a fairly sharp join of the wings to the fuselage on the F9F-8, so it's fairly easy to find an edge for the (E)DSG/Sky interchange. I just wanted to try to do a chequer-board pattern on a 50's jet & this one fit the bill. ;)

loupgarou

Came out beautiful.  :thumbsup:
Re-reading the topic, I haven't understood why you had to mask twice for the dark colour. Even if 2 coats were necessary, couldn't have been done with the first masking?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Now that's come out REALLY well Wombie! MOST impressive.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Sweet! Nice work!
Cougar + Kangaroo = Kangarougar??

Old Wombat

Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow:

(The pictures hide a thousand sins. ;))

Quote from: loupgarou on November 07, 2019, 02:58:09 AM
Re-reading the topic, I haven't understood why you had to mask twice for the dark colour. Even if 2 coats were necessary, couldn't have been done with the first masking?

Short answer is "No".

Unless you cut out where the tapes overlap (and, believe me, it can get very messy going down that path - I know, I tried) there's no way to do the complete chequer-board pattern in a single pass of masking.

If you don't want to waste tape, try some strips of paper laid down over a sheet of paper & colour in the spaces to see why it needs two masking sessions (you're basically only doing all the odd lines on the first pass & all the even lines on the second pass).

NARSES2

That really has come out well mate  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Although I have to admit I might have trouble with the proximity of the cheques and the Sky paintwork if I'd had a few pints the night before  :lol:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 07, 2019, 06:08:19 AM
Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow:

(The pictures hide a thousand sins. ;))

Quote from: loupgarou on November 07, 2019, 02:58:09 AM

Short answer is "No".

Unless you cut out where the tapes overlap (and, believe me, it can get very messy going down that path - I know, I tried) there's no way to do the complete chequer-board pattern in a single pass of masking.

If you don't want to waste tape, try some strips of paper laid down over a sheet of paper & colour in the spaces to see why it needs two masking sessions (you're basically only doing all the odd lines on the first pass & all the even lines on the second pass).

Aaaah.I needed a third read of your masking post in order to understand. I thought you had used SQUARES of masking tape. Instead you used strips. Yes, it's easier and less error-prone. Sorry for my dumbness.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

Thanks, Chris! :thumbsup:

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2019, 06:43:17 AM
Although I have to admit I might have trouble with the proximity of the cheques and the Sky paintwork if I'd had a few pints the night before  :lol:

Actually, from certain angles, under certain conditions, this scheme could really do your head in & be very effective at breaking up the aircraft's silhouette. :blink:

Quote from: loupgarou on November 07, 2019, 07:18:26 AM
Sorry for my dumbness.

No need, didn't happen. Nothing "dumb" said. :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Very good!!!! See I knew it would be alright.  :angel: :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-