A Pe-2 Torpedo Bomber

Started by NARSES2, January 18, 2017, 07:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well I'll put my place mat down.

Mine will be a torpedo bomber version of the Pe-2. I may well re-engine her if I can find something suitable, radials perhaps ? Also I may well do away with the bomb aimer's position and give her some heavier nose armament to help put those flak gunners off their aim.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Excellent.
Coincidentally my Henschel Torpedo Bomber of the Battle of Britain GB was built from one of these.
IIRC Matchbox Do 217 engines fit easilly.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I don't think I've got anything engine wise in the stash but I'll have a look under the table at Huddersfield for a cheap donor.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

If they exist, a couple of cheap La(GG)-5's or La(GG)-7's would be decent donor kits for radials - Shvetsov ASh-82FN 14-cylinder, two-row, air-cooled radials (1,385 kW (1,850 hp) each).

The original had Klimov M-105PF liquid-cooled V-12's (903 kW (1,210 hp) each) or Klimov VK-107(A)'s (1,082 kW (1,450 hp) each), so you'd end up with a more powerful beastie.

BNA's listing in 1/72 (only 1 of 5 available, right now - the most expensive): http://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&categories_id=14&scale=1%2F72&search_in_description=0&keyword=la-&inc_subcat=0

Or this from ModelKitsOnline (don't know how many they have): http://www.modelkitsonline.com.au/pages/main/dataDisplay.php?Key=4298&Group=Aircraft
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

From Airvectors:
A prototype, apparently a rebuild of an early production Pe-2, and 22 production Pe-2s were actually built with Shvetsov M-82FN air-cooled radials, the first of these machines flying in June 1942. The aircraft featured big prop spinners to improve streamlining, and the unneeded radiators in the wings were replaced by fuel tanks. The higher power rating of the M-82 provided improved performance, but there were engine reliability problems; although there was work to resolve them, the Lavochin La-5 single-engine fighter had priority for M-82 engine deliveries. There was some notion of redesignating Pe-2 aircraft with M-82FN engines as "Pe-4" machines, but the entire exercise was abandoned.

Also referenced as Pe-2/M-82 (airwar.ru) and Pe-2/Ash-82 (Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft, pg 284).

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/pe2m82.html
(3 photos and a 3-view)

kerick

This sounds more interesting each time I look here. I'll be watching this one!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 19, 2017, 08:27:40 AM
If they exist, a couple of cheap La(GG)-5's or La(GG)-7's would be decent donor kits for radials

That's what I'm going to be on the lookout for  :thumbsup:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on January 19, 2017, 12:27:36 PM

Also referenced as Pe-2/M-82 (airwar.ru) and Pe-2/Ash-82 (Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft, pg 284).

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/pe2m82.html

I did see that when I had a quick glance at my copy of the Osprey book Jon, but as I was just checking on the torpedo carrying part of my build I assumed it was another type completely  :banghead: Cheers  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Makes the whole thing more believable, if the Sov's trialed the engines, easy enough to say they went with the more powerful engines so it could maintain performance levels with a torpedo attached. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Geoff

I do like this idea - so close yet so far from real life, superb. Remember when you decal that naval Pe-2s had their serials in a different place from VVS aircraft

perttime

Female pilots needed help from the gunner for getting a heavily loaded PE-2 off the ground.

NARSES2

Quote from: Geoff on January 23, 2017, 03:31:56 AM
I do like this idea - so close yet so far from real life, superb. Remember when you decal that naval Pe-2s had their serials in a different place from VVS aircraft

Didn't know that Geoff, cheers.

Captain Canada

I haven't seen that box yet either....great stuff ! I could see building a sort of small B-17 out of it.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CANSO

You can also use the engines or even the complete nacelles from a Tu-2 and after that start another whif with the Pe-2 engines/Tu-2 body.

ICM's Tu-2 is not that expensive for bashing. Aviatrak even repacks the same model with torpedos.

Just a thought :rolleyes: .