Do 535/2

Started by Gondor, January 17, 2017, 10:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I'm thinking of building the above aircraft which was inspired by my recent purchase of the Airframe & Miniatures No9 by Valiant Wings Publishing on the Do 335 Pfeil. However the Do535/2 I intend to build uses a Laminar flow wing with extended tips. Does anyone have any information on the differences between the usual wing and the Laminar wing?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

The laminar flow wing had the thickest part of the wing farther back from the leading edge compared to previous designs. This kept the air flowing evenly over the surface for a longer period before breaking away from the surface into turbulence. This reduced drag and increased range and speed. I'm not sure if the appearance of a laminar flow wing compared to previous designs would be visible on a model. If there was a wing fold perhaps a person who knew what to look for might see it but not many others.
Sounds like an interesting idea. Go for it!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Is this the beast we're talking about? :unsure:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1743

Not being a major aircraft expert, I sometimes struggle with what you guys are talking about if you don't have images.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on January 17, 2017, 03:36:38 PM
The laminar flow wing had the thickest part of the wing farther back from the leading edge compared to previous designs. This kept the air flowing evenly over the surface for a longer period before breaking away from the surface into turbulence. This reduced drag and increased range and speed. I'm not sure if the appearance of a laminar flow wing compared to previous designs would be visible on a model. If there was a wing fold perhaps a person who knew what to look for might see it but not many others.
Sounds like an interesting idea. Go for it!

I have actually come up with a plausible way to use the kit's wings so that I don't have to scratch either new wings or to alter the existing wings.

It's all in the back story, or will be  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 17, 2017, 06:32:20 PM
Is this the beast we're talking about? :unsure:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1743

Not being a major aircraft expert, I sometimes struggle with what you guys are talking about if you don't have images.

Looks like it

Gondor